Trailer Trash

sickly saturdaily (Read 203 times)

Birdwell

morning folks. looks like an URD for me. Woke up with what appears to be the start of a cold. Plus it's -9 F with 15 MPH winds out there.

I may try to to get out later today, if I get feeling any better, and the sun comes out.

QOTD: What is your go to, never fails cold rememdy? The one that knocks it out the day you start taking your magic elixer?

I used to swear by Zicam, but lately it doesn't seem to have the same effect. What do you do?

NorthernHarrier

A little sickly myself too. Did run out yesterday morning and got a flu shot, that might be part of it. Didn't sleep well and achy all over.

Did get in a hard session of some mile repeats yesterday so no running today--just some weights here shortly. A lot of our snow melted in the last 24 hours but now we might get a little tonight. Grrr. Plan to run long on trails tomorrow at Rockford so I hope the snow is minimal.

Big day of sports today. Got invited to the Badger game to sit in a luxury suite following a lunch and then of course we Packer fans will (hopefully) be enjoying another playoff win. I'll have to skip watching the cyclocross event as just not enough time.

QOTD--No magical remedy for me. Just over the counter stuff to deal with whatever symptoms I have.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

The cold and the cold out there don't sound very tempting, Birdwell. Better make it a day in bed instead.

I'll try to get in some miles today. I have to, I made pancakes for breakfast, and as only the boys showed up, I had one or two too many of them. Gotta work this off on the trails.

I, too, have had some cold symptoms the last few days, but only very minor, nothing to do anything about. Hope the continued running will get me over it soon.

Harrier: Have fun at the game!

QOTD: Keeping warm, especially the feet (I use DH's thick wool socks). If I can, spend some time on the couch or in bed, but I rarely have that luxury. I like the Zicam, too, but can't stand it any longer than a day or two.

Run for fun.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

get well soon guys, sucks to have a cold Sad  lots of flu going around too, hoping my flu shot is the right one

we're frigid here as well -2F w/ ~ 15 mph winds (we had 30 mph last night Shocked) puts it in the -20-ish range

needless to say I'm heading for the gym this morning- 6 miles on the treadmill or stairmaster, haven't decided which one- doesn't matter as tomorrow is a repeat of today and I'll do the opposite one tomorrow

we may get out skiing this afternoon- it's supposed to warm up to 12 and the sun is supposed to come out- it'll hinge on the wind (or lack there of) if we decide to go- would be nice to do a 10-12 mile loop (fingers crossed)

qotd- I use Zicam- if I start early it seems to minimize the symptoms, I rarely take any over the counter medications for a cold- I do drink a lot of fluids, take some steamy showers and try to take it easy- if the symptoms aren't too bad- sometimes an easy run actually makes me feel better????????

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Scrapster

Morning, Trailers!

Trails are in craptastic shape, so opted for the paved bike path.  A bit more than 24 miles with a running buddy.  Nice run, easy peasy.  Skirt and short sleeves.  In January.  In Michigan.  <shakes head sadly>

Birdwell:  Feel better.

Harrier:  Nice score on the Badger tickets!

FTYC:  Mmmm...pancakes.  Sounds delicious right about now!

mtwarden:  Enjoy the gym and the skiing.  Smile

QOTD:  Home made chicken soup, from scratch.  Yummo and has magical healing powers.  Smile

Morning folks!  Got in a great 20 miles on the trails yesterday (a new area I hadn't been on -- Taylor Mtn.)  This afternoon/evening I'll be running a race I swore I'd never run: the Bridle Trails 50K.  It starts at 3 p.m., so much of it will be run in the dark.  That's not really the issue, but the course is notorious for its mud & horse poop.  However, while we had a deluge earlier in the week, the past two days have been clear, albeit cold.  So I'll probably be running through frozen mud & horse poop!  I decided to run it since it'll be my last long run before Rocky and will give me more practice training in the dark.  I'm even going to start with a headlamp with batteries that are about to die so that I can practice changing them mid-run.

qotd: over-the-counter drugs, sleep, fluids and soup!

Trail Monster

SRD here. Probably a walk later.

QOTD: I swear by Emergen-C. I mix up a packet into a big glass of water and down it as quickly as I can. I never really take 'drugs' for my symptoms so I just depend on rest, hydration, and staying warm to do the rest.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Ridiculous record breaking high temps today. 65F with 90% humidity when I started my run this morning! 6 miles with 4 tempoish. I can't quite run fast enough downhill to keep the effort level where it should be.

qotd: Sleep is my usual go to remedy when sick. When that is not possible, I tend to head for the behind the counter drugs. I become pretty non-functional with sinus congestion.

Pinhoti 100: Finished :D

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

6.6 miles with the local trail runners, along wet trails.

Another 5 with two other guys from the group, through standing water and mud in a few places, my personal favorite!

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

Weegee

Sorry to hear there are so many people down with the crud!  I just got off of a bout of it and can definitely sympathize.

4 fast miles last night and a 50K with frozen horse poop later today, in keeping with the totally erratic workouts for me the past couple of weeks due to being chained to a desk doing a whole bunch of video editing for a client who has a big yearly spectacular event that's a nice little boost to this self-employed serf's income.  I think it's time to change from the current plan that features zero miles during the week and 50 each weekend.  It is, to put it mildly, sub-optimal.

QOTD:  This is sort of a hot button topic for me.  I'm not a working scientist, but have a scientific background and can't help but get fired up about these subjects.  I haven't ranted on it for quite a while, especially in this forum, so stop reading here if you're sensitive to appeals to reason.  Feel free to pillory me.

<RANT TO REASON>

When sick with a cold I typically rely upon regression to the norm, or if it's more severe, would go to a competent western medical provider (i.e. a conventional doctor).  The scientific method is the only tool we have to separate reality from fantasy, and western medicine is based upon its application.

Homeopathic remedies do not and can not work unless the laws of physics and chemistry are wrong.  The concept was dreamed up by Samuel Hahnemann in 1796 and does not stand up to scrutiny.

Typical homeopathic preparations are infinitely small dilutions of substances, to the point where it's more likely that your tap water has a higher concentration of the substance than the "remedy" you're consuming.  When you wash your dishes you are, essentially, creating a homeopathic remedy.

Zicam's original nasal formulation was even worse than a typical homeopathic remedy.  They actually did put zinc in it, but unlike traditional homeopathy (which is, at least, totally harmless because it's inert) it had an effect upon nasal tissues.  Specifically, it can cause anosmia (a loss of the ability to smell).  This resulted in a class action suit and the removal of that formulation from the marketplace.  Their new nasal swab versions contain…  nothing.  The lozenges do contain zinc, but the studies showing efficacy of zinc in shortening the length of a cold mostly have methodological flaws and we're talking about a matter of hours, not days or weeks.

"Alternative medicine" is simply "medicine" that has not been proven effective.

Oh, and massive doses of Vitamin C haven't been shown to work either.

Oh, and GET OFF MY LAWN!  :-)

</RANT>

Scrapster

Weegee - Does this mean you don't agree that chicken soup has magical propensities?  That makes me sad.

Birdwell

So weegee, how do you really feel about it?

that was a very well thought out post, in all seriousness.

Do you have any suggestions for non-hoemopathic remedies?

oh, and after my original post, I looked at myself in the mirrion and said "come on Nancy, it's not that cold,and you don't feel that bad. Put on your big boy pants and go run."

yes, I call myself nancy when I need extra motivation to do things. Nancy is my go to name for self motivation. If your name is nancy,I apologize for offending you.

It worked though. I went out for 5 miles along the multi use path. I was a little disappointed it wasn't colder. My boogers didn't even freeze in my nose.

Weegee

Weegee - Does this mean you don't agree that chicken soup has magical propensities?  That makes me sad.

Jewish penicillin?  Oh, that stuff totally works, but all the magic is in the matzo balls!  Otherwise the most effective treatment is rest and suffering through the process of letting your body create antibodies to the new variant of the virus.  The immune/inflammatory response can be dampened, but I can't see how a true "cure" could exist without some genetic typing or other method of identifying the particular pathogen.  There's a great podcast called QuackWatch by an infectious disease doctor named Mark Crislip that's well worth listening to.  I've spent many a long run listening to him talk about the difference between all the little nasties that assail us.

Okay, EDRW has strapped me back into my five-point restraints, so I'm much calmer now.  :-)

And sorry your boogers didn't freeze, Nancy!  Maybe it will be colder tomorrow…

Scrapster

Kinky.  <wiggles eyebrows>

:P

KreegSauceRuns

13.2 miles and 1,600 ft. of gain in almost 3 hours this morning.  Temps were perfect for my first 'long run' in over a month.  Leg feels great.  Not sure if I'll run tomorrow.  I want to, but I don't know if that'd be the best thing for my shin after this run.  I took it nice and easy and it was really good.  I didn't worry about pace (obviously) as I didn't want to risk hurting it more.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

QOTD:  Never fails cold remedy = DON'T GET SICK.  Sometimes unavoidable but always try and eat well to get the appropriate vitamins/minerals that keep your body in a well state.

1/8/22 - Frosty 50k - 5:21:19 (strava)

3/26/22 - Blackbeard's Revenge 100 - 27:27:06 (strava)

9/30/22 - Yeti 100 - Abingdon, VA - 25:46:01 (strava)

4/1/23 - Umstead 100 - Raleigh, NC