Trailer Trash

Kettle Fun Hike Report (Read 18 times)

moonlightrunner

I had been planning to run this event for quite some time with a friend I met on Facebook two years ago. We are about the same age and run at very compatible paces. Pat loves to go to races and on big event bike rides and does so almost every weekend. She does not really like running, but enjoys the social part of it. She lives in an area of northern Illinois with a very strong running community.  I, on the other hand, do not really relish the social aspects of running groups and  I do love to run. Still, we have become very good friends. I had visited her home a few weeks prior to the race and ran the most technical part of the course (Highway 12 to Rice Lake and back again).  It is has many sections that are not runnable for me and my hiking poles were necessary for the climbs even under drier conditions.

Armed with a glimpse of the terrain, a bad knee, a new topical anti inflammatory, newly diagnosed anemia and advice from my running friends not to run the race....I decided to do so anyway. I never heard from my doc that they found anything in my echocardiogram, and I assumed no news is good news. I rarely run races, and I could always drop if it was too much. For two weeks prior to the race I wore a brace, did not run at all, got an injection in my knee and hoped for the best.

I drove to Pats house on Friday, and stopped at REI in Chicago. I contemplated different hiking poles and decided against them. I rarely use them, and I have a set of telescopic poles I hate but were likely to get me through ok.  I did buy some awesome chocolate there...dark chocolate and coffee! Yum.

Two of Pat's many friends drove up from the St Louis area to join us on the Fun Run and a day of aid station volunteering before our race. There has been a lot of rain in the area, and on the drive to the race site the sky opened up in a huge rain burst.  However, the Weather Gods smiled on us and it was all over by the time we arrived at the aid station. They would arrive at the station (36 and change) and go five miles to the next one and back again. It was a lot of fun volunteering. The weather changed from cool and cloudy, to hot and humid and back to cool several times. There were a few times of rain drops and thunder, but nothing that lasted long. We left the aid station about 4pm  to head to the start finish to get ready for our race. Just as we got into our car the sky opened up and it POURED down rain. Again the Weather God's smiled on us and the rain stopped. The showers were scattered and plagued some parts of the course, leaving others alone..

I took my poles in case I needed them on the section I had never run before and I took my knee brace in case I started having issues with it during the course of the run. Pat and I set out together with another of her friends. Shalanay and Erin (who had stayed at Pat's) are much faster and we never intended to run with them. The first section was ski hills and quite runnable, but Pat really did not want to run. She preferred hiking the hills and flats and running the downs. Therein lies the conundrum of running and event with a friend. I knew that we needed to stay together and tried to just enjoy being out there. I did do some running on the flats and it felt wonderful. I was disappointed we were not running more, but had I known what was ahead I should have just went with it and not wished for more at the time. It was a beautiful day, nice terrain and I was in good company.

It is at this point that I realized that my footwear choice was not going to bode well for the journey. The problem was a lack of any real tread on them. I have run in muddy conditions before with them and had no problems.,but this was different. The conditions were continuously muddy. Sometimes very deep mud, and the soil there contains a great deal of clay which makes it exceptionally difficult to deal with. I not only had to deal with no traction under my foot, I also was slipping on top of the sandal. I had not reached  the technical part of the course and traction was a big issue.  Pat can power hike the ass off of anyone, and the footing made it difficult for me to keep up at times. She and Joe never left me behind, and I was grateful for that . There was a LONG night ahead of us.

Our drop bags were at Highway 12. I don't know the mileage there. I did not keep track because I knew we were very far away from being done, and what difference would it make to know? I had a hand held with me, that I had to turn on before getting to my drop bag where my headlamp and waist light were. I hate headlamps, but I needed one because I would be using my poles. The aid station was great (as were the previous 3). Great volunteers and a good selection of food. I had someone pour some water on my feet in an attempt to  try and get some of mud of the sandal surface. I made a point of walking through every puddle and stream throughout.

I eliminated some items I though were unnecessary from my pack. Mosquitoes were not a problem at all, so I ditched the spray and a few other superfluous items. Armed with lights and poles we headed out to Rice Lake. The terrain quickly goes up, and the trail is strewn with rocks that look like sections of dinosaur vertebra. It is all hiking, up and down hills. Some deep mud, lots of slick muddy trails and rocks. At some point early on I caught my foot on a rock and face planted..  I quickly picked myself up and on we went. The struggle with the sandals was constant. I adjusted the sandals throughout. Frequently the mud was ankle deep, sticky and coated my feet, and the times when it did not coat my feet the sand would gather in my arch making an unwelcome and uncomfortable arch support. that I had to dig out every now and again.

There was a bit of rain from on the journey to Rice Lake, but nothing that really was an issue and eventually the sky cleared and there were visible stars  All the time as we hiked, those running the 100k, 50k and 100 mile were passing us at a run. It amazed me that they easily traversed the treacherous rocks and soul sucking mud with what appeared to be very little trouble. I had two slip and falls down slippery muddy slopes with no injury except to my pride. When we reached Rice Lake I finally figured out a sandal adjustment that helped. I strapped those suckers so tight they began to imbed into my skin. That really helped the journey back. The trip back to highway 12 was much better than the trip in thanks to the adjustment. The pain was minimal and I was able to maintain a better hiking pace. I think we had 15 miles to go after the return to Highway 12.. I have no idea what time it was when we arrived. By that juncture I was having trouble eating anything and was not interested in drinking, but managed to eat some soup. I noticed a nagging sore throat.  I was still peeing so I knew that I was somewhat hydrated and did force down some soup.

We set off for the next aid station which was about 4 or 5 miles away. Things were better, but I was still quite slow. Pat and Joe would get out ahead of me and wait so I could catch up. I encourage both to go on at their pace, but Pat would hear nothing of it. We were going to finish together.Shortly after leaving Hwy 12, a very beautiful fog set in. It softened the air and was almost a comfort. At some point the first birds began to sing. I was  totally alone, as Joe and Pat went on ahead for a bit. The songs were beautiful, and I was grateful for the coming light so I could remove my stupid headlight. The mist, the dawn and the light were all welcome. It kind of gives a new lease on life. I caught up with Pat and Joe and the aid station, ate a little bit and on we went. At this point Joe took off on his own and it was just Pat and I hiking along. The sun came up, the weather warmed and things felt a bit better. Our time on the trail was around 17 hours.

I am disappointed it did not go as well as expected, and really, I was not expecting it to go well anyway! But my knee held up well. I wore the brace from Highway 12, to Rice Lake, back to 12 and then to the finish. It really helped, I think. I did take Motrin, which of course, I am not supposed to do. But I only took it twice, and it is clearly a miracle drug. The difference was amazing. I love Motrin, and now, I shall dream of taking it for everything, but wont,  damn it.

We arrived at the finish and received a warm welcome from everyone and  our Fun Run bling, a keychain.By the end of it all, I was in intense pain EVERYWHERE covered in drying mud.  There was a catered breakfast, which I had no interest in eating. We watched some truly inspirational 100 milers come in. Erin, one of our friends, ended up pacing the guy who took second overall. Erin is signed up for his first hundred this fall, something tells me he will do fine. Pat is signed up for the Hennepin 100 and the Temptation 200 and lots of other races. She is amazing, so consistent and so brave to do all of these races. She smiles throughout them and is willing to take anything on. I am grateful to her for helping me to complete this. 38 miles is my longest hike ever.

Things I learned:

I love volunteering . The people are great and grateful. Dealing with their equipment gave me great insight into what equipment I don't want,  I am convinced there is currently no running vest out there that I like, and a lot of hydration bladders that are a giant pain in the ass. and Oh....the water bottles...why do they make some of the collapsible bottles with an opening the size of a pop bottle opening? People would want Ice in them and NOOOOO... not gonna happen...the hole was too small.

Hygiene: An aid station is no place for a germaphobe...and I am not one. However...someone actually took off their neck scarf and doused it in the cooler with ice...and swished it around....THE SAME ICE PEOPLE PUT IN THEIR BOTTLES FOR DRINKING! Yuck. I will admit to reaching for food with muddy hands, I tried to use wipes on them, but really, the mud was still there.

Footwear: My sandals work very well for my local trails and conditions. Clearly, if I am going to take on extreme mud and steep terrain, I need a shoe alternative. But I hate shoes...I am afraid I will trip on them. I have been looking at shoes...but then...I would have to train in them...and I hate shoes. I will have to research and see.

Running Friends: It is nice to have running friends, and I am grateful to have someone who does not make me feel as alone in my slowness.

Plans: start my physical therapy and try to strengthen my leg.

I am happy I accomplished a new distance, and that it was accomplished  under new conditions and on amazing terrain. I wish I could move to Wisconsin.

BONUS: That sore throat...turned into a full blown cold before I even left for Pat's house after the race.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Nice job moonlight runner...running into dawn is a pretty cool experience.  Sandals  just sound really painful to run in.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

38 miles is a long hike!  Sounds like you worked through some challenges and have some good take-aways.  Ick on the sweaty bandana in the ice cooler.  Now you know why I keep all aid station supplies out of sight and out of reach from the runners at States.  

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

AT-runner

Tim

Glad you had a good time on your fun run.  I'm with you, I like to be alone while running.  I think the people who need company have a harder time sticking with running since they are not self motivated.

Still don't know how you run in those sandals. I tried the minimalist shoes when they were all the rage and now love my big ugly cushion shoes.

Mud sucks.  No way around that in any shoe.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NorthernHarrier

Nice job getting 'er done. That's a long way in the dark and mud. On sandals no less. No blisters in those conditions?  That's a win. I'm with AT, I like my clunky cushioned trail runners especially as I have gotten older and more brittle.

I used to run the stretch to Rice lake often, always thought it was pretty and hwy 12 was a good spot to leave the car using it as an aid station when you came back and went north then on long training runs.

Not sure where all the mosquitoes are yet. I'm sure they'll show up with a vengeance soon. Also glad you like our state!

dhuffman63

Trails

Fantastic RR and you did such a great job.  I grew up running around barefoot in FL but I do love my shoes now at least outside.  You're a badass!  I do all of my training alone as there is no one near who runs or even walks but I do like going to races to see new areas and meet like minded people...but mostly I'm alone out there too as I am really slow.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Way to go.  The way back from Rice with the coming sun up made it seem so much faster and less treacherous.  The mud ugh. Im impressed you tackled that in sandals.  How do the top and sides of feet fair? Do you get blisters?  I  was out there too doing 100 miler.  Volunteering then doing night run sounds like a great way to get the cool experience.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

XtremeTaper

One of the things I loved about 100's (I typically ran them in the late spring) was the pre-dawn time when the birdsong started. I see you had that as well in your night time fun run. Very cool. Not sure how you manage that many miles in sandals. You must have tough/strong feet!

Anyway, congrats on getting in done and as they say "Do as I do, not as I say". Ha. I got that backwards.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Sandy-2

Congratulations!!  Very cool that you bagged a new distance especially considering that you were less than 100% with that knee issue.  It's funny, all that mud and having to contend with your sandals probably distracted your attention away from the knee, which is a good thing.

Gross about that bandanna in the ice cooler. At my race last weekend they had a separate bucket with sponges and ice water for those that wanted to rinse off.

I also tend to like to go it alone while in races (except when with my DD), or if I start out with a friend we always have the understanding that it may not last long before we go our own ways.  But I agree that it's also fun to hang with others while on training runs and while working aid stations.

Congrats again and thanks for the RR!!!

tbd.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

So glad you had a good time and your knee mostly behaved, Moonlight!  I enjoyed reading this a lot - I know every mile of that course!  I'm semi-surprised the trails were so muddy, but I guess it has been a really wet spring.  I don't typically think of Kettle as being a mudfest kinda race.

I've experienced that fog in the kettles before...super cool.

I am also no germaphobe, but WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?  That's disgusting.

Running is dumb.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Nice Job!!!  As the others, I'm very impressed with the sandals, but also as AT said, in mud it doesn't matter too much if you have shoes.  At Montour last year, I wished I had crampons for the mud, haha!  And yikes on that bandana in the ice bucket.  Some muddy snacks I can handle, but not someone else's sweat in my ice.  Hope you rest and recover well!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

moonlightrunner

Thanks for reading! It was a good time and a learning experience. Dhuff, I am more stubborn than badass! Lol.

Berto: I thought at the time that my yak trax would be good...I even had my winter sandal sock with yak trax in the car...damn...I could have worn bvv those .

THound: how did you do? Are you from that area? What an awesome running community. I suspect from the races you  run, you must be close by. Are you familiar with the Cronut Run?

I do not have any problems with the sides of my feet, and rarely the tops of my feet. No blisters. Small gravel is irritating if it gets under my foot and does not work itself out. They really work well in my home terrain. If I lived in that area I might fare better just with time. There are some sandals with somewhat bigger tread. I just don't want to lose ground feel.

Mandy: I wish I could train there all the time. I hope the time comes that they can fix your hip so you can get out for a run there again.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

LB2

That was great. I am glad everything worked out for you on this event.

LB2

T Hound

Slower but happier

Finished a little over 29 h overall not too bad for me.   I will post link to RR when I get it done. I’m from Chicago so Kettle is pretty accessible.  Have done several up there.  Haven't heard of Cronut, so i will look that up.

——————————————-

THound: how did you do? Are you from that area? What an awesome running community. I suspect from the races you  run, you must be close by. Are you familiar with the Cronut Ru.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Are we talking about cronuts, like croissant-donuts?  Or something else entirely?

Running is dumb.