Trailer Trash

recommendations for gps watch (Read 55 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

something dependable (rugged), easy to use (I suck at using small complicated electronics Big grin), can be used as a chrono and watch- don't need heart monitor stuff

reasonably priced would be a plus

danke

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I have a Garmin Forerunner 110.  It's the base model...no frills.  You can get it w or w/o the heart rate monitor.  I have no complaints.  After a year my computer (and all other computers) stopped picking up that something was connected.  Exchanged it for a new one at REI no questions asked.

**Ask me about streaking**

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I have no experience with a GPS watch so I know little.  BUT I have been eyeing this one http://www.eastbay.com/product/model:200719/sku:SG100020/soleus-gps-fit-1.0-mens/black/yellow/?cm=GLOBAL%20SEARCH:%20KEYWORD%20SEARCH

Looks like a simple one and only $99 as compare to other more expensive ones.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Holden McGruyen

I have the new balance watch: http://www.runnersworld.com/electronics/budget-battle-99-gps-watches?page=single

It's relatively simple compared to the Garmin watch that I had before this one, although the functions aren't completely intuitive. For example, after you have logged a certain number of runs you'll have to delete the data before you can use it again. To delete the data you have to find the right "page" on the watch but it's a little hidden and it takes me a while to find it every single time. I only need to delete the data every 20 files are so, so I don't have to do it very often. My main gripe with the watch is that it takes a really long time to find a satellite. You pretty much have to be outside in order to grab a satellite, and then it takes a few minutes. That means that if I'm about to run from the house I have to walk around for several minutes outside before the watch is ready to go. The fit is comfortable and the watch is relatively lightweight.

Edit: the new balance watch does not have any affiliated Internet website where you can download your data and look at maps such as with Garmin devices.

I'm Holden McGruyen. Would you like to join me?

Occasional Runner

Garmin 910xt is the best watch on the market in my opinion. This comes from a guy that almost never uses GPS, but when I do, it needs to outlast me during a run. The only watch that can do that is the 910.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Garmin 910xt is the best watch on the market in my opinion. This comes from a guy that almost never uses GPS, but when I do, it needs to outlast me during a run. The only watch that can do that is the 910.

If only Garmin could make that model with a 30+ hour battery life Big grin

Running is dumb.

AT-runner

Tim

+1on the 910.  Can use it for swimming as well.

Lace - Good luck at Comrades.  Is this a downhill year?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Watoni

I am using the Fenix. It has good battery life (so far), and you can customize it to last a long ultra if you reduce the sampling.

It does all sorts of neat stuff, although it is more designed for hiking, I think. It gives me mile splits, pace, elevation, gain/loss, temperature, etc. The nicest feature is the trackback when you get lost. It plots you a route back to where you started, and that has been reliable on trails thus far.

dpc3

DW and I share the Garmin 110 and it fits the no frills description you mentioned.

- Battery life is about 8 hours

- I have noticed it doesn't accurately calculate gain / loss

- The connection is funky but nothing to be discouraged about

We like it for tracking our miles and time and it seems to fit what you are looking for. My 2 cents

Sandy-2

If only Garmin could make that model with a 30+ hour battery life Big grin

+ 1

tbd.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

thanks for the input folks Smile

I've looked at the expensive Ambit and Fenix, they look like they do a lot of stuff that would be handy for hiking, in addition to running- spitting a UTM coordinate being the biggy, just have some trouble w/ the $ they're asking for those

the 110 looks like a viable option- appears to be simple and easy to use, my runs seldom exceed 8 hours so I don't think that's a huge issue

whatever I decide on- it's going to purchased at REI- I know electronics can be prone to glitches, an iron clad warranty is a huge selling point

quick question- I see REI has the 210 w/ a $50 rebate which would make it less than the 110- is that the way to go or is the 110 more reliable and easier to use?  never mind- looks like you have to turn in an old forerunner to get the rebate

thanks

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Occasional Runner

+1on the 910.  Can use it for swimming as well.

Lace - Good luck at Comrades.  Is this a downhill year?

It's an uphill year. But it flattens out a bit after 30 miles or so.

I would not recommend Garmin 405's. The touch bezel does crazy things to you at the worst possible times, (it acts as if it is in defib) even in the bezel lock mode. I have lost several training runs with it. It looks cool, price was reasonable, too many features for me, but a great Christmas present. The battery life says 8 hours in traing mode, 5 is the most I have gotten. Doesn't work well in humidity as I found out the other day. It picks up sats quick and easy to download information. It has helped me with pacing a great deal especially on longer runs, not a total loss.

Occasional Runner

I would not recommend Garmin 405's. The touch bezel does crazy things to you at the worst possible times, (it acts as if it is in defib) even in the bezel lock mode. I have lost several training runs with it. It looks cool, price was reasonable, too many features for me, but a great Christmas present. The battery life says 8 hours in traing mode, 5 is the most I have gotten. Doesn't work well in humidity as I found out the other day. It picks up sats quick and easy to download information. It has helped me with pacing a great deal especially on longer runs, not a total loss.

This sums up my experience with the 405 perfectly.

I have the Garmin 305, the one that is discontinued because it looks like a PC on your wrist. However, I have a lot of good things to say about it, regardless of the size. Always works, decent battery life, and works in the rain.

Based on some reviews, it looks like you should NOT get the 405 even though it looks nice. Lots of water/malfunction issues with that one.

I've heard the 110 is decent, esp. if you aren't looking for a HR monitor.