Trailer Trash

Stone Mill 50 (Read 68 times)

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Registered...I decided it was best not to think about it.

**Ask me about streaking**

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I though peer pressure only existed in high school...guess not.  Big grin

Registered...I decided it was best not to think about it.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

It lines up with my schedule, I'm confident I have/will have the ability, I have a friends to stay at .................and everyone else is doing it Big grin

**Ask me about streaking**

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I agree,Jamie. I also said "for a 50-miler" - considering the distance, it is not an easy race compared to many 50k's or marathons. It is a race on non-technical single-track, with some rolling hills that are neither steep nor long, but it's still uphills. Some smaller rocks and roots, most covered in leaves, so there is some potential to trip and fall. It starts when it is still dark, so you'll need a lamp for the first hour or so, and you should have done some night running during your training.

If it has been raining a lot, it can be very muddy, and during the morning hours, it's likely to be frozen ground and puddles. There is a 3-mile section on the C&O Canal Towpath (somewhere between miles 26 and 31, I think), which is absolutely flat and covered with fine gravel, some sand. This section can beat up your legs and feet, and if it's a hot and sunny day, it can be draining.

That said, it is a great course, very friendly and helpful volunteers, sometimes challenging your sense of direction and marker-finding skills (although you shoudn't really get lost), not boring or monotonous at all. Best value for the buck, for sure.

First all Couch says it's "easy"...you have to consider what kinds of trails she is used to running - very technical with lots of PA "hills".  Stone Mill is not hilly nor would it be considered technical compared to PA trails.  The times are slower as compared to JFK mainly because the course is 90%+ of single track.

This is the fourth year for the race.  It usually takes a race 3-4 years to become popular.  I think SM already has a following (one reason being the affordable price and convience of locality) so it's not clear when it might sell out but it certainly will.  But will it be in August or later? I wouldn't wait too long though.  The price it right and worst case scenario is you lose 35 bucks.  I think they cap @ 300 runners maybe?!?

Having said all that, I am registered!!

edit: mecrowe - my longest run going into SM two years ago was a 50k.  So you could be fine - but make sure you do a 50k ish type of distance in the fall in the weeks prior to SM.

Run for fun.

mecrowe

Computer Geek

I'm thinking of running the YUTC 50K in September as a supported long run before Stone Mill.  It's in Youngstown, OH on Sept 14 if anyone is interested.

Peer Pressure is really making me want to sign up for SM50   Big grin

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I'm thinking of running the YUTC 50K in September as a supported long run before Stone Mill.  It's in Youngstown, OH on Sept 14 if anyone is interested.

Doooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttt!  Big grin  50 miles is such a fun distance.

Running is dumb.

mecrowe

Computer Geek

Doooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttt!  Big grin  50 miles is such a fun distance.

You could come be the RunningAhead crew!   Big grin

Daydreamer1

Just follow Zilla's example. Quit thinking about it and do it!!!! Approve

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Oh dear, here we go again. We are such a bunch of enablers... Wink

Run for fun.

I registered on 8/1 WHILE I was moving into a new house. SO MANY EXCITING THINGS!

Now I just have to stick to my training plan. I ran a grand total of 10 miles last week. Yeah.

(If you can't tell, I've had a pretty busy/awesome week.)

skeene07

Dirty Girl

My husband signed me up the day it opened. I ended up missing it last year because of an ugly ITB and need to get there healthy this year!

http://staceyrunsandeats.blogspot.com/

4/13 Bull Run Run 50 miler- DONE!

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

My husband signed me up the day it opened. I ended up missing it last year because of an ugly ITB and need to get there healthy this year!

Such a good husband!

Just checking in....how is everyone doing with training? 

I feel like I've FINALLY hit my stride this week. As long as I can string together a series of good long runs over the next couple of months, I think I can finish this (my goal is just to finish...)  Any other updates?

mecrowe

Computer Geek

I thought about it too much and did not register in time.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I am really not training specifically for it.  But I will show up anyways.