Trailer Trash

Best tips and some advice for night running on trails (Read 59 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

After getting started and figuring out some basics of night trail running myself, I thought many of you have quite some experience to share, and perhaps we could collect and share some thoughts on how to get the best out of night runs.

So here's my tips:

- Do night runs only if you are perfectly happy with the thought of being alone out in the woods in the dark, or have a buddy run with you. You will hear many unfamiliar animal sounds, and they will creep you out at times. Don't panic, and at first run on trails which provide an "escape shortcut" (e.g. parallel to a road, or looping around a parking area), if possible, so that you can cut the run short quickly if you feel it gets too scary.

- Start on trails you are familiar with. Those ones, where you think you know every turn, every rock, every root. I have noticed that it is easy to get lost in the dark, or to take a wrong turn, or to miss an intersection, even on familiar routes. It is also much easier to miss a landmark, leaving you to guess as to where exactly you are, and how far you've run or how far it is to the trailhead. Trails with few intersections or side trails branching off are best.

- Using two lights (one headlamp and a handheld flashlight, or a second light strapped to the chest) gives much better spatial resolution, so that navigating rocks and roots is much easier, leading to less tripping and falling. I am very happy that my lights are different "colors", e.g. the headlamp giving off a blueish-tinted light, and the handheld with a yellowish light. This makes it much easier to align the spots so that the same area is illuminated from different angles.

- Have your first night runs on easier trails, not the most technical ones. Very narrow trails (I have some that are less than a foot wide) are also difficult to run with just a small illuminated visible area. Steep downhills can be very difficult, better walk these and don't run.

- Adjust for the lower speed and lower temperatures in the dark, anticipate that the run will take longer, and bring extra food, water, or clothes (gloves) if you are headed out for a long-ish run.

- Check out the weather before you start. I'm talking from experience here. You won't see heavy clouds or lightning storms coming up, and it is much more difficult to estimate how much time you'd have before the storm breaks loose.

- Be aware of nocturnal animals. Frogs, salamanders, snakes, etc. might cross the trail, and you don't want to step on these little fellas. Pocupines, racoons, skunks and other rodents might appear on the trail, and deer often take off suddenly into the bushes. Try not to blind them with your lights.

I have not figured out yet what to do about bears (or mountain lions, if they are in your area).

*Please add on!*

Mandy, do you think this is worth a "Sticky"?

Run for fun.

Chnaiur

This is great, thanks for creating it!

I'd only add is that in many places it is entirely possible to run without a flashlight for at least an hour after sunset. If you are out in nature as the sun is setting, your eyes should adapt enough to let you continue running for a while in the afterglow (i.e. the light from the sun that's reflected in the sky even though the sun itself is below the horizon).

I'm a lamp-hater since my days in the Swedish army. I feel that flashlights destroy the adaptation to darkness and give tunnel vision by only providing illumination for a narrow spot in front of me. So whenever the terrain and light conditions admit, I'll go without. And that's more often that you would expect.

However, I've never tried the two-lamp trick. I'll do that on my run tonight - I'll probably finish an hour after sunset.

Also, I totally agree on the mental preparedness for noises. During my last night run I had deer take off from both sides of the narrow trail I was on. That's a lot of sudden noise when you are alone in the forest.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

Will run for scenery.

If you are running from daytime through sunset : Don't forget to take off your sunglasses !  (It happens....)

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Chnaiur

If you are running from daytime through sunset : Don't forget to take off your sunglasses !  (It happens....)

Its just a great way to accelerate your adaptation to low-light conditions!

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

AT-runner

Tim

Haha - I wear Transition sunglasses, and I've done this more than once, including a race Big grin

I wear one light on my chest (attached to the straps on my pack) and carry a mini mag light if I need extra illumination.

I've never liked having a light on my head because if you look to your side real quick (to see what that noise was), the light leaves your path.  

My best advice is to not forget your fluid and nutrition needs.  You can become so focused on looking at the trail that it's east to lose track of how often much you are drinking or eating.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Messenjah

I turn on my phone, with music coming out of the speakers, during night runs to "ward off the animals" Smile

moonlightrunner

If u are easily creeped out...don't shine your light off the path into the woods. You are likely to see eyes looking back at you.

Just an FYI...October 18 is the first night of a full Hunter's Moon. Should be an awesome night for a run if the weather cooperates.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Chnaiur

Just an FYI...October 18 is the first night of a full Hunter's Moon. Should be an awesome night for a run if the weather cooperates.

Awesome! I've scheduled a long run for the 17th. Will make sure to make it a night run!

Btw, has anyone here ever had trouble running in parks that are "open dawn to dusk"? It seems like a stretch that the rangers could catch you, especially if you aren't using a lamp.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

AT-runner

Tim

Btw, has anyone here ever had trouble running in parks that are "open dawn to dusk"? It seems like a stretch that the rangers could catch you, especially if you aren't using a lamp.

I've been pulled over 2 times (and given a $60 ticket the second time) for running after sunset on roads in the Gettysburg Battlefield.  The battlefield area is National Park Service land, and even though you can drive around, you can't be on foot after sunset.  The time I got the ticket, I was returning after a 10 miler and left well before sunset.  It was a new park ranger, and when I tried to tell him all the rangers I knew, including his boss, I think I pissed him off.  I just paid the ticket, because I knew the law.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Chnaiur

I've been pulled over 2 times (and given a $60 ticket the second time) for running after sunset on roads in the Gettysburg Battlefield.  The battlefield area is National Park Service land, and even though you can drive around, you can't be on foot after sunset.  The time I got the ticket, I was returning after a 10 miler and left well before sunset.  It was a new park ranger, and when I tried to tell him all the rangers I knew, including his boss, I think I pissed him off.  I just paid the ticket, because I knew the law.

Ha, that sucks. I once received a warning for changing from office clothes to running clothes in the parking lot. I felt that was pretty ridiculous since my dress shirt covered more of my thigh than most skirts I saw that day, and that I was standing behind my car door.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

definitely two lamps- I run w/ one at waist level, the other is a headlamp- I use lower settings than I would if I was running w/ just one light- lengthens battery life- as mentioned the effect of two lights on the trail really helps w/ depth perception and picking up roots/rocks/other obstacles

I'm not running into many folks on the trail here, but at night (early morning) I'm seeing no one on the trails

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Uh oh... now what?

Depending on how wild the area you are running in is, you might give some thought to waiting until full dark to run. It is good experience to run from daylight into dark and from dark into dawn. It is also good to be aware dusk and dawn are prime hunting times.  Generally, the animals you hear are okay.  It is the quiet ones that might be bothersome.

If you are going out in the woods at all, you should have some awareness of what is out there and know a little something about their behavior, around or not around people.

Familiar trails are good. If you are on unfamiliar trails be overly cautious, quick to backtrack, quick to consult a map (if you have one).  Don't get lost farther out.

You should have one light that is not used. It is in your pocket, vest, fanny pack, backpack, whatever. It is checked for brightness before going on a night run. It is the light you use when your other light(s) fail. If you normally only use one light, it is the light you will use if you need to change batteries or bulbs (not with the LED lights). You cannot do those things in the dark. A single LED using one AA or AAA will (might) be enough to get you out safely.

If you are wearing a headlight, please don't turn to me and say, "What?" when I say something to you. You will have just blinded me. Others will appreciate it too (not being blinded by the light, they probably don't care about me).

Teasing the rangers is not a good thing--especially with two thirds of summer gone. They are just as irritable as the tourons.  In our park we are operating on reduced pay, reduced hours, and reduced stuff to do the things we do.  Behave, please.

Changing clothes in plain sight, though "hidden" by a door... you can be out of hiding and in plain sight to flash a passerby... does happen and a person can keep a straight face as he explains to the nice park employee it was an accident. Then it happens again. I realize that is not what you were doing, but it is a way of getting to expose some things best left unseen by people who enjoy it.

On the other hand: There are few things more enjoyable than a night run, especially under a clear sky---either dark so the stars are out or under a full moon where you might not need a light--and loons or wolves or coyotes or owls can be heard--good stuff.

Run gently out there.

Chnaiur

I apologize for straying from the night running topic to legal philosophy. I will refrain from continuing that discussion here.

During my night run last night I tried using a lamp for the last 20 minutes. Putting the lamp around my chest instead of on my head was an amazing improvement! I was less blinded, had more stable light, AND I could make cool shadow creatures with my hands!

Unfortunately I forgot to bring my extra light, so I will have to try the 2-lamp solution next week.

EDIT: Spelling & grammar

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

Uh oh... now what?

I apologize for straying from the night running topic to legal philosophy. I will refrain from continuing that discussion here.

During my night run last night I tried using a lamp for the last 20 minutes. Putting the lamp around my chest instead of on my head was an amazing improvement! I was less blinded, had more stable light, AND I could make cool shadow creatures with my hands! 

No apology needed, just offering the view from a park employee (pay cut from $10.34 to $10.13 this year), hours cut from 40 to 18, making almost every day somewhat tense because I just never feel like I can get everything done.

On the head light thing, do you wear a cap?  Some don't and are pleasantly surprised with how much better a head light is when you have a cap on (light above the bill <= joke).

Edited to incorporate the editing done by the person responsible for the stuff inside the little rectangle up above.  The fun of language differences has me seeing him run down a trail with a lamp (U.S. mind) and a very long extension cord  trailing behind.

Chnaiur

John, thanks for that tip - I'm learning a lot in this thread!

I normally only use a cap when the sun is very strong. I've never really felt comfortable in any kind of hat, probably because my head is very large and thus a poor fit for one-size-fits all hats. This insight shifts the balance a bit further toward wearing a hat, and next time I wear one when it gets dark I will try this trick out.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS