Trailer Trash

Fridaily (Read 37 times)

LB2

Closing on the house today and going to the hardware store to get a gallon of paint and a moisture barrier for some new laminate flooring in my man cave, which has been pretty much taken over by my daughters. That is okay; a doll house goes good anywhere.

QOTD: Do you have a gym membership and do you use it?

I do not, but I have in the past when I focused on lifting weights exclusively. I also used to work at a gym in college and part-time when I was single. I just don't have much use for a gym now. Any weight training I may do can be done with dumb bells or kettle bells and a bench.

QOTD 2: Do you view your running as part of some lifelong fitness regimen or something you started for specific reasons later in life?

I have always been involved in some sort of fitness for as long as I can remember. Mostly, it was lifting weights. I worked up to some impressive bench presses. I didn't like running at all for a long time. I don't know if it was running in formation in the Marines, which subjected me to being gagged by beer farts from the front of the column or the fact that I was forced to run when they said run. Either way, I didn't like it.

LB2

XtremeTaper

Took the day off yesterday after Wednesday's SUKT run. Will get the gsp out to the trail tonight for an hourish long run. Still very warm forecast here for today.

QOTD1: Yes. THe local gym up the street I've been a member for 15 years or so. I only go once a week now for strength training. They have treadmills there but I never use them. I went on a TM free streak in 2006.

QOTD2: Running came to me in my late 30's. First  as a fitness runner (I did use the TM back then) and after 5 or so years of that decided to run a marathon. Found out I had the endurance gene. Now I view running as more of a lifestyle thing, time to be outdoors with my dogs, though I do get the urge to run fast or do a race now and then.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Wandering Wally

6.2 miles last evening.

QOTD1 - Yes.  I use it periodically in the winter.  My wife gets the membership as a perk for being a swimming teacher at the Y.

QOTD2 - Started running at age 43.  Sort of fitness related, mostly because I have a sedentary job and doing something physical is good for me.  The stress reduction is really nice too.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Occasional Runner

Jo and I are going to run a 10 mile section of the trail that I'm going to run tomorrow for my FKT. We'll spend the rest of the day enjoying Oktoberfest in this little Bavarian town we're staying in. It's really amazing up here.

QOTD1: I do and I try to use it as often os possible.

QOTD2: It's a lifelong fitness regime now, but when I started running 3 1/2 years ago, I was just trying to lose weight.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

5 miles early this am.

LB2 - when your man cave is done, be sure to share pictures

QOTD1: yes and not been using recently but I have a plan to get back there.

QOTD 2: I started in 2008 with a specific purpose (to complete a marathon) but it kind of stuck with me so it's now a lifelong thingy.  Funny how that happened.

Have a great weekend!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

NorthernHarrier

Kind of sucky weather right now and it will continue thru the weekend but like I said before, once you're wet you can't get any wetter. Pouring hard up north and will be thru the night and the next day for my run in the Porkies. Should be "interesting". Have to find my contacts or I may be totally blind. Just have to bring the right attitude and enjoy it.

Good luck to weekend racers and adventurers.

QOTD 1--No.  Have way back when to a club. Also have been a member of a masters swim program at a facility for triathlon training again way back. During a couple brutal winters I have joined the UW shell and run on their indoor track and used their weights and machines. The facility my wife works at has a pool and a fitness center area and have also been a member thru that until it became too crowded.  For the past 15 years or so I have my own man cave complete with a modest universal weight machine, free weights and an elliptical. Cable TV and a refrig. I use that 3x per week and my equipment has easily been paid for  in lieu of club memberships.

QOTD 2--Lifelong fitness. Started around age 23 and I'm now older than dirt.

muppy

Got in 5.5 this morning, ran 3.5 then knee started hurting , so walked it home.

LB2 Congrats on the new house!

QOTD 1 I have a membership, however haven't been there for a while. (Have good intentions to go back......)

QOTD 2 I started running 3 years ago to get my cholesterol levels down, didn't work, still high and still on meds for it. However starting to run is one of the smarter decisions I made!

Daydreamer1

Planning on somewhere between 4.5 to 6.5 miles today. Same as yesterday, just enough of a workout to keep the legs feeling spry but not fatigued for my 50k on Sunday.

QOTD 1: Not currently a member. My local gym has a punch card system and later this fall I will start going. Probably just once a week on average and mostly to work on speed work on the TM. I'll do some strength training while I'm there.

QOTD 2: Both. At heart I'm a bicyclist. AS a kid I always loved riding and still do. I've always wanted to have a active lifestyle, both for the enjoyment and the health benefits. Through my thirties early forties I  ran during the winter if I didn't feel like riding in the cold or after work when it was dark. About three years ago I increased my running with the intent of training for a Triathlon. Then I read a article in Outside Magazine about a local trail run, decided to do it, and have now switched to mostly running with the goal of completing at least one 100 miler. At some point I'll get around to doing the Tri. So I'm more of a fitness enthusiast rather then a runner. If for some reason I would have to stop running I'll find something else to do to remain active.

Low_O2

Happy Friday all!

4.2 miles around the hood with the dog last night. I really need to get back onto the trails one of these days...

QOTD1: No. I can't stand the gym. I've tried a few times in the past but there is nothing inspiring about a gym to me. I hope to have a home gym with some basic equipment one day since I think it would be beneficial.

QOTD2: Part of a lifelong fitness I would say. Only started running regularly about 3 years ago, but have always been very active.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

AT-runner

Tim

Maybe easy run after work or SRD, not sure yet.

QOTD #1 - DW manages a gym that we are part owners (Gettysburg Health and Fitness).  I never go in because when i do I usually have to fix something.

QOTD #2 - Lifelong athlete.  Trail running and ultra's are my current passion, but in the past I've disguised myself as a triathlete, swimmer, mt. biker,  marathoner, adventure racer etc.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

DigDug2

SRD for me - banking energy for race on Sunday.

QOTD 1:  I have a gym at work - run on the TM there on bad weather days, never do any lifting.

QOTD 2:  I've run on and off since I was 26 or so (43 now).  (I also ran XC/track for a couple of years in high school.)  I don't really think of running as a fitness regime for me, more of a hobby/interest.

runtraildc

Hi all, got in an hour of yoga yesterday and am planning for a quick 3 miles and strength training after work.

qotd#1:  Yes, I use it for strength training, yoga and sometimes the TM in bad weather.  Mine is only a few minutes walk from our house, which is essential for me to actually use it.

qotd#2:  Lifetime runner, started 30 years ago in HS track and hope to get in another 30+.  I'll take up swimming again more seriously when running gets too tough (or I have more time for cross training).

Chnaiur

I'm doing 3 miles and weights after seeing the Podiatrist today.

QOTD1: I have two gym memberships: one free at work, which I use the most, and one at a local rock-climbing and weights gym. I got the latter to go climbing with the kids, but in reality I lift there when I work from home.

QOTD2: I started running over spring break when I was 17, in order to qualify for Ranger School in my country. After that, I've never really stopped although I've been focusing on many different sports in 2-3 year intervals: martial arts, rock climbing, adventure racing, skiing, etc. Right now I'm all about skiing and trail running again.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

jonferg67

Endless trails

Happy friday trashers!

SRD for me, I'm sticking to a real rest week this week after meeting

my training goals.

QOTD: No, I don't like the gym either. When I was in the service we had gyms at

most of the units I was stationed, during my 30's I bulked up a bit but then....

QOTD: Started running after I quite smoking in 98', needed something to do with

the nervous tension and drinking water wasn't cuttin it. Now, of course, I'm hooked

and running is as much a part of me as walking.

6 miles of trail for us today.

QOTD1: Yes, but I don't use it as much as I should.

QOTD2: I started in my late 50s, but now consider it a lifelong activity from here on.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida