Trailer Trash

Sleepy Sundaily (Read 36 times)

Birdwell

Morning folks! Today's a SRD for me. I got in 20 miles yesterday (6 in the am, 14 in the afternoon) which brought my weekly total to 20!

QOTD: Do you cook? If so, what's you favorite thing to cook?

A few years ago I built a couple of BBQ smoker's and I have discovered the joys of making smoked BBQ pork. it's my favorite thing to cook for two reasons. 1st, it is so unbelievably easy to do. it takes 2 minutes of prep time, anit then it just sits in the smoker for 10-12 hours. 2nd, it takes so good. after making my own BBQ, I can't order it at resteraunts anymore. They charge way to much, and it's never as good.

jonferg67

Endless trails

I like your training plan, Birdwell; rest all week and run twice on Saturday.

I'll grab a few miles later, nothing too serious.

QOTD: Real men know how to cook! Yes, I cook. Favorite right now is rice and

stir fry; eggplant, tofu, asparagus, broccoli, spinach, ginger, etc.

Occasional Runner

Gonna head out in a bit for a few recovery miles. I'm thinking about heading back to the park where we raced yesterday and laying down 10 miles. I just don't know if I feel like driving out there. Regardless, a run of some kind will happen soon.

QOTD: Jo and I share cooking duties. Our favorite is probably vegetarian chili. It's almost never the same, but it's always really good.

The pooch and I had a nice 7 mile trail run. It as a beautiful morning to be out on the trails.

QOTD: Yes I love to cook and now that I am retired am more inclined to do so often.  I also bake, especially pies.  Favorite thing to cook?  Hard to say.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Morning! Did an easy 4 earlier. Still sunny, but yesterday's lovely weather disappeared overnight, leaving us with highs in the 20s today and a windchill of 10F. This is why I hate Midwest winters--no predictability at all!

QOTD: Yes, I cook. I like to cook all sorts of things, but one of my favorite winter recipes is fagioli all'uccelletto, a garlicky white bean stew. Just 5 ingredients (not counting salt and pepper), makes a hearty meal when paired with crusty bread and a bottle of red wine, and great if you have to bring a dish for potluck because it's vegan so just about anybody can eat it.

Recipe:

Soak about a pound (or 500g if you're Euro) of white beans overnight, cook in fresh water for an hour or so until tender. Drain, reserving some of the liquid. Put a hefty glug (1/4-1/2 cup) of olive oil in the now-empty pot, add 1-2 tablespoons of minced garlic and saute until fragrant and beginning to turn golden.  Put in a 16-oz/400g can of tomatoes (diced or whole--crushed is okay but makes it a bit too tomato saucy for my taste) and a couple of tablespoons of rubbed sage (flaked is okay if you can't get rubbed). Add some of the cooking liquid back in if it looks dry, and simmer until it's the consistency you like--some people like the beans to retain their shape, but I prefer them cooked down so that they're mostly mushy. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Sandy-2

Did 10 miles this morning.  Nice temps in the lower 40's, but very foggy.  Kept misting up the glasses.  Now I'm not sure what is going on with my ankle, it feels ok while running, but then aches afterward.  I'm gonna go see the doc soon, probably get the "take 2 weeks off..." speech.

qotd: I basically only grill stuff.  I need to get more active on the inside cooking stuff.

tbd.

Morning all,

Looks like today will be an USRD (unscheduled rest day) as I've managed to catch a chest cold Angry  Took Weds., Thurs. & Friday off to rest, but then ran a trail 17-miler yesterday.  Felt okay during the run, although my chest was burning during the climbs (fortunately they weren't too bad).  Of course when I finished the major coughing began, and today I'm still feeling somewhat under the weather.  With my big race coming up, I figure resting and healing up will be far better for me than trying to kick out a couple of miles.

qotd: not only do I cook, I do so for a living!  I too love cooking all sorts of things, but I especially love making long, slow braises this time of year (chilies, stews, etc.)  Today I'm going to make a roasted chile, corn and shrimp chowder with the lobster stock I have in my freezer.

majope -- one of my favorite go-to fast recipes is a "beans & greens" dish over pasta.  I'll sauté beans (typically cannellini), diced tomatoes, garlic, and some sort of green (typically kale or Swiss chard) together and serve over a chunky pasta.  Yum!

AT-runner

Tim

Good late morning.

Ran 9 very technical trail miles with an old running buddy today.  Was 40 degrees when we started at 9:00 and was 52 when we finished.  I was dressed for 40 degree weather.  Second run with my Ultimate direction SJ vest, and felt much more comfortable with it today.  The thing is so light and after a long sweaty run, it was almost totally dry.

AOTD: Love to cook when we have the time.  We have a nice large kitchen and host all of the family functions. Most of our non running related gifts to each other are cooking gadgets.  One of DW's favorite Christmas presents was a kitchen mandolin for slicing.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

under a rock

Most Sundays I lead a group trail run for one of our local trail clubs. Today we ran 8 nice hilly and rocky miles. We had 3 guys from the UK, that are over here for business this week, join us. I originally was planning the easy route but decided we needed to do the tough route since it's more scenic and didn't want the Brits to miss out on the good stuff.

QOTD: Yes I do cook. I didn't cook too well when I got married and wasn't too worried about that back then. Once I had my son I decided it was time to figure it out. Turns out I'm a pretty good cook, it took lots of fails to figure things out but I no longer allow recipes to intimidate me or hold me to their rules. My favorite thing to cook is lentil tacos. It's easy and I can mix up the flavoring on the fly and most of all my 5 yr old son scarfs them down faster than any other food I cook.

sugnim

SRD for me.  Since we still have some sunshine, I will try to get some hiking time in today--maybe a couple of hours.

QOTD:  I do all the cooking in the house.  Dinner last night was blackened salmon tacos with roasted veggies & black beans, and breakfast this morning was huevos rancheros omelets.  My favorite things that I make are chicken soup, bison chili, tamales, curry, and anything from our garden.  I'm not too big on baking here in MT, but when we lived in SF, I used to make our bread every Sunday--too dry & cold here to get the dough to rise correctly.

Scrapster

Hey, peeps.

URD for me.  Hips are acting up after yesterday's run.  Time to get back to yoga and pilates, I guess.

QOTD:  Yes, though my creations are hit or miss.

Weegee

Goof-off day for me today after yesterday's 34-mile fatass race over Capitol Peak.  Pretty proud that I didn't roll my ankle more than once in the snow, which was plentiful from mile 13-20, or the loose rocks in the bits of trail where the water had receded – especially since we were going in and out of blazing sunshine and the transition to the shade was jarring.  It was a five-volcano kind of day, with Baker, Glacier, Rainier, Adams, and St. Helens visible from the peak.

This course always has a guy out there pouring tequila at the 17-mile turnaround, so I had a shot at mile 8.5 and had planned to have another when headed back, but had given away the last of my food and was a bit worried about taking a shot on a growling empty stomach with 8.5 miles left in the race.  I managed to stay ahead of him and another couple of friends at the finish, but only barely, and EDRW very kindly put food in me, which was very much appreciated.

QOTD: I have people for that.  (In other words, I do dishes.)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

What a day, maybe I should have stayed in bed. But, the trails were calling my name, and I had my running buddy waiting.

After driving under a downed tree leaning against a power line to get to the trailhead, I met my running buddy, and we set out. Windy and icy, but wonderful trails. Buddy got dizzy, and after a while, he tripped, fell, and hit his head on a rock badly. We managed to make an "ice pack" by putting snow between his hood and his hat to keep the swelling down. The bruise looked pretty badass, though.

On the way down, the YakTrax once more proving to provide excellent traction on the ice-glazed trails, buddy suddenly had vision problems. He is pretty tough, so when he complains, it must be really bad. So when we had reached our cars, we called his wife to come pick him up. I am worried he might have suffered a concussion from the fall.

At home, I found out that giving my youngest chocolate milk in the morning, after his battle with a stomach bug yesterday (he managed to keep us busy for hours after throwing up from the top of the carpeted stairs...), had been a bad idea. You get the picture.

And the day is barely half over yet...

But, the morning run itself was very nice, at least for me. I enjoyed exploring some new trails which apparently have been built with the newest technology: switchbacks! Yep, in central PA, most of the trails still go straight up the mountain! That's why PA runners are usually very strong climbers, but have trouble on those long, long, gradual uphills.

QOTD: Yes, I love to cook and bake. Favorite thing is hard to pick - I love making all kinds of bread (corn bread, zucchini bread, French baguette, Austrian rye bread,...).

Run for fun.

Daydreamer1

SRD today. I was supposed to work from 3 this afternoon until 7 am tomorrow moring but they were short staff so I came in early. Just had enough time to go to church then into work for the next 18 hours. The bright side of this is that I'll be off now until Friday so I get 4 days of running!!

QOTD: When I have time I love to cook. I would really like to get a smoker and try that sometime.

Occasional Runner

I decided to go for a road run without a specific distance in mind. I had great turnover and the run felt great. I went out for much longer than I had planned. Its amazing that I feel good when I run and feel like hell when I walk.