Trailer Trash

Canines and Muzzles when on Trails (Read 40 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I've been thinking about this a lot, since googling and researching and reading opinions on unleashed dogs while on trails. So far in my hiking/running/walking experience on trails I have not met an aggressive dog, neither has Rocky and he is probably the friendliest dog out there. There isn't a person/dog he hasn't met that he wasn't crazy about, though sometimes the feelings aren't mutual. On one blog or whatever, a person ranted about if an unleashed dog were to run up to his leashed dog in a friendly manner, his dog might not want to engage or say hi and bite that dog. First: an unleashed dog can get away if need be, second: most dogs understand that growling or baring of teeth is a warning of leave me alone, and even if a dog snaps at another one it doesn't mean there will be blood, snapping at another dog is like a mother smacking her child's hand away from the cookie jar.  Third: if someone is so worried about their dog being aggressive even on leash, why not muzzle them? I don't mean those tight muzzles, but the ones that are large enough for them to drink and pant but won't allow them to bite another dog or human. Also, maybe for unleashed dogs, would it reassure another runner/hiker if a loose dog has a large muzzle on? I'm just curious and constantly thinking of these things, because I love having Rocky off leash, he enjoys it, I enjoy being able to focus on my stride and the ground but sometimes I will leash him if I see anybody ahead of us...... especially if they have a dog because you never know until you ask.

What do you think? Would you be comforted by a dog wearing a muzzle off leash? As the owner of the dog, would you be okay muzzling your dog while out hiking or running, even if you know your dog is friendly and wouldn't hurt another person or dog? Would it concern you more if you saw a dog with a muzzle running loose or even leashed?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

As a runner, dog-lover, and veterinarian, I have a few suggestions.  If you run with your dog off-leash, please be sure your dog has impeccable social skills and obedience training. If you can't halt your dog on command into a down-stay and be able to call your dog "off" and into an instant recall, keep him leashed. You don't know how the next dog and its owner will react. You don't know if that dog and/or owner have reason to fear other dogs, no matter your dog's good intentions. One or both may have been victims of previous dog bites/attacks.  Not every dog wants to play with every other dog.  Some dogs are recovering from previous abuse or trauma and one uncontrolled confrontation could undo months of work.

As for a dog in a muzzle, I'm more confident when I see the owner is able to effectively communicate with his dog and the dog is tuned in to the owners request/direction.  I'd rather see an unleashed, well-trained dog than a goofy lunging-at-the-end-of-the-leash barely controllable but muzzled dog. As a runner, I also thank other folks who put their dog in a sit-stay as I pass.  I don't expect them to accommodate me, but I appreciate that they realize not everyone wants to play with their dog.

Sandy-2

I'm usually more worried about tripping over unleashed dogs.

tbd.

skeene07

Dirty Girl

Yes. Yes. And yes!

As a runner, dog-lover, and veterinarian, I have a few suggestions.  If you run with your dog off-leash, please be sure your dog has impeccable social skills and obedience training. If you can't halt your dog on command into a down-stay and be able to call your dog "off" and into an instant recall, keep him leashed. You don't know how the next dog and its owner will react. You don't know if that dog and/or owner have reason to fear other dogs, no matter your dog's good intentions. One or both may have been victims of previous dog bites/attacks.  Not every dog wants to play with every other dog.  Some dogs are recovering from previous abuse or trauma and one uncontrolled confrontation could undo months of work.

As for a dog in a muzzle, I'm more confident when I see the owner is able to effectively communicate with his dog and the dog is tuned in to the owners request/direction.  I'd rather see an unleashed, well-trained dog than a goofy lunging-at-the-end-of-the-leash barely controllable but muzzled dog. As a runner, I also thank other folks who put their dog in a sit-stay as I pass.  I don't expect them to accommodate me, but I appreciate that they realize not everyone wants to play with their dog.

http://staceyrunsandeats.blogspot.com/

4/13 Bull Run Run 50 miler- DONE!

XtremeTaper

A leashed dog got away from it's owner and bit my unleashed dog a year or so ago. We had to take her in for stitches. So leashes don't always work as you say.

My gsp behaves very well. She will run alongside me when commanded and I always have a leash in hand just in case. Most times I use it when we encounter other dogs but not always. Sometimes we will stop for a moment and let the dogs interact. It's a situational thing, but most often we just trot on by. I can't tell you how many people smile when they see me out with my dog.

Muzzles. We have to put one on the springer when we clip his nails. He doesn't like that. Never made him wear one on the trail but I've seen a few people that do. I suspect they are exercising caution and assume the dog may be a bit aggressive.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

What about using remote shock collars for training? How do you feel on that subject?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Running is dumb.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I don't care if dogs are leashed/unleashed...whatever.  If the owner is in control of the dog (leashed or otherwise) I am not bothered.  If I see a dog with a muzzle on, I assume that the muzzle is there for a good reason.  I would not want to see an unleashed dog with a muzzle heading my way and my defenses would certainly be up.

**Ask me about streaking**

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I don't get the muzzle fear.  It's safer to be approached by a dog with a muzzle than a dog without one.  At least then you know the owner is conscious about the dog having issues.  And 99% of the time it will be because the dog has an issue with other dogs, not with people.

Running is dumb.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

I have a rescue with a past . He is leash aggressive with other dogs , not all dogs just specific dogs . I will keep him off leash as much as I can and he is fine . A dog he would lunge at on a leash he'll trot past,  maybe a butt sniff , loose . He has no issues with people and typical of his breed he is standoffish with people he doesn't know , passes them like they aren't there .

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

What about using a remote shock collar to assist in training? I'm going to try and use one along with commands of course, I should receive it sometime next week. And even though I try to run before dawn when nobody is on these trails I run on, I'll use it discourage him from chasing wildlife so that he'll at least come to understand the commands for those times we might run across another person or dog.

PRs

Not a fan. http://avsabonline.org/uploads/position_statements/Combined_Punishment_Statements1-25-13.pdf

What about using a remote shock collar to assist in training? I'm going to try and use one along with commands of course, I should receive it sometime next week. And even though I try to run before dawn when nobody is on these trails I run on, I'll use it discourage him from chasing wildlife so that he'll at least come to understand the commands for those times we might run across another person or dog.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I don't really see it as punishment, but I am a fan of Cesar who lots of people think hits and kicks the dogs so....... I see a shock collar, if used correct as a tool like a mother or adult dog uses a nip or growl to discourage a young pup from acting out or to teach them what is desired in the adult world and not.

Using one worked really well on my ole girl which is deceased, but one time while out walking, DH waited a few seconds after she growled and barked at a large black man, and then pressed the button angrily and with it up on high, hurting her and severely confusing her as the incident had already passed and was out of her mind immediately. I was pissed to say the least, and yelled at him, suffice to say he never held the remote again. It took 3-4 months of using it properly on her when out walking in public before she understood and was great at walking, before I bought it, it was frustrating to walk her around other dogs and people as she wasn't socialized and would pull aggressively to another dog, or bark aggressively if she wasn't allowed near them, women and children had nothing to worry about while men were a different story. Granted, after getting to one, she'd sniff and then completely ignore them.......... so it was frustrating and I hated walking her in public around other dogs, the remote shock collar worked tremendously and helped me with her lack of skills and after that she was a great dog to walk with.

So I don't mind the shock collar when used properly, and with a command so that sooner than later you can use the commands more and use the collar less and less. Rocky is friendly, but a stranger doesn't know that and I need to ensure that the worse doesn't happen. He'll listen for the most part if he sees another person or dog and we're not headed in their direction, it might take 3 times of reminding him to stay with me but it does work. On the other hand, when walking towards another person or dog, he just can't wait to meet them and it can look intimidating to another.

PRs

Low_O2

Not sure about the muzzle. I suppose it is pretty functional, but would maybe scare the average person. If I was concerned with my dog possibly biting someone or another dog, there is no way I would let it off leash. I wish more people would realize their dog is not the perfect angel they think it is and keep it on a leash AND under control. I am all for dogs being off leash if they are well behaved and under control, unfortunately it seems like many owners think their dog is well behaved when it is obviously not.  Almost everybody I come across with a dog says don't worry he/she is friendly. That means nothing to me since every dog that has come after me or my dog(while my dog is leashed and at my side) was supposedly "friendly". Even though I like dogs, I never trust one until I can see they are actually friendly.

As for the E-collar, yes I think they can be very useful when used correctly. And when used correctly are most definitely a humane way to train/control a dog. They should not be used to punish a dog, but to reinforce commands that they already understand. If I know I will have my dog off leash for any amount of time I make sure he has his E-collar on. I rarely have to use it but is nice to have on in case he decides to ignore me when given a command. It could potentially save his life in a dangerous situation.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Very true.

Not sure about the muzzle. I suppose it is pretty functional, but would maybe scare the average person. If I was concerned with my dog possibly biting someone or another dog, there is no way I would let it off leash. I wish more people would realize their dog is not the perfect angel they think it is and keep it on a leash AND under control. I am all for dogs being off leash if they are well behaved and under control, unfortunately it seems like many owners think their dog is well behaved when it is obviously not.  Almost everybody I come across with a dog says don't worry he/she is friendly. That means nothing to me since every dog that has come after me or my dog(while my dog is leashed and at my side) was supposedly "friendly". Even though I like dogs, I never trust one until I can see they are actually friendly.

As for the E-collar, yes I think they can be very useful when used correctly. And when used correctly are most definitely a humane way to train/control a dog. They should not be used to punish a dog, but to reinforce commands that they already understand. If I know I will have my dog off leash for any amount of time I make sure he has his E-collar on. I rarely have to use it but is nice to have on in case he decides to ignore me when given a command. It could potentially save his life in a dangerous situation.

PRs