Trailer Trash

Sandy’s “Box of Rox” Race Report (Read 12 times)

Sandy-2

Pandora’s Box of Rox trail run 52.4 miler

Burnet, TX

Had fun this weekend doing the Box of Rox, DD did the marathon and I did the double marathon. We got very lucky, after a hairy green-looking storm with lightning, crazy rain (and probably some hail) blew through during the Friday evening drive, the weather left in it’s wake was great - nice and cool. Great camping weather.

The run is a difficult one since it’s done up, down, over, around, etc, etc. some granite domes (hence the name of the run) in the TX hill country. A death of a thousand cuts sort of thing. There are a few smooth parts of the run, but they are few and far between and are really there just to get you to a new set of rocks to traverse and trip over. With all the ups downs twists etc, it’s hard to get a good stretch of “steady pace zone out” running. And when you do hit the smooth bits, your legs are so shot from the gnarly stuff, who wants to run then…. There is also a mental aspect as the run is done on a 13.1 mi loop, when you get back to the S/F it can take some Jedi mind tricks to get out for the next lap.

Anyway, it’s a great run with great views and the challenge is why we do these things right? In 2 prior attempts at this run, due to early hot spring weather and other various reasons (such as I just packed it in) I wasn’t able to finish this thing - so it feels really great to have gone back and finally get it done. 3rd times a charm as they say.

I had a great time with my DD (who earlier had a great run in the marathon) and a running bud, they manned my S/F pit stops like the pros they are. They even visited me at the last aid station to give me a push and some gruff for that last 4-mile home-stretch.

Anyway as an old geezer and as usual these days I finished almost at the back of the pack in 14:25.  There were 39 starters, 30 finishers and I meandered in at 25th overall, but my running bud tells me I now have the honor of being the oldest person to ever finish the 52 miler at BoR, so I guess that’s something. 

Thanks for reading, here are a bunch of photos.

Carbo loading at Home Slice in Austin.

Getting ready to start.

Some rocks, you can see some course marking in the back.

A smooth part.

These rocks are about 15 to 20 ft high, a little shade.

This year there was some water, past years had little to no water on trail.

Oh look....  more rocks to run over.

Yet another rock.

Mile 26.2, getting ready to head out on Loop 3.

Mile 39.3, getting ready for the victory lap.

Done.

tbd.

XtremeTaper

Nice pics, is that a tiny version of you running on that rock slab?

Congrats on getting your finish and getting back at the course!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

Congratulations. Looks like a beautiful course. I wish there was more public land in Texas; I would have happily tried to shut that turkey up so you could get some rest. LOL.

LB2

Sandy-2

XT: Thanks, all photos were taken by my running bud at the s/f or a short walk he took on trail, except the pizza slice which was my DD.   The tiny runner was just some random guy having fun running on the granite.

LB2: Yeah it’s a really nice area run on a ranch west of Austin and a little east of Lake Buchanan. The ranch is used/open for all sorts of stuff; running, mtb, Sparta stuff, I guess some sort of biathlon stuff because there were random target stands in spots, etc.  Thanks, about the turkey I’m sure you would have handled it w/ no problem.

tbd.

Yay for good weather. Looks like the rox did not disappoint. That’s a charming little stream, but of course it sounds like it isn’t usually there.  What shoes did you wear, and did they work out ok with all the rox?

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Good job; stick with something and you’ll finish!  Rocks (Rox ) are tough- they definitely suck the life out of you.

Congrats as the oldest finisher!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

runtraildc

Congratulations on what looks to have been a great race! And congrats to DD on her marathon, as well.

Sandy-2

Gatsby: Yes there was more water in the pools and streams this year I guess due to the torrential downpour that we drove thru Friday evening on the way there. BTW, the pond by the s/f is there every year. We were glad we stopped off in Austin for a bit because then we didn't have to pitch the tent during the storm.  For shoes, I wore Hoka Challenger ATRs, they were great!!!  It's like having 4wd Jeep tires on - didn't feel any of the sharp rocks and they are grippy enough going up/down the rock or dirt slopes.  They don't have super aggressive lugs, but I don't need them around here.

mt: Thanks. I really needed to get the finish to "erase" those two prior dnfs.

runtrail:  Thanks.  Yes my DD was very happy with her run since it was her first race after knee surgery and that scary hospital stay 6 months ago. Her knee felt great.

tbd.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Nice job Sandy! I am sure you won your age group. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

Nice job Sandy! I am sure you won your age group. 

Nope, I was 3rd. But I was the oldest in the group if that counts for anything... 

tbd.

nOOky

Nice job on the race! How hot was it? It looks hot.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

Sandy-2

Nice job on the race! How hot was it? It looks hot.

nOOky: actually it was pretty cool.  For a lot of the course there is full sun so when it's hot, it's extra hot.  But this year we got very lucky, the start temp was in the mid-50s and the afternoon high temp was about 72 with a very strong breeze. Some spots out of the wind and in the direct sun were a little warm, but then it felt much better once back in the wind.  It did cool off again once the sun was towards the west a bit.

tbd.