Trailer Trash

Pre funkin' Fridailies (Read 41 times)

Ultra Cowboy

Since it is after midnight on the East Coast I figgered I would get things started

tonight (Thursday) I had to wait in town for my daughter to return from a Volleyball Game in Napa County.   Since I was "on call" I ordered her a sandwich TO-GO at a Deli near her School and waited in the Tavern portion while enjoying a beer.  She hadn't called yet when I finished the beer, so I ordered another.  As soon as the second was set down I got the call that they were 15 minutes away.  She arrived 10 minutes before she had to be at Basketball 15 minutes away and we had to stop by the house to change yet.

I scarfed down a bowl of Three Cheese Tortellini in Pesto as I threw on my running shoes and shorts, we hopped in the car and got to practice 15 minutes late. I then took off for a 6 mile +/- Tempo run and hoped the beer and Pasta did not rebel at an inconvenient time.

Long story short I took a good 3 minutes off my best time on this course.  No stomach issues, and some mile splits that I've never had so fast before.

I guess this was good practice for novel aid station food eh?

QOTD: What is the most unusual meal you had immediately pre-run or during run?  Good or bad outcome?

WYBMADIITY

Save

mecrowe

Computer Geek

Sounds like a great run Rocky!  Glad the stomach held up.

I got an 8 miler in last night in some new shoes.....Brooks Glycerin 10.  I think they will work as road shoes for the next several months.  I've been doing a lot of running lately in my NB 110 so the Glycerins felt big and bulky....but otherwise felt pretty good.  The arch support might be a touch on the high side for my liking...time will tell....I have 30 days to make up my mind.  Temp was 11 degrees but I was never cold after the first half mile or so.  Overall, it was a great run.

qotd:  nothing here....I'm a fairly new runner and thus far I have been pretty careful with food/beverages at running times.

runtraildc

morning all!  After skipping last night's planned run, did 5 miles this morning.  Still cold and a little slippery, but no wind!  And it was a beautiful sunrise.

Rocky, in reading your post, I was expecting a much different outcome.  I have a strong stomach, but not that strong.

Mecrowe-- good luck in the new shoes

qotd:  Hmm, probably some spicy stirfry or curry, but nothing specific comes to mind.  I tend to err on the side of under-fueling rather than risky-fueling.  But great question as I'm sure we'll hear some good stories.

have a good day!

tjrun

Planning on about 7 miles on the trails after work, then a Girl's Night at Olive Garden and a movie.....perfect Friday night!

QOTD:  Some people don't like to eat much before a long race, but I do.  If I have access to a oven, my go to meal is a Totino's Pepperoni pizza.  Not your typical on the list of "eat this before an ultra" but hey, it works for me.  For just a typical run oatmeal and coffee is standard.

Marley and I had a nice 5 mile trail run.  It was a delightful 18 F with no wind.

QOTD: I can eat just about anything before running. or other strenuous activity.  People thought I was nuts when I was chowing down on a chili dog at the start.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

sugnim

5 speedy (for me) miles after work last night, and I got so frustrated with my rear-blinky red light that I threw it into a trash van half way through the run.  That probably wasn't the smartest thing to do, but it kept falling off, & I hate having to stop to pick something up off the ground while I'm running.  I am so ready for more daylight hours.

Today, it's supposed to get above freezing into the mid-high 30's and rain.  I don't run in that.  So, I hope there's a break.

QOTD:  I always eat pho (Vietnamese noodle soup) or rice & beans the night before a race or long run.  The most trouble I've ever had was when I put extra jalapenos on my pho & my belly burned all throughout a 5K the next day.  I got the idea for the pho after reading about the chef  for the American Olympic athletes--he said the most popular pre-competition meal was chicken pho.  I figured if it worked for the Olympians, then it will work for me.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

Still marveling at my wonderful run in the glistening snow yesterday. Even though it was just 10 deg in the swamp and on the mountains, with considerable wind on the other side of the ridge where my loop returned, I was never cold. Just a wonderful, fast run.

About to head out for some more wonderful miles, planning on lots of mountain fare again. I'll have to get ready for the Hyner 50k!

Rocky: That story is unusual. If it had been me, I would have fallen asleep after the first mile or so. Not very beer-proof, especially with a lot of good food in my belly.

mecrowe: Have fun with the new shoes! Hope they'll work for you.

traildc: Good morning workout! It's always inspiring to run into the sunrise!

tj: Sounds like a sound closure of the week! Have fun!

TT: Nice morning miles! Your dog is just admirable. What breed is it again - something smaller, right?

QOTD: My downfall once in the olden days, when I was in highschool, was rice pudding. It's just my favorite food, and my grandma had made it, so I chowed down A LOT right before the qualifying session for the 800m (my most hated distance - too fast to be comfortable, too long to go fast).

Needless to say, I didn't qualify. Didn't mind too much, though, I preferred having had the rice pudding. Wink

Run for fun.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

morning all- feel like I might be able to consider myself amongst the living today finally- so much for that flu shot

I'll go to the gym this evening if I continue to improve for a lightweight strength workout, hopefully a shorter run on Sat

I frequently run in the early afternoons (especially winters) and my lunch menu is leftovers- which runs the gambit from mild to wild, haven't had any issues- although the run is usually 2 hours or so after lunch, so that might explain the no issue????

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

NorthernHarrier

I have a lunch date with my wife and daughter today. The toddler turns 18. I have survived parenting...at least to this point. I know it will never end but I can celebrate this step.  I'll do an easy jog thing down a nearby bike path after that.  Tomorrow I'll do some sort of long trail hike somewhere and then hopefully a 15miler on Sunday. At least that's the current plan.

mtwarden--Where do you find the time. I thought you spent all your waking hours on long stakeouts in frozen marshes?  I'm curently reading a book at my shack by a warden named Grosz( I think that's the name). It will have to do until your book comes out. Wink

Rocky--I tried running again last Saturday after a couple beers. No PR for me. Lucky to manage at all.

QOTD--I have pretty much iron guts. I can eat anything and run. One of my best marathons was after my bud and I gorged at an all you can eat fish fry and buffet. We were stuffed and miserable yet the next morning we both nailed it. Not exactly how your supposed to do it  I've heard. Just can't drink beer and run but afterwards.....Big grin

Hey y'all. I ended up running 8 outside last night, including 4.5 with the Fishtown Beer Runners, and made some new friends along the way. Had a few brews at a bar in South Philly after the run.

Today will be an unscheduled rest day, I believe. Had 3 scheduled but my legs are not really feeling it today.

QOTD: I usually don't eat much before a run, but a few weeks ago I ran home from the bar after eating a huge chicken sandwich with fries and 3 pints of beer. It wasn't too bad, but it was only about 2 miles.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Another day of nothing.  Spent most of the night up due the little one getting hit with the nasty stomach virus that is going around.   She is only 2 and a half and is not in daycare.  How did she get it? So I expect it now to run through the house.  I am bracing myself.  Needless to say, I needed any sleep I could this morning so I did not go to the gym.  This weekend if full of "stuff" (birthday stuff, church stuff, etc). so unsure when or if I can get in anything.  I guess I can just chalk it up to rest.

Rocky - I expected a different outcome for you too.  Maybe you found a secret mixture of pre run nutirtion!

QOTD: One of my fav pre race meals is an eggel sandwich (bagel with two egg omlet type thing with cheese and ketchup).  I will make one and eat it on the road to the race.  Haven't had an issues yet with it.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Morning, Trailers!

I'm going to try and make myself ride the trainer tonight.  Sigh.  Day 82. Dead

QOTD: I can pretty much eat anything.  My go-to pre-race meal is pasta, because it's safe and easy.  And I've eaten a lot of different things during runs.  Grilled cheese is my favorite.  Bagels filled with hummus are good too.  Quesadillas.  Poptarts.  Soup.  Biscuits.  I'm not very picky.

Running is dumb.

TT: Nice morning miles! Your dog is just admirable. What breed is it again - something smaller, right?

Marley is a German Shepherd, Rottweiler, Welsh Cardigan Corgi mix.  She is about 60 pounds and kind of surprisingly looks like she is mostly lab.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I have a lunch date with my wife and daughter today. The toddler turns 18. I have survived parenting...at least to this point. I know it will never end but I can celebrate this step.

Congrats to little lady NorthernHarrier!

And Rocky, your pesto tortellini sounds delicious.

Running is dumb.

Birdwell

Morning folks! Nothing planned for today. I did my easy Friday run on Thursday, and I was supposed to go to the pool this morning. DW was up all night coughing and hacking, plus I didn't get done with work til midnight.  Luckily the kids seem to be over the cold.

QOTD: I have to think hard about this. nothing really comes to mind. I think I have a pretty strong stomach, it comes from years of eating gas station hotdogs, bad food truck food, and greasy truck stop diners on my way to different job sites.

I tend to stay pretty conservative with food before races.