Trailer Trash

How many barefoot runners do you know? (Read 60 times)

Chnaiur

I was thinking about this during my run yesterday: every single person I know who has tried shifting into barefoot or minimalistic running has lost months due to Achilles and/or Planar Fascia inflammations. So here is a question:

1) How many people do you know who transferred a significant portion of their volume to minimalistic or barefoot running.

2) How many of those did not lose a few months of running due to foot or achilles injuries?

It would be very interesting to get some more data.

Here are my answers:

1) Five

2) Zero

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

Occasional Runner

This should draw out a few lurkers and trolls.

I have never met anybody that made a successful conversion. I know dozens of people that fell into that fad but abandoned it for various reasons.

runfastandie

Not one.  I "see" some at races- but no one I run with regularly.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I do all my road running in VFF's.  Last year I did about 30 miles completely barefoot (not a huge amount).  I think I will do the same this year, maybe closer to 100 barefoot miles.  I like the feel of running barefoot.  I also think it helps with my form and being light on my feet.  Maybe once a week in nice weather.   I will say that I have never had a blister from running and I've never lost a toenail.

As far as transition time...I was pretty much a beginner and started minimalist, so no comment on that.  I have had some foot tendonitis issues, but I credit that to general TMTS...no issues with the achilies.  I use NB MT1010's on the trail, which are minimalist but do have padding, a rock plate, and are reasonably traditional (right tool for the job!).

I don't have anything to compare to because I started at the height of the fad...now I'm just hoping VFF can continue to support a line of running VFF's while the fad crashes back down.  If not, I think I would be fine in about any shoe with a wide toe-box, low stack height and 4mm or less drop.

So you all know 1 a-hole still riding the minimalist bandwagon Wink

[edit] I really wish I had before and after pictures of my feet...much more shapely and muscular looking now, I also gained a shoe size.

**Ask me about streaking**

AT-runner

Tim

I know 2 people that tried the VFF's for a bit and one lasted 1 month and the other maybe 3 months.  The one that lasted 3 months wears Hokas now.  I don't know any barefoot runners.

edit: I know Jamezilla, so I lied, I know 1.

Jamezilla - It's not unusual to gain a shoe size when you start running.  Doesn't matter if you are shod or not.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Uh....now I guess I know 1 since Jamzilla said so.  But I haven't really known any.  I do think it has been a fad but I am all about if it works for you then just do it.  If I thought I could get away with it, I would.  My feet just seem to really not be made for running, or running in shoes, or I don't know...

I did recently come across a research article though on this http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1466853X11001040

It won't give access to the full article but through my schooling I have access to it (in case anyone wants a PDF version I can send via email).  The article is called

A comparison of the spatiotemporal parameters, kinematics, and biomechanics between shod, unshod, and minimally supported running as compared to walking

The abstract is on the site but just not the full article.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

None.  Sometimes I see a guy running around my neighborhood in VFFs.

Full disclosure: I own a pair of New Balance Minimus shoes.  I wear them around in the summer, but do not run in them.

Running is dumb.

Messenjah

I was actually just thinking about this last night during my run. I am dealing with some achilles/calf issues right now and trying to figure out how to take care of it. I have been running in NB 101's as my road and primary trail shoe for almost 3 years now. I do SOME barefoot (not in VFF's or anything similar) training to the tune of 3-4 miles a week. A couple of years ago I was doing more miles BF but I like my shoes too much.

A couple of weeks ago when I was out for a run I decided to go BF for 1/2 mile and BOOM something in my achilles/calf has not felt good ever since. Now I am trying to figure out how to get this thing worked out.

On a similar/side topic, for massaging the calf area what are the real differences as far as effectiveness between "the stick", a foam roller and a plain old rolling pin?

NorthernHarrier

[edit] I really wish I had before and after pictures of my feet...much more shapely and muscular looking now, I also gained a shoe size.

They will probably continue to grow. When I started running in 1981 my first ever pair of true running shoes( I think Saucony Dixons) were size 9. I now wear 13"s in about everything.  You know what they say about big feet.... Big grin

you buy big shoes.

jonferg67

Endless trails

I've been running long enough (1998) to see fads come and go. The whole

barefoot thing was something I just had to check out for myself, when I

first read about it my bullshit meter was pegged. Last spring I did 2 short

runs a week barefoot in addition to regular runs, still maintaining my

avg weekly mileage, the longest I ever went was 4 miles. It was fun to

just try it, and it may or may not have improved my form.

I see people at races wearing the vibrams, but I don't know anyone

personally that runs completly bare. I guess just like anything people

will take it too far, but I see it as another tool in my running toolbox.

Let the controversy continue....

NorthernHarrier

But then again

I don't really give a fuck what anyone thinks of me, so I'll keep doing whatever I want.

Let the controversy continue....

You non-conformist are all alike.Smile

All my running friends are old crusty ultra guys who don't get caught up in fads. The other day I saw a dude running barefoot on the grassy ski trails at Elver park. He was flying. Have to say I kind of envied him but my arches would scream and I am way too old to try to do any sort of transition. So if you can do it--more power to you, enjoy.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

All my running friends are old crusty ultra guys who don't get caught up in fads.

So I'm an old crusty ultra guy now, am I?  Cry  It's all been downhill since I hit 30.

Running is dumb.

NorthernHarrier

So I'm an old crusty ultra guy now, am I?  Cry  It's all been downhill since I hit 30.

I thought of you as I typed that and almost put in except Mandy. Ooops!

I ran by where your avatar was shot this morning. Pretty effin' hot out there today.

Edit-- there was a homeless guy sleeping just to the right of where you are in the picture and a goose family with some goslings that looked just hours old right there. Even though there are way too many geese around it was still cool.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

One guy I know did the immediate switch to VFFs and within a month wound up with broken a tarsal.  Over a year later and he still has some lingering pain when trying to run in regular shoes.

There is another hippie woman I know that runs completely barefoot all of the time and she's been doing so for years.

You people have issues 

Holden McGruyen

I don't know anyone (real people, not internet forum people) who runs completely barefoot, although I've tried it a few times. I like how my bare feet feel on pavement and soft ground so I still walk around the yard and neighborhood barefoot a lot. For "real" running I wear shoes.

I see a ton of people in town who wear minimalist shoes (Merrell, New Balance, etc.) but the Vibram Five Finger has virtually disappeared. I see people out running in minimalist shoes but I don't know what percentage of their miles they use them.

I still prefer shoes that are advertised as minimalist but I call it "marketing minimalist" meaning they have a low heel drop but normal sole thickness.

Edit: I ALWAYS remove my shoes at the door. I don't know how people walk around inside their house wearing shoes.

I'm Holden McGruyen. Would you like to join me?