Trailer Trash

Daily Fueling and Nutrition (Read 72 times)

Occasional Runner

We're all on different schedules, have different goals and different eating habits. We frequently discuss race fueling but rarely discuss our big picture, day to day nutrition. I have a few quirky "rules", and I'm sure some of you guys do to.

How do you eat and fuel yourself for your everyday life?

FOOD:

I'm a vegetarian, so there's always shit I can't eat.

I almost never eat breakfast and I never eat anything before my morning run. I sometimes blend up a fruit smoothie with Hammer protein powder if I think it's appropriate after a long run, otherwise, I don't do anything for food in the morning.

I snack on eggs, cheese, fruits and vegetables during the day. Just little bits of food here and there.

I only eat one real meal a day and it's usually pretty big. This is where most my calories come from. This meal is usually centered around vegetables, beans or rice. I eat pinto beans in almost every meal. I can't seem to get enough of them. I eat a lot of eggs and cheese too.

I won't eat anything of significance after 4:00 PM because I want my food to have ample time to settle and process before my morning run. This rule creates social issues but I really try to stick to it. Jo and I frequently eat our main meal between 2:00 and 3:00 PM.

SUPPLEMENTS:

I take 2 multi-vitamins. One is prescribed by Hammer Nutrition and the other is something I buy at the store. I use these to balance out issues I have from being a vegetarian and being anemic. I need additional iron in my diet or I start to feel crappy and have trouble running.

Hammer has me on a routine of Amino and antioxidants. They supply it and I take it daily.

WHat's your daily routine like?

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I have been a vegetarian since 2008.  No plans to ever go back to eating meat.

I try to eat healthy, but also admit to eating junk food.  I have a bad attachment to kettle chips, pizza, diet coke and beer.

I don't eat breakfast most days.  On work days, it's just coffee, a small lunch, then I get most of my calories at dinner.  I eat a lot of avocados, beans, hummus, greek yogurt and eggs.  I eat an apple every day.  I'll put spinach on anything and everything.  I love all vegetables and leafy greens.  Is it asparagus season yet?!  I can't wait for summer fruits either...mmmm, cantaloupe.  I probably eat too much cheese.  I probably eat too much bread/grains/pasta.  I like chocolate too much, but try to eat mostly dark chocolate and only a few squares at a time.

I live alone and I've gotten in a bad habit of not cooking that much because I'm lazy.  I need to change that.

I didn't used to take supplements, but after some scary blood test results now I'm on iron, B12, and vitamin D.

Running is dumb.

Vegetarian also, although for only a year. Last June I decided to give this 'cleanse' a try called Ultimate Reset (by Beachbody). The meal plan ended up being Vegetarian/Vegan and I have stuck with it ever since. It is amazing how much better I feel. I don't doubt that I would have felt great on a clean meat eating diet but it is so much easier (IMO) to eat healthier when you cut out meat. There is too much fast foot centered around it. I try to avoid dairy but pizza is my downfall. Dairy makes me feel like crap but I'm a sucker for punishment.

Anyway, I always eat breakfast which is usually fruit and a protein shake after my morning run.

I try to eat a big salad everyday for lunch with beans or nuts for protien.

Dinner varies. I don't get home until after 6pm so it is really late to be eating. Usually it two veggies and a starch. Also tyr to throw some tempeh or tofu in there once or twice a week.

Anyway, that is the ideal day for food but I can't control my urges. I need to watch my portions and drink more water or something.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I'll play...

I start the day off with a coffee (black) or a Monster energy drink.  For the past month I have mostly cut out the energy drink...only for big days.  There is a fruit vendor that sets up outside of my building at work...$2 worth of fruit (2 bananas, green apple, and an orange is about standard but I do vary depending on what looks good).

Lunch is about 50% lamb gyros and 50% 2 slices of pizza.  Not great health wise, but delicious and inexpensive.

After work I usually snack on a hard-boiled egg, almonds, and/or leftovers.  My run is usually after work, so nothing too heavy.

Me and my GF share dinner cooking responsibilities and this is usually a reasonably healthy meal.  Some kind of protein (chicken, steak, pork chops, sometimes ground beef.  Thats usually with pasta (wheat) and an arugula or spinach salad (O and V type, homemade dressing), or a vegetable side (usually sweet potatoes of various kinds) and salad.  We have recently switched to getting our foods from Wholefoods.  All meat and eggs are of the free range, grass fed, etc. variety.  We also buy quality dairy products.

I drink water or fruit juices or coffee and a daily beer

Homemade cookies for desert.

All in all, I don't think I'm the healthiest eater around, but 1. I don't eat much processed food 2. I eat fresh fruits and veggies 3. I try to eat "better" meats.

This was a good exercise...I could certainly make improvements.  Now we just need to get some 'average Americans' to post their eating habits so I don't feel bad comparing myself to all you vegetarians Smile

**Ask me about streaking**

Watoni

I  love good food, and I love to cook. I do not eat junk food but indulge in red wine (for its antioxidant qualities ;0 ).

Seriously, a good meal for me is:

Tuna with homemade preserved lemon, tomato sauce, olives and capers

grilled asparagus

roasted broccoli with olive oil and garlic

maybe a starch if a big workout is coming

Trying for more veggies, less meat, more brown rice (need to refine my own sriracha). I try to eat breakfast, I do either eggs with some vegetables or Strauss European style yogurt with fruit/granola or muesli.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Jamzilla - you can compare yourself to me.  Definately not a vegetarian.  I am on a See Food diet.  I really don't discriminate against too many foods.  I have no issues with weight gain (unfortunately).  I do eat a fair amount of junk.  I definitely eat breakfast - a yogurt before I run and then a bagel and cereal after.  I don't do coffee or caffeine.  I take a multi vitamin daily and sometimes extra vitamin C.  During the day I snack all day long.  I am not exxagerating either.  I pack a good size lunch for work and then eat throughout the day.  (2) sandwiches at lunchtime and lots of snacks throughout the afternoon.  Come home and eat dinner (1-2 servings and sometimes finish my kids plates).  Most night I have a bowl of ice cream before bed (9ish).  I have never counted my calories but I would say I fair on the high side.

I know, I know.  Gross and not healthy.  But like I said I do not discriminate foods.  I eat fruit, veggies, junk, chocolate, etc.

The whole vegetarian thing does not appaul me but with kids, it's almost impossible to switch to this type of eating once they have had "other" kinds of foods.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Sandy-2

I usually run in the morning and don't eat beforehand.  After running I'll have a 0 fat Greek yogurt.  Mid-morning I'll eat a granola bar of some sort.  Mornings also involve lots of decaf coffee.   Lunch is usually a sandwich (ham, PB&J, etc.) with an apple and dinner is typical stuff like chicken, fish, turkey, beef, etc.  We have cut way back on the serving size of the meats though, DW and I can get by sharing one large chicken breast.  We also have lots of salad and vegetables.  We have also cut way back on breads and dairy.  I also take a multi vitamin.

Now...  when I'm travelling it gets tough.

tbd.

Chnaiur

Fun thread!

I'm not a vegetarian, but have been trending toward more veggies and fruits over several years. My digestive system feels so much better without red meat clogging it! I lift 2x per week, and I'm really trying to get enough protein to repair all muscles.

7am Breakfast: Fresh berries and cornflakes, 1 scoop whey, 2 double espressos. Multivitamin + Omega 3.

11am Lunch: Chicken or tofu salad. Garbanzo beans, olives, etc.

2pm Snack: Fruit salad. Mango is just in season - so good! I often split this snack in two to last the entire day.

6pm Dinner: Whatever I make for the kids, but with pasta switched for salad & avocado.

10pm Snack: Warm milk with whey makes me sleep real well!

I usually work out in the afternoon, and if I don't feel fully fueled for that I will have a protein bar just before.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

This is a good topic!

I always eat breakfast and drink 1-2 cups of coffee every morning. These are non-negotiables. I would rather give up dinner than miss breakfast.  Most days, it's  a very hearty bowl of oatmeal with banana and peanut butter mixed in. I never get tired of this.  On race/long run days, I eat a bagel with peanut butter instead.

For lunch, I usually have a salad or a wrap of some sort, usually with grilled chicken.  Not too much variety there either.

I normally have a late afternoon granola bar as a snack to get me through my run or workout later.

I am very lucky because my boyfriend usually cooks dinner while I am running (I KNOW!) It's usually varied, but he tries to cook healthier for me. We tend to compromise in the middle of healthy/not so healthy. For example, this week we had kielbasa and collard greens one night, and then a thai-style chicken with jasmine rice the next. Most nights, I'll have a glass of red wine or a beer with dinner also.

I almost always have a square of dark chocolate after dinner as well.

Weekends are always a toss-up because we travel a lot, and are always on the go. This is when I tend to indulge in things like french fries, pizza, more alcohol, etc. Not always the healthiest, but I guess I'm usually burning off most of it on my runs anyway.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Ok...now I feel better

**Ask me about streaking**

Occasional Runner

I usually run in the morning and don't eat beforehand.  After running I'll have a 0 fat Greek yogurt.  Mid-morning I'll eat a granola bar of some sort.  Mornings also involve lots of decaf coffee.   Lunch is usually a sandwich (ham, PB&J, etc.) with an apple and dinner is typical stuff like chicken, fish, turkey, beef, etc.  We have cut way back on the serving size of the meats though, DW and I can get by sharing one large chicken breast.  We also have lots of salad and vegetables.  We have also cut way back on breads and dairy.  I also take a multi vitamin.

Now...  when I'm travelling it gets tough.

Sandy- How do you deal with eating when you travel?

I have a similar issue and I find it to be very challenging to maintain my dietary needs when I'm away from home. In Nebraska for instance, there are NO vegetarian options where I work. It's a BIG red meat state. I have similar issues is Canada, New Mexico and Arizona. Part of the problem is all my locations are remote and tiny towns don't cater to healthy diets.

Thankfully, I can find Subway almost everywhere and at least get a veggie sub.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Part-time vegetarian here, meaning I usually don't eat meat, but if someone else brings it up, and there's no other choices, I'll have some.

Otherwise, it's lots of grains, vegetables and fruit, and very little processed, packaged or restaurant food.

Lately, I have reduced my intake of whole grains, as it is too much fiber that's incompatible with my running. I have to stick mostly to white pasta, rice, and breads. I grew up on whole grains and have had them almost exclusively all throughout my life, and I love the "gritty" crunch - I hate that "melts in your mouth" feel of white pasta and breads. I miss my whole grains - and I appreciate the little bit that I can have every now and then very much.

I almost always have breakfast, although when I do an early morning run, I might have it after the workout. Usually oatmeal with raisins and walnuts, triple portion, with some green tea. Snacks are often a piece of fruit, or some bread or granola bar, with fake coffee (cafix) plus chai mixed in - it tastes better than it sounds.

Lunch varies, sometimes I'll have a sub on the go, or pasta with vegetables, a noodle soup, or a sandwich (PB&banana, cheese, veggie pattie,...).

Sometimes I have an afternoon snack, often fruit or veggies, no dip, just plain.

Dinner is usually rather small, often pasta, or just a roll with cheese, or some veggie stew or casserole. DH often has a piece of chicken or meat with it, or we share some fish.

Throughout the day, I usually drink tea or water, sometimes diluted juice, and I let thirst be my guide.

All in all, I think I have a fairly healthy, natural diet. I avoid certain ingredients, like HFCS, fructose, hydrogenated oils, certain preservatives, and most industrially prepared foods, and much of my food is all natural or organic, but not always.

I take glucosamine and fish oil supplements, but no vitamins (except vitamin B2 for chronic migraines).

I don't have "rules", and I am very flexible with my diet and my schedule, so social situations are never a problem for me.

Run for fun.

Sandy-2

lace_up, I hardly ever travel in the US, with me it's mostly Europe and Asia. Sometimes there are not many good choices there either. Mostly I tend to eat a larger breakfast, and when I get yogurt it usually isn't 0 fat. I try to go very lite at lunch. The toughest is diner we usually have a big crowd at nice places and lots of wine. It takes lots of willpower, and sometimes I'm even successful.

tbd.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Sandy- How do you deal with eating when you travel?

I have a similar issue and I find it to be very challenging to maintain my dietary needs when I'm away from home. In Nebraska for instance, there are NO vegetarian options where I work. It's a BIG red meat state. I have similar issues is Canada, New Mexico and Arizona. Part of the problem is all my locations are remote and tiny towns don't cater to healthy diets.

Thankfully, I can find Subway almost everywhere and at least get a veggie sub.

When I had to travel a lot, and often stayed in little towns, I gave up the idea of a meal for dinner. I usually went to a local supermarket and got fruits, maybe a ready-to-eat veggie, and some bagels or rolls, and had that instead of a complete meal. On international trips, I had some local "sandwiches" (which are e.g. rice balls in Japan) which were available in grocery stores. Having a fridge in your room makes it easier, then you can get milk, yoghurt or cheese, maybe some salad dressing, and a box of cereal, and keep a small stack for the daily "meal" in the evening, or for breakfast.

In some smaller towns there's Chinese or Greek restaurants with a take-out, where you can get steamed rice and vegetables. Subway is a great option, too.

Run for fun.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

lace_up, I hardly ever travel in the US, with me it's mostly Europe and Asia. Sometimes there are not many good choices there either. Mostly I tend to eat a larger breakfast, and when I get yogurt it usually isn't 0 fat. I try to go very lite at lunch. The toughest is diner we usually have a big crowd at nice places and lots of wine. It takes lots of willpower, and sometimes I'm even successful.

Good thing that restaurant food in Europe and Asia is usually a lot healthier than in the US. And local bakeries in Europe often open already at 5 or 6 in the morning for breakfast, you can get a tea or a coffee there, and a (healthy, not sweet) roll, or a sandwich.

Run for fun.