Trailer Trash

"Crawl for Your Life" Mondaily (Read 21 times)

AT-runner

Tim

A trail runner broke his ankle and crawled for 8 hours on a trail in Olympic NP.  Pretty incredible survival story, but first thing I thought was make some crutches, but maybe not possible. Glad he's safe. Also glad the papers aren't calling him a "jogger" like you usually see. He was out for a 20 miler at least.

No run today. Bike ride on trainer tonight is planned. Time will tell.

Just watched "The Stranger" on Netflix.  A British mystery where everything is all solved in 8 episodes. Makes me want to download and read the book on which it was based.

QOTD:  I usually read the book before seeing a show or movie, but do you ever see a movie or show and then decide to read the book?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Wow- quite a story- good on him!

I’m officially not a bachelor anymore! 

Woke up to snow and ice this morning, so much for our Spring weather Sad

Will hit the trails with Tiny Elvis after work

qotd: not too many, but one I remember was Blade Runner (loved that movie!), the novel had a completely different name, but it was good too.  I’ve enjoyed the Last Kingdom on Netflix and evidently it’s based on a series of novels and think I will give them a go

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

SRD.

Yes I saw the article, I have to admit I have thought about that kind of thing happening when I go out by myself on a seldom used trail. It's one thing to go out there knowing that others will likely be around, but mid-week runs on a remote trail are another thing.  Reminder to tell someone your basic plan and scheduled check-in time. I usually send my DW a text as soon as I get back to the car.

qotd: I usually read the book first, don't think I've ever read a book after I've seen the movie.

tbd.

dhuffman63

Trails

It's raining again here.  Seems like that's all it does anymore.  My gravel road is more mud and potholes than anything else.  Still coughing still feel like crap.  Worst part is I have no appetite and am dropping weight I can ill afford.  Surely this will end soon.

qotd: I read much more than I watch movies so it's rare.  If I hear of a movie based on a book I'll try and get the book first though.

XtremeTaper

Yikes on the trail runner.

Back up north after 2 weeks in the mild mostly sunny south. One thousand mile drive yesterday went pretty well, 16:15 overall time. I do not believe that is a PR as I've broken 16 going southbound. Northbound is trickier as I usually hit the DC area around 6-7pm and there always seems to be weekend traffic. Waze routed me off I95 for about 60 miles. Not sure it saved me more than a few minutes. Slow going with some traffic signals in sections but at least I was not stopped dead on the interstate/beltway.

Usual dog wog routine this morning, but had to remember to layer up, though it was not overly cold. Just not shorts and short sleeve weather like I have been experiencing. I should hit the gym at lunch, and enjoy one of the trails this evening. Mild day here, upper 50's!

QOTD: I am sure it's happened but it usually goes the other way.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

runtraildc

Good morning. No run yet today, but will probably do some hill work around the neighborhood. Or might fit in something when DS is at PT (yes, again. Ugh)  Chowder is officially out of the cone and we resumed our morning ball game in the tennis court this morning. He was so happy, tail wagging, butt wiggling the entire time.  Will wait a few more days before a run, though.

Moon-- Will you post pictures of the sandhill cranes? Very jealous-- they're such amazing birds and I've never been that close up (except at the zoo, which doesn't really count)

XT- welcome back. I'm a good long distance driver, but that is a bit beyond me.  I tend to cap out around 12-13 hours for a day.

qotd: Nothing comes to mind. I'm not a huge movie buff so connecting those to books is a stretch on a good day for me.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Slow go this morning....it’s my day off (shit I thought I retired ) so no hurry.  Plan is a long run....as in long for me.  So 9 ish.

Crawling....he said he had to crawl a certain way so the broken ankle wouldn’t flop the wrong way .  I was wonder why he didn’t figure some splint.

Qotd:  I don’t think so.  And the books ate usually way better than the movies.

Warden:  so your wife did return to you.  She must of missed Tiny E 

sandy:  in the movie 124Hours about the guy who cut his arm off.....my favorite line was something like....”Always tell someone where you are going...I know this because I do search and rescue.....yet I rarely tell anyone..”.

Duffman:  Get better before you blow away!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

RD if you don't count the walk with the LRS group this evening.

qotd:  If I've read the book, I rarely will watch the movie.  The film industry (I hate to blame only Hollywood) has a habit of changing and adding too many things to the detriment of the movie.  On the other hand, I've read a number of books, and enjoyed them, because they were brought to my attention by a movie.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Happy Monday! Another SUNNY day, around 34 degrees, feels like 28. Should run outside but will go to gym for running and other workouts today. I have till the end of this month before membership expires so want to take advantage of the gym equipment.

Am I the only one who had an awful side effect to Shingrix vaccine? Each of the dose (2 doses) wiped me out!! Achiness in every joint/muscle, total malaise, chills, holy cow!! Yep, it was a "crawl for your life" rest days Thurs and Fri.

Got in a great 6.2 miler on Saturday.  Rest Sunday.

qotd: I love to read, and prefer to read a book than watch a movie. DH will buy the book for me while he watches the movie, LOL!!  One can get so much reading done while waiting for appts, standing in line, etc. I'm not surprised that movies/series based on books tend to not follow every detail. I don't lose sleep over it.

XtremeTaper

az2mtntrail - I did the shingles vaccine last year. The first shot and the booster made me sore and tired with a crudlike feeling. So I guess it's pretty normal. I think runtrail had similar issues.

runtrail - Yeah, I hear you on 12-13 hours. It's a good limit. The drive to FL where my parents live just exceeds that by a few hours so I typically just get up and go for it in one day. Of course sometimes I95 has other plans for us. Took us 20+ over the holidays. I am glad to hear Chowder is done with the cone of shame. Yay for happy wag tail springers!

Sue - The idiots guide to retirement... coming soon to your nearest bookstore and amazon prime!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Sandy-2

sandy:  in the movie 124Hours about the guy who cut his arm off.....my favorite line was something like....”Always tell someone where you are going...I know this because I do search and rescue.....yet I rarely tell anyone..”.

Sue, I have to admit, there are times when I forget to tell anyone where I'm going to run. Hopefully I'll never have to cut off my arm or crawl home on one of those runs.  I'd hate to be one of those "Silver Alerts"....  but all joking aside, I'm really glad that the guy made it back and is safe. He's one of us afterall.

tbd.

moonlightrunner

Crawling: wow...that is a tough and smart guy...so glad his cellphone had a charge. I am going to guess there was a reason why crawling was less painful...I hope I never have to know.

Did you read about the old couple they found this weekend who had been lost since valentine's day? They survived by drinking out of a puddle.

Went to see my surgeon today. Oddly enough, ne had a scope on a small meniscal tear around the same time he scoped me. He said he is not running yet. He said more time might help me...buuuuutttt...I am being g fitted for a brace to reduce lateral movement and to help absorb shock. I am going to just try to add one short run on clear, soft trail to my deep water stuff, and continue to try and strengthen my quad. Adding ankle weights and interval training to my deep water stuff.

Qotd: I am ashamed to say I rarely read any more. Most of the movies I watch are on demand...many of them old because I rarely watch them. I was very glad I had read the Lord of The Rings trilogy many many times before the movies were made...it made the movies very enjoyable.

Run Trail: I will try to post pics. We named them Fred and Wilma. We really enjoy them.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Holy cow, that runner really had some grit and determination.  Can't imagine how much pain he must have been in with a "detached tibia".

That older couple (77 and 72) were missing -- and fortunately found alive -- not too far north of the SF Bay Area.  The only reason people started searching for them was because they did not check out of their AirBnB as scheduled and the cleaning person found all of their stuff there (wallets, baggage, car).  So the owner got concerned and called the police.  No one expected them to be found alive after 8 days.   They were at the bottom of a ravine and survived by drinking water from a puddle.

And me, no, I rarely tell people where I'm going for a run.  I should probably be better about that since stuff can go wrong even on familiar trails.  I usually carry a phone, but it's not much use if there's no signal.

Moonlight, I hope the knee brace helps.

AT, apparently "joggers" are the ones who find bodies whereas "runners" have miraculous survival stories.

Speaking of survival stories, I survived my colonoscopy today.    It was highly unremarkable.  Well, except for my heart rate (upper 30s, low 40s), which freaked people out a bit until I told them that I run a lot.  I'm taking today and tomorrow off from running so my system can get back to normal.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Moonlight:  take more time...cool your heels...better in the long run. (Lol no pun intended)  what’s another week or two.  Read a book 

I ran almost 6 then drove the dogs home and did another almost 6 for 11 miles...yes! Yes!  Getting out of my short run milage....my time with the dogs. 13.58 pace..yes more hills but also more pee stops...time without dogs 9:32 pace.......they’re killing me!!!

i broke my arm one time and had to ride a quad back to our camp...just my opinion...AT can weigh in.... but once you break a bone the adrenaline takes over as a pain killer and you have almost 2 hours to react before it hurts.  (Ok maybe it was the beer wearing off and yes it was just a wrist and not a leg).  

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

I got to the gym around the same time that the track team takes the track so it was the TM. Finished only 4 sluggish miles till the last mile,but decided that was enough. Finished with 15 min elliptical, 10 min cycling. The TM provides the incline that my right knee prefers over the flat track. Had a huge bowl of salad. Then DH comes home with 4 boxes of Girl Scout cookies 

RE: injured runner. He placed his shoes underneath his knees to keep crawling. Amazing! trail runners are tough. I leave a note for DH when in MN and text for my neighbor when in AZ. I enjoy the solitude on the mt trails but I'm also aware of what could happen. So far, the few times I fellwhen alone, it was only scrapes on legs but when with others, it resulted in turning ankles. Still could jog on it, not smart but only way to get back to trailhead.

Moonlight: I wear a knee support on my right for stabilization (lateral movement). One of the ortho doc mentioned that I must have had an ACL injury, I think I know when that happened but I took it as a 'running injury' ...... took couple of months off because it kept swelling up. Doc couldn't believe I've run ultras all these years after that but concluded it was because I strengthen my leg muscles. So doc suggested I run on it till it falls apart, then possibly knee replacement.........sounds good to me!