Trailer Trash

Thirsty Thursdaily (Read 21 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

My work is sponsoring a water drinking contest.  No, seriously.  They gave out water bottles and tracking forms.  It's all a part of Health month or something like that.  So I might actually try and drink water.

No run last night like I intended.  I still FEEL like poo.  I may end up calling the doctor today as some of it is a med reaction that doesn't seem to be going away.  I am super stubborn about going to the doctor's or calling so there is a 50/50 chance it doesn't happen.

QOTD: Do you drink water? If so, how much?

See above. I do not.  DW gets on me for not.  She says the color of my pee is way too yellow/orange and I need to drink more water.

Sorry for all the discussion on poo and pee.  That is just my quirk! 

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

dhuffman63

Trails

Jamie it seems common among athletes, mostly the runners, to talk about poo and pee.  Course when I was doing endurance all the riders would talk about was their horses peeing and pooing and the consistency thereof.   Maybe people are just secretly fascinated by body waste products.

Last week I was so tired every day I struggled to get the 15 miles a week I did.  This week I'm back to feeling energetic.  I did start on Mon doing bodyweight strength training and did another set on Wed.  I'm hoping next week to add another set on Mon and Wed and get 2 in instead of just the one.  At least I'm not sore today.

qotd: Mostly when I'm working out.  During the day I have one cup of coffee then drink green tea with ginger and turmeric.  I'm getting in liquids at least.  My pee is light yellow almost clear. 

I did read somewhere that you can drink too much water and unless you are heavily sweating (then you need electrolytes) you should only drink to thirst.  And of course another article says most people are slightly dehydrated all the time.  Same story with the eggs...eat them, don't eat them.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

4 miles with Tiny Elvis yesterday evening; I had a 45 lb pack on Tiny E refused to wear his pack 

going to hit the trails after work, will lug the pack with me again

qotd: I drink quite a bit of water, always have. Not sure how much in a day, probably at least 2 liters (add a couple of lattes in the morning and a beer or two in the evening Smile)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

5 tough miles in the steamy woods. Thunderstorms late last night dd nothing but make for wet and humid conditions. Like Jamie, I felt like Poo.

Anyone know where Dreamer has been? He's been MIA since 8/19.

Jamie, I found you a Halloween costume.

There has never been any research that shows we need eight 8 oz glasses of water a day. That was a "made up" number and for some reason has stuck.  Some people need more, most people need less, and other fluids and food do count.  Drink to thirst and clear to slightly yellow urine is best indicator of adequate hydration.  The number of times you go to the bathroom is NOT an indicator of adequate hydration, and that's why many older people don't drink enough, since they feel like the pee often which is due to bladder (men and women) and/or prostate (men) changes as we age.

QOTD:  I drink 16 oz of unsweetened tea a day plus a glass of milk and probably 4-5 glasses of water. When I run, I drink more.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Agree on the "drinking to thirst" argument. I was watching a comedian recently, and he brought up that for many 100,000 years, humans have been drinking to thirst and living just fine, and now we need a schedule for that. 

To continue with the liquids, I thought I'd treat myself this morning on my sleep-in day off (getting up at 6:30, instead of 3:25, yay!) and made some what I thought would be espresso (to make it into a pumpkin spice latte with pumpkin milk). "Espresso" percolated up just fine, I poured myself a cup and added the pumpkin milk, then took a sip and almost spit it out immediately. What had happened?

A few days ago, when I cleaned the espresso cooker, I purposely did not add the strainer insert, as it was still drying on the rack. Forgot to put it in this morning. I had made myself "Häferlkaffee" ("coffee in a cup"), as we call it in Austrian. Not a bad drink, just needs some rest time to let the grounds settle...

Sure had a wake-up effect on me, better than espresso. 

Jamie: Lack of (good) sleep? I hope you'll feel more energetic soon again!

dhuff: The one that runs tends to get the runs, whether horse or human. 

warden: Don't you just hate it when you have to schlepp along someone else's stuff? 45 lbs on TE seems a bit much, though. No wonder he refused.

AT: Same here, weather-wise. At least it's warm, that makes it easier to deal with - just get wet from the rain, not soaked under layers and rain gear.

QOTD: I sometimes drink water, often flavored and sparkling. There are phases when I like water, even just plain, and phases where I can't stand it and drink tea or diluted juice instead. Now that I'm biking in the morning, I drink only half my usual amount of coffee, and twice that amount of water instead. We currently get free water at work (it's a special treat during football season because work is much more strenuous then), so it's easy to just pick up a can/bottle and have it ready.

Run for fun.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

^ that’s what we call cowboy coffee; takes a little getting used to- just let your teeth strain that coffee Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I had a 45 lb pack on.     Tiny E refused to wear his pack 

warden: Don't you just hate it when you have to schlepp along someone else's stuff? 45 lbs on TE seems a bit much, though. No wonder he refused.

Punctuation, or lack thereof, can make a big difference in comprehension.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

AT-runner

Tim

Punctuation, or lack thereof, can make a big difference in comprehension.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

dhuffman63

Trails

ROFLMAO...too funny.

For those of you doing 100k or longer where might a person find a pacer?  I'm thinking of the 100k at the Temptation 200 next year.  It's in MI on Sept 5th and has a 40 hour cut off.  My concern is the night time portion as I have night blindness and even with headlamps and flashlight I sometime have trouble finding trail markings.  The other issue is finding someone willing to walk it with me.

LB2

Another short loop this morning. I am physically. I need to take a day off from work, not running. Our weekends have been jam packed with crap. I have to have a break soon. I am getting a little snappy.

QOTD: About the only thing I drink is water. I try to drink a half gallon to a gallon per day. I am probably closer to a half gallon than a gallon right now.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I know everyone thinks 45 lbs is a lot of weight on a 13 lb dog, but I’m trying to toughen him up; no way I’d be lugging a 45 lb pack up and down in the mountains 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

I plan to run after work today.

I don't think I'm going to "touch" that horse stuff. 

qotd: I do pretty well with drinking water. A few classes a day.  But more if you count the water that also has coffee in it.

This may help....

tbd.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

XtremeTaper

7 miles today so far. I ran 6 tempo like miles up at the local trail, still unable to break 50 on that loop after doing it regularly this spring. I was on track but started battling a side stitch in the 3rd loop and just could not shake it. Decent run though. I will take it. Got home and did a 1 mile run with Baker around the block as a cool down and well, that dog needs the exercise. Probably just dog walk tonight but perhaps a mile or so of dog running.

QOTD: Um. Yeah. The body needs it I think but it's not my specialty. I don't really measure the water I drink on a daily basis, however I almost always have a cup of ice water next to me while at home, and if I go out for a run I have water in the car for when I am done running. In other words, I always have some water handy and am a constant sipper.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

My favorite day of the week is RUNday