Trailer Trash

Thundering Tuesdailies (Read 38 times)

Irish Luck

Morning everyone! Headed out for an end-to-end run of our beach town (15 miles) with the mister. It is the antithesis of our usual terrain--as we'll start on the boardwalk for 2.5 miles and then hit the roads.

QOTD: What event/activity/memory from childhood do you think today's kids are missing out on?

A: The idea of "just playing." Most summer nights were spent playing Capture or Kick the Can until we were covered in sweat and bug bites. No scheduled play dates or video games. It is some of my best memories from age 13 or so.

BT survivor since 2003. Trail runner since 2009.

I think brain surgery stimulated my running nerve and made me into a trail runner. I'm grateful for both.

runtraildc

Morning!

Last night's planned workout ended up becoming yard work that had been neglected.  While things looks better, my legs are feeling neglected.  So, tonight's run will happen-- 5 or 6 hilly miles with the running group.  Haven't been there in a month, so it will be nice to get out with the group.

qotd:  Just hanging out in the woods (wherever that is-- urban, rural) in unstructured 'play'.  My kids are having their first deconstructed summer with very few camps and scheduled activities.  Yes, they're 'bored', but in a good way.  And, they have time today to finish the weeding Wink

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Morning.  An hour at the gym including 25 min on the step machine.

erbur - hope your run is a god one.  Can you guys run on the beach? that is always fun (at the waters edge)

QOTD: I remember as a kid of just playing outside for hours.  We made up games, built forts, walked through the woods, played in creeks.  Not too many worries about safety as we do today. Seems like you can't just let your kids out to play anymore.  And then there is the video game thing...

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

Planning on a run a little later. I'd need some really long runs (5+ hours), but it seems I don't have the time to get them in. Family objecting. Sad

erbur: It's a good thing to switch things around every now and then - enjoy!

QOTD: Coming from a different culture, there are many things that I enjoyed as a child, that my children don't get the opportunity to experience. I go with the flow, and I find that there are many other things instead, which the kids enjoy just as much.

Still I'd like them to have e.g. a whole week dedicated to a skiing vacation in winter, and then 3+ weeks of summer vacation with the family, traveling through other countries, or to some spectacular sites (Grand Canyon, Alaska,...).

Run for fun.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Did 7 last night...when did it get so hot and humid?

7 more on the plan for tonight, I really enjoyed last nights run and I feel like I have the running itch again...things are looking up!

QOTD: I work in NYC and these kids miss out on swimming.  There are a lot of people (adults) who can't swim (and live on an island).  When I was growing up we spent the whole summer swimming in the Delaware, tubing, rope swinging, etc.  Here, you stay out of the rivers unless you have a boat.

**Ask me about streaking**

NorthernHarrier

Today it is just awful weather wise here. Supposed to 90F and all the humidity and storms to go along with it. Yuch! I think weights and elliptical in front of a large fan is in order. Day off from running but the rest of the week does look good.

QOTD--Well you guys hit on what my friends and I talk about all the time. Kids just don't get to play without parental or team interference. Everything is structured, organized, and coached.  Back in my youth we would all just meet up at the large park daily and pick teams and play whatever sport was in season. No umpires or parents to wreck our fun. If you had a disagreement you would work it out one way or another and then play on.  Everything today is way too structured and too many parents are trying to relive their sporting youth thru their kids or they really believe their kid is the next star.

Morning all. I got in 4 last night plus a frisbee game. It was definitely hot and humid but not as bad as it has been. 

Tonight I'm shooting for a longer run, maybe 7 or 8. We just had a death in my family and I'm looking forward to the stress release later on.

QOTD: I loved playing tag and catch when I was a kid. We also hung out in the woods, played hopscotch and drew sidewalk chalk masterpieces. Not sure if kids don't do that these days, but it seemed a bit more easy going and free 20 years ago than today.

DigDug2

6.7 this a.m. on roads/rail trail/real trail.  Humid but not too bad.

QOTD:  Exploring in the woods alone or with friends is a big one - I spent whole days in the woods as a kid, wandering far from home, and my parents had no clue (or concern) where I was.  We try to give our kids (five between 7 and 14) a lot of unstructured, parent-free play time and freedom, but it's certaintly harder than it was 30 years ago.

AT-runner

Tim

Looks like some early runners out there today.  Just got back from 10 trail miles with a friend.  We used to run together twice a week but now only get together maybe once a month, so nice to catch up (and I mean that literally, since he is faster and I was trying to catch up).

QOTD:  I got to hang out in my Grandfather's Pub when I was a kid and the poor little bastards can't do that now. Big grin 

Otherwise, learning to play and be responsible for your own entertainment was always nice.  It was funny how I never wore a watch, and Mom would say be home at 6:00 for dinner, and I was.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

sugnim

Good morning all.  A quick 3.5 miles along the rive with the dog this morning.  Lots of swallows were flying in & out of their mud nests they've built along a bridge, and there was a little doe that spooked us as we ran past her.  A nice way to get the morning started, even if it was a short run.

QOTD:  I don't know.  I guess each generation shakes their heads at the generations that follow, but I really don't think that any one generation got it right.  People today complain about video games & texting, but in my youth, the adults complained about cable TV and 3-way calling, and before that I'm sure there was something else.  Where I live, I see kids playing in the river, at the parks, skateboarding (another thing they complained about my generation for), bicycling, making mischief, and yes, playing with their phones, but I don't think childhood is too much different for today's kids unless they have parents who try to make it different.

Trail Monster

Supposed to get in 10k tempo today. Not sure when or if it will happen. Really missing my treadmill right now.

QOTD: My kids can't go outside and play unsupervised here. But my family has an 80 acre horse farm so they spend every other week in the summer riding horses, chasing chickens, running around the fields, picking berries, going to a country church, etc. I think it's a good balance.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Daydreamer1

Hope to get in a few miles after work tonight but most likely something will get in the way and spoil it.

QOTD: Kids need fewer over protective adults. I think most of the comments hit the nail on the head. Kids don't get enough unstructured time. There's always an over protective adult standing around spoiling the fun.

LB2

Ripped up some new trails this morning before work. I love living in the woods...

QOTD: I think playing outside after dark. But I don't know if that is a "today" thing. It may be a "where you live" thing. When I would spend the weekend at a friend's house who lived in town, we were always told to be in by dark. The question in my mind was always, "Why? It gets fun when the sun goes down." I think that is why I am so fond of races/runs that go into the night.

LB2

under a rock

Still on rest because of my back.

QOTD: Kids are missing out on getting to roam free around their neighborhoods. That being said, in my hood there aren't a lot of kids. The ones that do live here have parents that both work full time. I think I'm probably one of the few stay at home moms here. So there are no other kids during the day for my 5 yr old to play with. The other kids aren't around until after the parents are home and by then we're having dinner and getting set for bed. So my son goes to a camp so he has other kids to play with. He has much more fun there than he does at home having to play alone. We see the other kids some on the weekend but it's so hit or miss that he's never managed to make friends with them. So camp and setting up play dates are a must for our family.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I got scared last night when something went bump in the night, weird dreams all caused by a book I am reading..I think.  Hubby is gone so got the willy nillies, and just stayed awake from 12 to 3 finishing the book.  So when it was time to run Earl was whining, nodging trying to get me up.  I figure a run would knock the tired out of me and it did.  4.6 nice little miles with the boy.

Digsug:  Five!!

daydreamer:  I agree with too much spoiling and also wanting to keep peace and be a friend.

QOTD: Playing outside all day all alone, no adults so we did it all on our own, we organized the games, made up the rules, decided amongst ourselves who was right or wrong, settled disputes (if we went to the parent they usually just said You need to work it out or most likely I don't want to hear it.  Don't play with them then!!)  We were sooo independent.  Both my husband and I would be locked out of the house on some saturdays by our Mothers....Go Play!!!  We drank water out of a garden hose, junk food and candy was a rare treat, Micky D's maybe twice a year  we were almost all healthy.  Ok I am rambling...growing up i the 60s and 70s was the BEST!!!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄