Trailer Trash

Thundering Thursday (Read 22 times)

LB2

It was raining this morning, but I ran anyway. It never got very bad and tapered off pretty good by the end. I just ran 2.5 miles.

QOTD: Summer vacation plans?

We are going to Gatlinburg, TN next month. We rented a cabin that is really nice. I'm looking forward to it, but I warned my wife that I plan to relax, not run myself ragged trying to do everything. We'll see how that works out. My sister in law is going with us (or we are going with her...), and she is like a tornado, always on the go and never stops to relax.

LB2

XtremeTaper

I ran 6 miles yesterday between various rain events up at the local trail. Some rain would have been nice during the run actually. Tried to turn over the legs some as I've been plodding about most of this week but was only mildly successful. It was a decent run, not too slow, probably about 9:00'ish pace, but I blistered this run last week. My finish time from the route last week, I looked at my watch about that time and still had close to 3/4 mile to go!!

I think gym stuff today, and perhaps a short run with the Lady after work out in the wet muddy woods.

QOTD: Taking a dogcation next month for a few days in the Delaware Water Gap. My buddy and I are meeting up there for a few days of hiking, running and we are taking our dogs. Then later in the month a trip to Michigan to visit relatives and do some exploring/sightseeing around the lakes and upstate.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

dhuffman63

Trails

Another day of no training but I have been doing the stretches the PT gave me.  So far my back does seem better but I've not been doing any real walking or anything strenuous.

qotd: I'm going to visit my parents who are in their 80's and may or may not be around too much longer.  They live near Biloxi.  I'll get to see my brother who lives in NW FL too. Leaving the 1st back on the 8th.

Here's my new motto...no more DFL of DNF's...they are stories now.

Story

Daydreamer1

Spending the morning running my butt off.  Unfortunately it's at work and things are buuuussssssyyyyyy .  I hate when I actually have to work at work .

Spent last evening trying to work on putting a garage door in my shed.  Thing is so out of level that's it's kind of interesting getting things to work.  Then on top of that I had a couple of women screaming and beotching at me the whole time. Got so bad I told 'em both I was about ready to get the shotgun after them .  Good thing for them that their names are Wren and Robin, and I tend to be partial to ladies with those names .   Mrs Wren saw fit to become a squatter and start a family inside the shed just because the door was off.  And all her dang brats are doing is squawking and screaming to be fed while she's screaming at me for being in MY shed. Then Mrs Robin is upset that I'm working near her bush.  She's sitting on some eggs and just can't get it in her brain to just sit still while I work there.  On top of all that I finally had a Bluebird sighting yesterday.  Looks like they are starting to rebuild their nest in the box that is on the shed so I have to get this project done so they can have some peace and quite to.  Damn place is going to the birds .

QOTD:  DW works as a nurse so that really puts the kibosh on any real summer vacation plans.   She's not allowed to take off very much time in June, July and August.  Most of our plans now are in the fall.  This year we will spend about a week in Townsend TN, the quiet side of the Smokey's, in early October.   Close to Cade's Cove and also close enough to get to Pigeon Forge. We'll get tickets for Dollywood and see some other shows.  We will try to do outdoors stuff in the mornings then the park and shows in the afternoon.  I avoid Gatlinburg like the plague.

Sandy-2

I'll probably run 4 or 5 mi after work today.  Supposed to be a little warmer than yesterday, which was hot enough.  I'm just kinda slogging it these days anyway.

LB2 - Gatlinburg? that place is bizarre. I hope the cabin is a little outside of town.  (However the Log Cabin Pancake House was good.) When my DS and I were there we wanted to go to Clingman's Dome but the road was closed due to snow and hiking in was kind of a pain so we turned around.  You'll see a lot of AT thru hikers if you go up that way.  We spent most of our time while in that area in Asheville, NC which is more my speed, but also spent a day or so in Gatlinburg.

qotd:  No real plans yet, but we tend to wait until the fall though.  We prefer to go places when it's less crowded, kind of off-season I guess.

tbd.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

4 mile walk this morning. My groin “thing” was bothering me last night and I actually thought I shouldn’t go but the dogs really need it.  Felt fine after I warmed up.  Could have been the advil or the marijuana oil our neighbor made and brought over.

Qotd: Friday I leave for Michigan for two weeks visiting the family.  Hope it’s warmer than the last summer I was there.  When I get back we have 10 days to move out of the house and into the trailer.  After that not sure if you call it a vacation or a new way of life.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

runtraildc

I ended up with 6 miles last night, with thunder in the distance and high heat and humidity. And the hills were no joke.  Today, I need to get to the gym so that's my plan. I'll get in 3-4 on the treadmill. It's too hot outside today. I just can't.

qotd: Traverse City MI at the end of July to join DH's side of the family. Trying to figure out a quick getaway to see my mom (and siblings) in MN maybe at the end of August. And currently finalizing my MDI marathon rental house for October. My mom is going to join me and my sister (and maybe a niece and nephew). It's going to be a short walk from the finish line. I prefer the 'quietside' of the island.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I went climbing last night.  Not the greatest session - a lot of problems just kept shutting me down.  There's a V2/3 that has a big power move that I'm not tall enough to do statically, so I keep trying to find solutions but no dice.  But the gym had its puppies and gear trade night, so I got to climb AND pet dogs.  Who could ever argue with that?  Smile

QOTD:  Well, the only thing I have planned is backpacking in Wyoming in August.  I have a ton of ideas in my head that I'd like to do, but am reluctant to plan anything when my body is being so uncooperative right now.  It's very frustrating.

Running is dumb.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Will run something tonight.  Feels like FLA weather today, rain, sun out, downpour, sun out, repeat.

Mandy - sorry your body is not cooperating. What is a V2/3? Obviously something to do with climbing.  All I can picture is you hanging off a rock wall and then throwing yourself up or across to land on another section.  Fairly certain that is not what it is. 

LB2 - GL with the "restful" vacation.

dhuff - good motto

queen - yay for selling your house. The rest of your life will be a vacation.

QOTD: DW and I are getting away next weekend to DC and the shore (DE beaches most likely).  Thanks to DC & others for helping with some intel.  We will be biking into the monument area and hanging out for a while and then biking back out, stay overnight somewhere and then to the beach for the next 2 days.  Then our family vacation in August to Chincoteague, VA - our very favorite place to go.  I am a little worried as the house we are renting was recently put up for sale and is under contract.  If the new owner does not want to honor the future rentals, they do not have to.  So we'll see what comes of that.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Mandy - sorry your body is not cooperating. What is a V2/3? Obviously something to do with climbing.  All I can picture is you hanging off a rock wall and then throwing yourself up or across to land on another section.  Fairly certain that is not what it is. 

Heh, I mostly wrote that in case Berto showed up.    V2/3 is a rating of how hard the climb is.  (The V scale goes from V0 (easiest) to V15 (hardest - like crazy hard.)) And what you just described about throwing yourself to another hold is called a "dyno" (dynamic movement.)  Which is kind of what I need to do to finish the climb I was talking about!  I'm very bad at it because it scares me.  I prefer not to dyno when I climb.  Take your kids to the gym and let me know how those V0s go for you.    Although you're very tall, so you'll have an advantage on a lot of climbs!

Running is dumb.

LB2

LB2 - Gatlinburg? that place is bizarre. I hope the cabin is a little outside of town.  (However the Log Cabin Pancake House was good.) When my DS and I were there we wanted to go to Clingman's Dome but the road was closed due to snow and hiking in was kind of a pain so we turned around.  You'll see a lot of AT thru hikers if you go up that way.  We spent most of our time while in that area in Asheville, NC which is more my speed, but also spent a day or so in Gatlinburg.

What do you mean by bizarre? I haven't been there since I was a kid. I may spend a day in Asheville. I am not sure where the cabin is. Holy crap, what have I gotten myself into?

Update: We are in Pigeon Forge.

LB2

NorthernHarrier

What do you mean by bizarre? I haven't been there since I was a kid. I may spend a day in Asheville. I am not sure where the cabin is. Holy crap, what have I gotten myself into?

Update: We are in Pigeon Forge.

Heh, heh, I'm thinking he means bizarre because you would have to be a very brave man to hit Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge during the height of touron season. My guess anyway. Take some happy pills.

Buddy just left after a few good days of fishing and hanging out. Beer, bourbon, cookouts over the fire, etc. Good time. Now back to my usual scheduled programming. Mtn biking shortly after I put away a few things.

QOTD--I guess these days I don't really have a summer vacation since DW just retired and we're spending the bulk of our time up here kinda like a long ass vacation. But we will be heading back to Utah on July 2nd for 8 days. We'll spend the bulk of the time at my daughters new home so there will be some mountain running and then DW and I will head to Ouray Co. for a few days of our own mini-vacation. Otherwise I'll be spending 17 days in the San Juans of Co. in August myself climbing 14's, trail running, and mt. biking.

LB2

Buddy just left after a few good days of fishing and hanging out. Beer, bourbon, cookouts over the fire, etc. Good time. Now back to my usual scheduled programming. Mtn biking shortly after I put away a few things.

Which bourbon were y'all enjoying?

LB2

NorthernHarrier

Which bourbon were y'all enjoying?

At the shack right now I have a large bottle of 4 Roses and another large bottle of Wild Turkey 101. A few months back DW and I went to the nearby large volume liquor store and bought 7 bottles of different bourbon and had a pretty good evening of doing taste testing and comparing. It was a real good night.   Anyhow, our decision was incomplete and I think we need another night of testing. For now though we both agreed that while all were good the 4 Roses was the best taste for the $$.  Off the top of my head the others were Buffalo Trace, Old Forester, Bullitt, Old Grand Dad, Makers Mark, and  Elijah Craig.  We consume a large quantity so we need to be cost efficient.   Life is grand!

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

5.5 miles, the weather was much better than what the forecast had said.

QOTD: Run the 4K on July 4th with the kids, and our yurt camping vacation in July. I am planning on biking through  the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon, or kayak there with the boys. Maybe drive to the beach for a few days. Not really big plans, just some activities.

Run for fun.