Trailer Trash

TGIFdaily (Read 36 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning Trailers!  bikemmute to work and strength training this evening.  Have a great long run planned for tomorrow- big loop around Mount Baldy and Mount Edith- the upper portion of the loop is all off trail and then drops down to single track littered with bunch of high mountain lakes; saw several mountain goats and a couple bunches of elk last year too.

qotd: how often (if at all) do you strength train or cross train?  I strength train twice a week- often once w/ weights and the other day w/ bodyweight exercise, until I bought my mtn bike I didn't do much in the way of cross training (save hiking/backpacking)- now I'm biking to and fro work and usually get an additional ride in the mountains during the week w/ it

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

runtraildc

Good morning!  I don't know yet what my plan is for today.  Most likely strength at the gym and a 3-4 mile run.  The cold front moved in last night and it is about 20 degrees cooler today.  Need to take advantage of this.

qotd:  I'm not consistent with strength training, but am trying to get in twice a week*.  I do yoga as my regular cross training, at least once a week for an hour, usually I also fit in another class or a short workout on my own.   Yes, I drank the koolaid-- yoga really has kept me injury free (running related), I believe.   I am much more aware of my body and any issues that arise so that it doesn't escalate beyond minor discomfort or slowdowns.

* new resolution as of this week.

moonlightrunner

A long run planned for tonight.

Warden: sounds like a fun time! It sounds like you live and run in a magical place!

Qotd: I think about it often, but never do it. I know I should. 1+ on the resolution thing!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Hi all! Took advantage of the gorgeous NOT HUMID weather we're having today and ran 10 miles. Across the bridge to Jersey and back. Days like today I feel so lucky to be a runner Smile

QOTD: realistically, like once every 2 weeks. I need to do more.

Birdwell

Morning folks!

Got in 8 late last night

QOTD: I try to do little things throughout the day at work.

Gator eye

Nothing today

Last day at this job, this place has been in a slow spiral for years, it's time for me to go. I'll stop in now and again once I get settled.

Thanks for all the good info and laughs.

QOTD: I do a lot of 12 ounce curls, does that count as cross training?

Queen of Nothing

Sue

6.62 with Earl this morning.  Quietly approached my bear spot and it was empty. 

AT Runner:  I did do a little scouting and located bear prints about 4 inches long...so pretty sure it was a bear. 

QOTD:  No do not strength train but I need to.  I am over 50 and everything I read says I will not survive without strength training.  I was riding a motorcyle the other day for about 15 minutes and my arms were getting sore!!  That is pathetic!!!  +2 on the resolution thing!

Gator eye:  Bye, you'll be missed.  I also do pretty good in the 12 oz curls!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

moonlightrunner

Gator, you will be missed. Hoping I can see you at Woodstock! I hope to be doing the 50k there.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Had a run planned, but decided to sleep off my cold instead. Did not work to the full effect, but I do feel better. Would have been perfect weather, and I had paid the babysitter, but then life took over. Gator: ?? QOTD: Over the years, I have made the experience that if I run, my body adjusts just fine, and I stay injury- and mostly niggle- free. If I do strength training, I develop all kinds if imbalances and aches. That said, when I was young, I did a lot of different sports and physical activities at quite an intense level, so I guess most of my muscles were fairly well developed and therefore now have the ability to adjust to current requirements, plus some for "emergencies" (hills, fall prevention, climbing,...). I also still do many different things which balances the muscle groups, tendons, etc.. I do some stretching and strength exercises on most evenings, but not really enough to qualify as extra "training". Cross training is my lifestyle, so no dedicated sessions here, too.

Run for fun.

LB2

Got out for 5. I am very pleased with the week so far, going into the weekend I have 30 miles, and I only need about 50 for the week. So, I should get that without too much trouble. I'll probably end up doing 15 on Saturday and 10 or 15 on Sunday.

QOTD: I used to lift weights a lot. I was obsessed with it for a very long time. When I got out of the Marines, I was a very lean 210 and could bench press a little over 400 lbs. I hated running then, probably because it was forced; we ran in formation; people farted up front all the time, etc. I hated it. But if I knew then what I know now, I would have just focused on running. I just never broke over that tipping point where I understood running. I never felt good when I ran back then. I don't lift weights anymore. I am 45 lbs lighter, and I don't know if I could bench press 225 at this point. In fact, I am almost certain that I could not bench press 225 now. I do plan to get back into some resistance training because I believe it has great value to the runner, but you certainly don't have to be a muscle head to get the benefits of lifting anymore than you have run ultra marathons to get the benefits of running.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I do plan to get back into some resistance training because I believe it has great value to the runner, but you certainly don't have to be a muscle head to get the benefits of lifting anymore than you have run ultra marathons to get the benefits of running.

well said Smile  I used to exclusively lift and partook in almost no aerobic activities, I've seen the "light" and now embrace running as a pillar of overall fitness.  I agree that strength training is another pillar.  I've changed my strength training greatly over what I used to do- much more bodyweight training, more compound lifts, lighter weights and higher reps- I think it replicates life's needs better- while it certainly was cool to load up six 45 lb plates when I benched, it really has no practical purpose for me now.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √