Trailer Trash

Finally Fridaily! (Read 35 times)

Occasional Runner

Good morning Trailers!

I went for an easy 5 miler on the trails. I walked the hills so I could keep my legs fresh for my race tomorrow. It was a nice morning to be going easy in the mountains.

QOTD: Have you, or would you use a running coach if it would improve your performance?

I was interested in hiring a coach early on. My pacer at my first 100 is a running coach that works with a lot of fast trail runners, so asked his opinion when we were late into my race. He advised against it, so I never really gave it much thought after that. Sometimes I regret that decision.

Gator eye

Rest day.

QOTD: At one time I thought about it, but the price scared me off. Besides, I'm not built for speed, at least not speed that wins a race. I'm thick and stocky, I can pound out miles all day long on these thick tree trunk legs but they are only going to roll over so fast. Once I came to the understanding that I will never be out front in a race my attitude moved towards having fun and enjoying the day. That is when running became fun.

LB2

Five miles yesterday through the woods. I was going to run 10 on the roads, but on my way to the start, I just didn't have the stomach for it ("it" being the road). I decided to run 7 on the trails around the house, but then I became more interested in staking up my tomato plants. I ended up running 5, two of which were with my youngest who ran through the woods in Crocs (her second best pair of running shoes). My 8 year old ran one mile with us, and she did fine, walking a little bit. That youngest one, though, ran quick, smooth, and effortlessly. She told her mom, "I just kept telling myself, 'I can keep up; I can keep up'". I let her take the lead on the second loop through that section, and she just floated across roots, logs, uphill, downhill, etc. She pointed out places to be on the lookout for rattlesnakes for her sister. She'll be 7 next week. I'll run 5 or so tonight by myself.

QOTD: I have thought about this from time to time. I might would do that if I had more time to devote to running. I run a lot (but not enough), and running is a big part of my life. My main purpose for running is the sheer enjoyment of the outdoors; I don't need a coach for that.

LB2

I am headed off to a mountain dulcimer festival for the weekend and didn't choose to run in the torrential rain that was falling here this morning.  I may get out for a run this evening.  I'll be in a strange town so it may not be a trail run.  Marley will be stuck home with DW.

QOTD: Not at this point in my life.  My running goals are not really that performance oriented these days and are more about getting out in the woods.  I suspect that I could have been a much better athlete in my younger years with good coaching.  My training when I was more serious must not have been very good because I am pretty sure I could PR in the 5k tomorrow despite being in my 60's and only running as much or as hard as I feel like on any given day.  I know that I did a turkey trot with my daughter last fall and was not far off of a PR despite hanging back with her part way when she wasn't feeling well and I still had gas in the tank at the end.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

We're supposed to get heavy rain today and I'm due for a rest day anyway.

QOTD: Yes, I used a coach to prepare for my first ultra last September. Moving up from middle distance I had no idea what I was doing and didn't feel confident in relying on what I could get from books and the Internet. While expensive I thought it was well worth the money. He helped me through tough patches in training when I was really discouraged and from what I could tell, really did personalize the training based on my background and how I was responding to the workouts. I was overjoyed with the final results at my goal race.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Daydreamer1

Haven't put in many miles this week. I did get in a nice bike ride though. Pouring rain here right now and I'm getting ready for vacation. We will be leaving this afternoon. Heading to Texas, then on to the Grand Canyon, (Rim to River to Rim run planned). After that It's up to Idaho then back home. It will be a three week trip. It's been a long time since we've done one of these long road trips.

QOTD: If I had the time and money I would consider it. The time is the biggest factor. I don't think I would get much benefit out of coaching with my lack of ability to have a regular schedule. If I had a halfway regular schedule I could design my own workout program but it would be nice to have someone to help me with finding the right mix of nutrition during long runs and races. That's where I need the most help.

DigDug2

Easy 5.5 on the roads this morning.  10k trail race tomorrow - looking forward to it.

QOTD:  interesting question, I've been thinking about this lately.  I think I could benefit from some coaching - advice on running form, training plans, workouts, technical trail running skills, etc.  How would you go about finding one, particularly one with some trail expertise?  If anyone has used a coach, any thoughts on the merits between in person vs. online/distance coaching?

jonferg67

Endless trails

Morning everyone,

I did 5 road miles this morning, felt kinda clunky if that makes any sense. The mornings are

starting to heat up a little, its a welcome change.

Lace: I thought you had a coaching gig, or was that a thing of the past?

QOTD: I've considered it, and even looked into it-kinda spendy. I'd like to work with a coach on things

like which exercises to do to help minimize injury/fatigue. Nutrition; before, during and post workout.

All things related to recovery. The actual running part I could use a few tips for hill work.

Occasional Runner

Lace: I thought you had a coaching gig, or was that a thing of the past?

Yeah, I do some coaching but I'm pretty picky about clients and I don't like to have more than 2 or 3 at a time. It's not a very fun job.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I am popping in to say that my legs hurt worse now than they typically do after a race.  My PT kicked my ass the other day.  Lunges are a bitch. She also said I might be able to start a run/walk program in a month or so.  Wooooooo!

QOTD: No, I'm going to be slow regardless of the speed of my slowness.  And I don't want to spend money on a coach.

I spied a NorthernHarrier in yesterday's dailies!  Stop lurking...you know you missed this place!

Running is dumb.

morning!

I'm resting today, which is timed well with the downpours we're getting right now.

So excited to run Dirty German 25k this weekend! Who will I see out there?? Muppy, wcrunner, jbyram2, anyone else? I've got the IPA's!

QOTD: I hadn't considered a coach until I recently set my goal of BQ'ing. If I don't see my marathon time drop significantly on my own over the next year, I might hire one.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning, While the pain in my lungs is slowly getting a little bit better, I feel worse overall. Nauseous and sweaty amd weak. I'm not sure what is going on, I have been off pain and cough medication for 1 1/2 days now, so it can't be from the codein. I might see my doc today. QOTD: no, I feel competent in doing my own program (which does not exist as such anyway). I think I might have performed really well when I was young under the advice and coaching of a personal coach, but never thought about racing then, so I did not know about my potential. The coaches in middle and high school were really crappy, and I have made the experience that not many health professionals even nowadays understand how my body works (often not as they expect, but I could have told them that beforehand), so I feel better leaving health and fitness up to myself. I don't focus on performance much any more these days, just on having fun and enjoying the experience.

Run for fun.

moonlightrunner

Planning a couple hours at the state park tonight. I have an evening g off from grandma duties and I intend on taking full advantage.

Qotd: I am too slow and too old to be competitive.. and I m OK with that. I am grateful for every day I'm able to run at any pace or distance.

Couch: sounds like you need to see a doc!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I had a nice 5.7 this morning with Earl in the woods.

QOTD:  Sure if I had throw away money but I don't.  Of course my coach would probably tell me to lose 10 pounds and lift weights...so I could just do that and probab;y be faster. Kelly since you appear to have extra money and are seriouly incolved in racing and winnning; I think you should try it.

LB2:  I ran next to a guy in a marathon who ran it in crocs.  Love the little ones mantra.

Daydreamer:  Looking forward to hearing about your adventure.

Mandy:  Yea....

Northern:  Yes it was nice to hear from you.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

took the day off today and got in a nice 5 miler w/ DD, still slow and the heel still hurts, but slowly but surely I think I'm healing

qotd: it would be fun, but have more pressing uses for my $ Smile like......... pic of my new bike on the way to work

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √