Trailer Trash

D3: Agony to Ecstacy to ER, a Race Report (Read 30 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Last year's race was memorable for all the wrong reasons. I had been battling plantar fasciitis, had very low training mileage and almost no long runs for preparation, and unbeknownst to me at the time, I suffered from atrial fibrillation. All those have been corrected. I've run injury free for the last year. The atrial fibrillation has been corrected and I can train with no restrictions or medication. My mileage has increased significantly, almost double for some months year over year. I would have liked a few longer runs or races, but that's in retrospect. I set up my race schedule based on what I perceived was appropriate for my fitness, my willingness to travel, and the winter weather. Leading up to race day, I've tried very carefully to take the time to taper properly. The weather forecast, which of course I've been checking daily, looks good, possibly some rain, but no bright sun or warm temperatures. While I wouldn't say I was well prepared, I'm as confident as I've been for a race in several years.

I loaded everything but my gym bag into the car last night, so all I needed to worry about was getting up in time, eating breakfast, and getting to the race. For once I was getting a good, solid night's sleep when the warning alarm on my phone went off at 4:00 AM telling me the battery was low. I got up, plugged it in to recharge, but my rest was disturbed. Even though I got back to sleep, when the real alarm went off I was groggy and not ready to get up yet. With the 24-hour race beginning at 7:00 AM, all the parking on the street was taken, so I had to park in the school parking lot and walk a little further hauling tent, sleeping bag, and gym bag. Sometimes I wonder why I bring and set up the tent because half the time I don't use it, this year being one of them.

With the 50K not starting until 9:00 a.m., the 24-hour runners had already been on the track for over an hour before I arrived. I found a nice spot on the infield to set up and put up my "little" four person tent. After that I wandered around to greet friends and pick up my ankle timing chip. That's the one that linked to the live results, while the bib chip served as a backup in case anything went wrong. At the start is was around 60 degrees and partly cloudy. I knew I needed to slow down from my usual training pace, so I adjusted my run-walk ratio to running 250m and walking 150m. Despite the extra walking I was still covering each lap in the 3:16-3:22 range except for laps that I mostly walked while eating or taking a port-a-potty break. This put me on pace for about a 7:05, well under my 7:30 goal. As always the question was how long I could hold that pace and how much would I slow down once I started. The first test would be at 20K. I was still running very consistently and wasn't noticeably tiring yet. As 25K came and went I could sense a growing fatigue and started wondering how much longer I could maintain this pace and how I should adjust. At 30K I was still on pace for 7:05 but I was tiring. I managed a few more laps a that pace then slowed by 5, 10, 15 seconds per lap. By 35K I'm thinking it's time to walk more or even consider all walking as a little insurance that I would finish. Fortunately the clouds were blocking more of the Sun and overheating was no longer a significant worry. I opted to walk with possibly resuming running later if I needed to for a sub-7:30 time. I didn't even consider lessening the run distance and lengthening the walk distance. The first couple walking miles were quite slow as I reached 40K in 5:48. With the last 10K in 1:34:03, that time was on pace for a 7:15, a time out of reach at my current pace, but it gave me a little breathing room for my goal. As I began to recover and feel better I picked up the pace to where I was consistently sub-4:00 for each lap and sometimes even sub-3:45. One of the 24-hour runners took it on himself to be a pacer and cheerleader for me over the last 15-20 laps. The company was welcome and very appreciated. With 10 laps to go I was confident of reaching my goal and eased just a little keeping a close eye on the clock. For personal pride I did break into a run the final straight rather than walking across the finish mat. My final time was 7:25:43, well under my goal, though I had slowed considerably over the last 10K. It ranks as probably my third or fourth best ultra race ever and my best in the last four years.

After I finished, the day started to fall apart, almost literally. I immediately checked in with the co-race director as he had requested given last year's episode. While talking with him I literally collapsed and was kept from falling on my face when he and a friend grabbed my arms. It seems I literally ran myself into the ground. They eased me onto a chair and then on the ground so they could elevate my feet. I was a little nauseous and probably dehydrated, but after being covered with a blanket and getting something to drink I was feeling better. The RD did call 911 so the EMTs arrived. Of course at least one of them remembered me from last year. With only a little persuasion I agreed to go to the ER where the ER physician also remembered me from last year. This year they wanted to keep me overnight. It took longer than I'd hoped for everything to return to normal, so I ended up staying a second night while they ran additional test. After all that the conclusion was that it was primarily extreme exhaustion and dehydration, but follow up will include appointments with both my primary car physician and my cardiologist.

I need to reevaluate my goals after this. If my goals are sending me to the ER, they are too aggressive. I'm not into this ultra running to torture myself. It's the community and camaraderie that I enjoy. Unless otherwise advised, I still intend to run all the races I've registered for, but at a much lower level of intensity.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

AT-runner

Tim

George, congratulations on hitting your goal.

Only you can say if pace was too fast for future goals, but what you described sounds more like you were low on calories and suffering from dehydration.

Never good when the ER doctor remembers you. 

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Congratulations on beating your goal. Sounds like everything went great... until it didn’t.  Scary stuff ending up in the ER, glad that they were paying attention at the race and took good care of you at the hospital. You didn’t talk about your calories and hydration during the race. Might be an area to re-evaluate, like AT said.  And reducing intensity makes sense for sure.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Congratulations on beating your goal. Sounds like everything went great... until it didn’t.  Scary stuff ending up in the ER, glad that they were paying attention at the race and took good care of you at the hospital. You didn’t talk about your calories and hydration during the race. Might be an area to re-evaluate, like AT said.  And reducing intensity makes sense for sure.

Being on the track there was one food station and three fluid stations.  I was eating and drinking on a regular schedule.  It may be that the portions weren't large enough.  I was alternating my drinks among water, Sword, and Coke.  It might not be obvious from the RR but once I got into my rhythm I was walking 15 minute miles, not the 18-22 minute miles that's more typical for me towards the end of a race.  My unofficial pacer kept skipping a lap with me every 3-4 lap because he claimed he couldn't keep up the walking pace.

I'm still not running the mileage I should be, averaging 35 mpw with my longest run being 12 miles not counting Whiskey Basin.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

moonlightrunner

Congratulations! But holy crap! You are one tough sob! I wish I could push myself that hard. I hope you recover quickly.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

T Hound

Slower but happier

WC glad you're ok and survived “Dawn to Dusk to ER” #2 but that was frightening to read.  Everything was going good until it wasn’t . Didn't mention afib came back,  so whoever fixed it must have done a good job.  Are you going back next year ?  Seems like they were ready for you.  Congratulations on surpassing your goal.  Take care and recover well.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

WC glad you're ok and survived “Dawn to Dusk to ER” #2 but that was frightening to read.  Everything was going good until it wasn’t . Didn't mention afib came back,  so whoever fixed it must have done a good job.  Are you going back next year ?  Seems like they were ready for you.  Congratulations on surpassing your goal.  Take care and recover well.

D3 is local for me and Josh and Bill put on a great race.  This was my 6th year there, though after the last two years i may be persona non grata.

BTW bhearn was bumped from the US 24-hour National Team after Rich Riopel ran 162.0379 miles and Harvey Lewis ran 156.337.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

runtraildc

Congratulations on a great race and meeting your goal!  The ER and hospital stay, not so much.  I'm glad to hear you're doing better and I hope you can figure out things for next time.

LB2

I am glad you made it under your goal. And I am happy you survived.

LB2

dhuffman63

Trails

George I'm glad you are ok.  Fantastic race for you! Well maybe not the end but sounds like it went well.  I hope they can find a reason and you continue to kick ass.  I'm so inspired by all you do.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Great effort George but scary! i hope this gets figured out. passing out not good. so no sign of the a-fib? could it be a vascular issue? did you have any memory loss or confusion? maybe it was just a natural response after that much effort but reading your report it doesn't sound that grueling

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Great effort George but scary! i hope this gets figured out. passing out not good. so no sign of the a-fib? could it be a vascular issue? did you have any memory loss or confusion? maybe it was just a natural response after that much effort but reading your report it doesn't sound that grueling

No sign of a-fib, no memory loss or confusion.  Unlike the times when I fainted, there was no memory gap and I was aware of what was happening the whole time.  I think with the sudden stop after finishing that my BP may have plummeted, that combined with fatigue being the cause.  One of the signs of how tired I was is the transition to all walking with no intermediate laps where I walked more and ran less.  At times over the last few miles I had laps at sub-15:00 pace which is close to what I do with the Monday evening LRS walking group. That's in contrast to the 17:00-17:30 pace I was walking at Piedmont late in the race and that was a good, strong effort for me.  I had to concentrate solely on my pace and effort that last 10K.  While I appreciated the company and intent of the friend in the 24-hour who paced me much of that time, his constant loud encouragement started to be annoying but I didn't have the energy to ask him to be quieter besides not wanting to hurt his feelings because he had such good intentions.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Thanks for sharing.  Good pacing.  Not so good on the ER visit.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

XtremeTaper

George, fantastic job on the race and congrats on making your goal. I sort of wonder what most of us would look like to an ER doc after a long taxing ultra. Thankfully I only found out once but that was from a bad cut at Hat Run. I guess the feinting probably meant low blood pressure. Not a doctor here, but better safe than sorry in getting checked out.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Daydreamer1

Thanks for posting George.  Glad to hear that it wasn't a return of the A-Fib.