Trailer Trash

Jittery Fridalies (Read 19 times)

dhuffman63

Trails

Got the pre-race jitters.  It's only 50k and all I want to do is finish but I'm as anxious as I was before my first Half...lol.

Tonight

Showers and possibly a thunderstorm before 2am, then rain likely after 2am. Low around 37. Breezy, with a north wind 10 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Saturday

Rain likely, mainly before 8am. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 45. Breezy, with a north wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Need the wind to die down but I have my pole ready in the drop bag, have my CBD ready so I should live to tell the tale.

Have a lovely weekend and Gatsby good luck at the Red Dragon 55k.

NorthernHarrier

Back up north to do the maple syrup thing. Looks to be favorable conditions for the next few days. Sometime today I'll sneak away and try to do 14 or so miles at an up tempo pace on my hilly road.

Queen-I'm still employed!  Not only that but I received my review and I graded out as far exceeding expectations, a real shining star and I play well with others.  They really have no clue. Oh yeah, I got a 35 cent an hour raise. Woo-hoo!  I mean that's like an extra $2.80 per day. I'm pretty much overwhelmed. 

Dhuff-I think you got this. Good luck!

I haven't been following much the last couple weeks so Gatsby or anyone else Good luck to you too.

Sandy-2

Will run after work again today.

dhuff - I went to the NOAA website for the race location and it looks like it will start clearing Saturday morning for you.  I looked at the course map, LOL I guess no one should get lost!!!  15 miles due south, then turn around, and 15 miles due north back to the S/F.  The north wind will be there, but it will help you the first half of the run and then it'll be a headwind for the second half.  But for the second half each step will bring you closer to the finish and you'll be headed for the barn and won't care by then.  You'll do great and have fun!!!! We're all rooting for you.

tbd.

LB2

Terrible run this morning. It ended up being mostly a walk/jog loop. Stomach was a mess; legs were a mess; I don't know what the deal was. I was also freezing cold. Maybe I am getting sick.

QOTD: What advice do you have for people with pre-race jitters?

Embrace the nervous energy. That is easier said than done, but you have to try to calm down and relax. Tell yourself it is just a fun run in the woods.

LB2

Bert-o

I lost my rama

dhuffman - Good luck this weekend!  As others have said, just get it done and I know you can!

Gatsby - Good luck to you as well!

NH - How much syrup do you yield per tree?  or per gallon of raw maple?  We have maples on our land but DW doesn't want to tap them.  I may convince her otherwise if I can get something that she will like.

Sandy - Nerd 

LB - Hope those issues go away soon, but it does sound like you're coming down with something.  Ugh.

Sue

AT - Please don't tell me life is like a box of chocolates... just please don't.

Dr J - Sorry to hear about the no running.  Hope can keep from itching that running scratch.  Hang in there!

Daydreamer - With all that OT, I think you can fund a Montour, right?  Glad to see you and DW are getting out and about.

Nothing special here.  Going out for a hilly 8 after work.  Gotta get ready for Big Sur.

QOTD - Just stand next to the cutest girl / guy.  Ride those nerves!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Sandy-2

Sandy - Nerd 

Yup and proud of it!!!!   What can I tell you?, I'm an Engineer and I sailed a lot as a kid.  The NOAA WX site is da bomb!!!

qotd: Just channel that pre-race nervous energy and when the gun goes off......   run from the line full out just as fast as you possibly can !!!! 

tbd.

NorthernHarrier

Bert-o--Practice running on highly cambered roads. At least that's how I remember my marathon there.

As far as the syrup thing--by all means tap those trees. Won't hurt them a bit as long as they are big enough. 7/16th auger bit and gently tap in the tap with a rubber mallet only drilling in far enough to get it dripping, usually 3-4 inches. As a rule of thumb you get 1qt of syrup per tap over the course of the 3-4 weeks of the run. In theory it's 40 gallons of sap for 1 gallon of syrup, though that can very from year to year and tree to tree. Some trees will produce over 5 gallons of sap in a day if conditions are real good. I have some trees that consistently over achieve and then I have some others that tend to bring the overall average back in line. Earlier sap is better and once the trees show buds you are done despite the sap still running.

As a backyard sugarer it is very labor intensive for what I get. I would hate to figure out my hours for what I end up with not to mention all the wood I burn and my up front costs. Wouldn't dream of selling any but we gift it out to special friends. Just something about being out there in the early spring and natures bounty. For the most part I hang galvanized buckets and sitting there listening to the dripping of all the trees into the empty buckets is musical.

Couple of suggestions--unless you're real good at tree recognition it's a good idea to tie surveyor ribbon around the tree in the fall that you want to tap before the leaves drop. Also figure out your boiling system for doing most of the boiling outside and just the final finishing inside on the stove. You'll have the tape on the drywall peeling off putting that much moisture into the house.  We use canning jars and it is syrup at roughly 219 degrees.

If you really want to do it I'd be real happy to help you thru your first set up.  runtrail also has experience doing it and I'm sure she has alot of suggestions too.

LB2

LB - Hope those issues go away soon, but it does sound like you're coming down with something.  Ugh.

Feeling much better now. I bought some new shoes on closeout. I apparently got the last pair of the Columbia/Montrail FKT's. I can't believe I got that shoe for less than $36. My size always sells out.

LB2

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Awesome run this morning!!!  We were flying ...but it appears my watch isn't working because it said I had an average pace of 11:57 ..guess I'm running like AT.XT   well at least it's good company.  We did hit the top just as the sun poke up, so I reached that goal.    Still a fun run.

QOTD:  Have a couple of drinks, unless you are Bert-O

duffman:  Calm down...  deep breathing..focus on now...Oprah and Deepak have a free 21 day mediation experience you may want to try.   Have a great run tomorrow.

NH:  Sorry to here you were not fire.    You really do have them fooled!

lot's of winks today...guess my smart assy is coming out!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I did me some stair machine last night.  I am so out of shape.  My breathing was heavy, my heart rate up.  And it was only 12 minutes.    Patience...

dhuff - you got it, no worries.

QOTD: Not sure, still trying to figure that out.

Have a great weekend!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

runtraildc

Nothing yet today. Feeling sluggish and apathetic. Though I promised to take DS to my gym later, so I will do something, but probably more weight training and only a short stint on the treadmill.

If you really want to do it I'd be real happy to help you thru your first set up.  runtrail also has experience doing it and I'm sure she has alot of suggestions too.

Take Harriers advice over mine. My experience is limited to helping my sister at her NH home. She uses a propane stove outside, with inside finishing. It's definitely something you do because you enjoy the process. I end up going to the syrup producer near her and buying a 5 gallon keg.  My sister rarely makes enough to give any away (even to her sister-helper!).

DHuff and Gatsby-- good luck!

AT-runner

Tim

Awesome run this morning!!!  We were flying ...but it appears my watch isn't working because it said I had an average pace of 11:57 ..guess I'm running like AT.   well at least it's good company.  We did hit the top just as the sun poke up, so I reached that goal.    Still a fun run. 

lot's of winks today...guess my smart assy is coming out!

Picking on me, and to think I was going to say something nice about you.  Actually, I think my knees would hurt if I tried to to run that pace. I could run/walk that pace, but for some reason if I run too easy, my knees bother me (I walk 14 min per mile) .  I averaged 9:50 on my trail 16 miler today, thank you very much.   It was a flat non technical trail.

Our 20 miler end d up being 16. Got pretty humid and about 5 miles in I realized I didn’t restock my hydration vest after washing it the other day.   Ran back toward Jess, and she didn’t have anything either. Was feeling a bit low after 14 miles, so we were ready to cut it short.  On the way back, saw lots of people out hiking and bird watching and competitive mode kicked in and finished strong.

Heading back to reality tomorrow morning.

Gatsby and dhuff, good luck tomorrow.

QOTD: Not usually a jittery person, but a few deep breaths and remember to enjoy yourself and look around.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Sluggish 5.6 miles.  Beginning to taper for Whiskey Basin and starting to track the weather forecast.

NH - Can you tap any maple or does it have to be a sugar maple?

DH - I usually only get pre-race jitters if I'm going for a specific time or PB.  If I take the attitude that the final time and place are irrelevant and take whatever develops on race day, I enjoy the race more and often have better results as well.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Oh sorry AT...I was actually picking on XT 

Picking on me, and to think I was going to say something nice about you.  Actually, I think my knees would hurt if I tried to to run that pace. I could run/walk that pace, but for some reason if I run too easy, my knees bother me (I walk 14 min per mile) .  I averaged 9:50 on my trail 16 miler today, thank you very much.   It was a flat non technical trail.

Our 20 miler end d up being 16. Got pretty humid and about 5 miles in I realized I didn’t restock my hydration vest after washing it the other day.   Ran back toward Jess, and she didn’t have anything either. Was feeling a bit low after 14 miles, so we were ready to cut it short.  On the way back, saw lots of people out hiking and bird watching and competitive mode kicked in and finished strong.

Heading back to reality tomorrow morning.

Gatsby and dhuff, good luck tomorrow.

QOTD: Not usually a jittery person, but a few deep breaths and remember to enjoy yourself and look around.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

Oh sorry AT...I was actually picking on XT 

I still love ya, Sue. 

XT’s faster than me. His knee will be healthy again, I know it.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway!