Trailer Trash

Dry mouth and throat (Read 36 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Does that bother you?

I have never noticed it that much, but this year it seems unless it's really humid outside, my mouth and throat sometimes get really dry when I run. It gets to the point where I could swallow with every breath I take in order to avoid the dryness. I can't sip enough to avoid it (I would have to sip constantly), so that does not really help.

Any help?

Run for fun.

Occasional Runner

I've never really had the problem but I've heard of others that suffer from it. They suggest chewing some gum or sucking on some hard candy. Something sour works best.

DigDug2

I have similar issues - I always chew gum when I run to mitigate.

Yes, and it usually triggers my asthma. Very frustrating. The only solution I have is drinking more water during the day, which is what I'm aiming to do now. I don't really enjoy chewing gum while running, though I chew it all day long.

Ultra Cowboy

A Clif Shot blox in my cheek seem to get the saliva going.

Late in an Ultra I've heard Copenhagen works....Evil

WYBMADIITY

Save

RabbitChaser

I have the same issue. I haven't tried chewing gum at all. My dentist gave me some mouthwash that is supposed to help with that, I think it's called Biotene, but I haven't tried it yet. I'll be testing it out on my next run. I feel I drink too much water trying to combat it and need to find something that works. I might try the shot blox idea and see how it works as well.

Eric

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Chewing gum seems a bit cumbersome for such a hard breather as me (huffing and puffing along mostly). Perhaps just stick in into the cheek?

I've tried sucking on Jolly Ranchers, the sour ones, and it was desaster. Too sticky to chew, too big to suck on, too big to swallow whole, in the end I just spit it out and was happy it was gone. So that's not the solution for me.

Rabbit, I can relate to that "drinking too much" - I sometimes get a sloshing stomach from sipping constantly, which then translates into bear attacks later on. I have a gel for dry mouth, but it does not seem to really help, especially further down the throat. I might try the Biotene, I have heard it helps with dry mouth.

Run for fun.