Trailer Trash

Altra Copies Hoka? (Read 102 times)

Trail Monster

Yeah, I didn't say it was a fad, I said it would fall out of favor. It's a lot more about marketing than than anything else. Shoe companies make shoes that people want to buy, not necessarily shoes that work.

I ran 100 miles in Altras and had one blister (sock wrinkle) and I still have all toenails and they are all still pretty. There were two more athletes that I caught in Altras out there. Plus 2-3 of my friends who had foot problems during BR are now experimenting with Altra and have good feedback thus far. I would say Altra is just on their way up and expanding their line rather than getting ready to blow apart their image. Zero drop at any stack height is the same. Your Achilles is still stretched through a full range of motion rather than being shortened by a wedged heel. It still allows the mid foot or forefoot strike Altra is selling. The stack height simply means you are now taller and more unstable, which is exactly why I didn't like Hokas, but I don't know what the stack height is on the Olympus or if what you played with was a prototype or anything. I still don't see it as the end of their image regardless. They aren't a minimalist shoe company yet the Eve, Delilah, and the men's equivalents are all low or no cushion racing-flat type shoes. Plus they came out with the Altra JR's for the kids. I think Altra just isn't afraid to experiment and give the runners what they ask for.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

LB2

I have run in Hoka's, which gave me fits with my toes. They just didn't work for me because of that. I sure did like them, though. I wish they would have worked for me. I also have a pair of Altra's, not the ones mentioned here with the big cushion... The best thing about the Altra's is the toe box, to me. I may try the Olympus, or I may be able to get the Torin on close out or something. Anyway, I like cusioning with a low drop, so that may be a shoe that I would enjoy.

I also agree that Altra has never really put it out there that they were a minimalist shoe company; the zero drop/natural running has been their claim to fame. I think people associate the zero drop with the forefoot strike and categorize it in the same area as barefoot/minimalist running.

LB2

Messenjah

I just looked at the link that Banshee put up and I didn't even realize how much cushion was there until I looked really hard. The black midsole threw me off. Those would be really interesting to try. Since I saw the Altras the first time I really like the way they looked and the toe box really fit me well but I couldn't quite do the zero drop thing. I run in minimalist shoes, but going 0 was a little far for me.

On a side note, the NB shoes that are on that page are DISGUSTING!!!! Why is it that shoes any more have to look like the 80's ate a glow stick, went to a rave, drank some blueberry UV vodka, ate at Taco Bell and then threw up all over a pair of running shoes?

charlesmoman

I only run in Hokas - love them - they work for me.

I have the new Bondi B, Evo Stinson and WP Mafate.

I absolutely do not feel unstable in them because they are higher - but others may feel that way.

I now almost NEVER roll my ankle because the Hokas have such a wide platform that prevents me from doing it.

I have a pair of Brooks walking shoes that have thick soles that are nearly the same size as the Hokas.

They are perfect for my 62 year old feet and legs!

Messenjah

OK Charles. I have a question. I am seriously considering purchasing a pair of Hoka's for a 24 hour event that I am doing in a few months. It is 100% on pavement. Do you use any of the pairs for pure road running? If so, which ones would you recommend?

I only run in Hokas - love them - they work for me.

I have the new Bondi B, Evo Stinson and WP Mafate.

I absolutely do not feel unstable in them because they are higher - but others may feel that way.

I now almost NEVER roll my ankle because the Hokas have such a wide platform that prevents me from doing it.

I have a pair of Brooks walking shoes that have thick soles that are nearly the same size as the Hokas.

They are perfect for my 62 year old feet and legs!

Occasional Runner

On a side note, the NB shoes that are on that page are DISGUSTING!!!! Why is it that shoes any more have to look like the 80's ate a glow stick, went to a rave, drank some blueberry UV vodka, ate at Taco Bell and then threw up all over a pair of running shoes?

I was surprised by that too. Most of the new models are getting away from that but that particular shoe went nuts with the colors. That was the 110 I think. But if I liked the way they worked, I would still buy them.

Messenjah

Were the same kind of fit as the current 110? The ones that are out there right now seemed really narrow. I didn't care for them. I was an HUGE advocate of the 101's and had two pairs with over 1500 miles on each.

I was surprised by that too. Most of the new models are getting away from that but that particular shoe went nuts with the colors. That was the 110 I think. But if I liked the way they worked, I would still buy them.

Occasional Runner

Were the same kind of fit as the current 110? The ones that are out there right now seemed really narrow. I didn't care for them. I was an HUGE advocate of the 101's and had two pairs with over 1500 miles on each.

They fit the same, there's just a few minor alterations on the new model. I like a narrow fit and a lot of the NB line accommodates that. I wear the MT10 from the minimus line and I love the 1400 as an all around shoe. I've never owned the 110 but might buy a pair to see how they work out. I get a lot of miles on my NB shoes, although, the 1010 has a terrible reputation for falling apart.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

They fit the same, there's just a few minor alterations on the new model. I like a narrow fit and a lot of the NB line accommodates that. I wear the MT10 from the minimus line and I love the 1400 as an all around shoe. I've never owned the 110 but might buy a pair to see how they work out. I get a lot of miles on my NB shoes, although, the 1010 has a terrible reputation for falling apart.

I should be getting 2 pairs of the 1010 v2 in the mail today.  My plan is to put a lot of miles on a pair as fast as I can to see if the problem is fixed...I don't think I can trust them until they have seen 250 miles.

**Ask me about streaking**

Occasional Runner

I should be getting 2 pairs of the 1010 v2 in the mail today.  My plan is to put a lot of miles on a pair as fast as I can to see if the problem is fixed...I don't think I can trust them until they have seen 250 miles.

If you get to 250, you should be good. A buddy of mine ruined his in less than 30 miles. But I hear they've fixed it. Good luck!

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

If you get to 250, you should be good. A buddy of mine ruined his in less than 30 miles. But I hear they've fixed it. Good luck!

That was my experience also...the 2 pairs that are coming in are Comp'd replacements for some shoddy 1010s

**Ask me about streaking**

valerienv

Thread killer ..

What was the upper like on the Altra ?  The Lone Peaks I have,  have no structure at all and give no support . I don't know if that's true of all Altras or just that model . I would be very nervous going into a 32mm shoe without a supportive upper .

I love my Stinson Evo Trail model just bought my 3rd pair , they do have a 5mm drop . I have rolled my ankle once but it would have happened in any shoe,  I was not being careful . I actually sprained my ankles 3 times in Brooks Cascadias and fell down countless times from the poor traction .

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

What was the upper like on the Altra ?  The Lone Peaks I have,  have no structure at all and give no support . I don't know if that's true of all Altras or just that model . I would be very nervous going into a 32mm shoe without a supportive upper .

I love my Stinson Evo Trail model just bought my 3rd pair , they do have a 5mm drop . I have rolled my ankle once but it would have happened in any shoe,  I was not being careful . I actually sprained my ankles 3 times in Brooks Cascadias and fell down countless times from the poor traction .

Did someone say Cascadia's? My limited experience in Cascadia's is that they do roll easily.  I have no clue why.  I have maybe 150 miles on two pair and on technical trails, they rolled a lot.  Fortunately I never rolled them enough to hurt but one of these days...

I am not totally sure about the whole zero drop thing but it would seem that if the sole is bigger (i.e. Hoka and this new Altra prototype) than the zero drop becomes less of a factor - almost obsolete.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Occasional Runner

The upper was more substantial than what you see in the Lone Peaks. It was definitely thicker.

Occasional Runner

Did someone say Cascadia's? My limited experience in Cascadia's is that they do roll easily.  I have no clue why.  I have maybe 150 miles on two pair and on technical trails, they rolled a lot.  Fortunately I never rolled them enough to hurt but one of these days...

I am not totally sure about the whole zero drop thing but it would seem that if the sole is bigger (i.e. Hoka and this new Altra prototype) than the zero drop becomes less of a factor - almost obsolete.

I quit wearing the Cascadias because they rolled constantly, but I attributed it to the really stiff sole. It couldn't absorb anything on the trail.