Trailer Trash

Try Again Tuesdailies (Read 21 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Once more off to the airport.  I think if my flight gets cancelled again, I'll take that as a sign I shouldn't go and just cancel the trip.

qotd: Worst travel snafus?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

runtraildc

Legs are feeling the effects of yesterday's run, so I'll be taking it easy today. If the weather cooperates, it'll be 3-5 miles easy with the brewery group tonight.  If the forecasted thunderstorms do get in the way, I'll do some rowing.

qotd:  Having had to travel a lot for various jobs, I've had my share of delayed flights and a cancellation or two, but nothing big. I had a number of strategies that I followed to lessen the risk (i.e. no Chicago/Atlanta or Texas stopovers, if possible. Avoid certain alirlines.  Early day flights. you get the drift). One trip stands out in 'luck' factor, though. I was leaving a remote port in Alaska and with no plane tickets available, I still went to the airport in hopes of getting a seat standby. Weather was moving in and the possibility of the flights closing down for days was real. After a long day, I did get a seat on one of the last flights before the airport closed for a week.

AT-runner

Tim

Good luck, George. Hopefully bad storms won't delay you. Take lats of pictures. I love that area.

I'm going to woods to get lost. Plan is 7-8 miles. Heavy storms are coming later and I'm supposed to go the the Washington Nationals game with DS. There is a Grateful Dead cover band playing before the game.

QOTD:  When we lived in Iowa, I had several flights through O'Hare that were a mess. We would take a small pane from the Quad Cities to Chicago and then wait to fly to DC.  We were there in 1987, the day the airport flooded and most of the airport lost power.  DW waited at a gate and I ran around looking for any flight heading to any of the DC area airports.  Found one going to National Airport,  and I ran back to get DW and we just made the flight. It was only 1/2 full and we later found out that only a handful of flight got out that day due to lack of communication (all the information boards were offline).  It was a mess since many flights landed and stranded passengers.  In those days you could exchange tickets at the gate counter. Wound not be able to do that now.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Damn, George, I'm sorry.  If it makes you feel any better, I'm not out West this week either.  Fingers crossed you make it to your race!

Running is dumb.

dhuffman63

Trails

Oh my George that sounds awful.  I hope it works out for you.

qotd: Chicago...was there for a meeting with my boss...flight cancel out of O'Hare but we got one the next morning from Midway back to Tulsa...only problem was all the hotels were booked so we slept in the airport for the 6 am flight.  Worst trip ever.  Been delayed multiple times but that was the only cancel.

I have 2 days of online training for the Data Analysis software I use.  Good thing I have the standing desk cause sitting here makes me crazy.  I did 5 min on the rower last night but skipped going to the gym at lunch for the bike to nowhere.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

5 last night.  Legs felt very heavy but able to push through.  Today will be a rest day.

George - I hope it works out for you.

QOTD: I flew to Europe when I was 14 by myself (sister lived there).  On my flight home, we were delayed, while being in the plane already, for 6 hours.  About every hour, they kept announcing we were delayed a bit more due to mechanical issues.    A normal 6 hour flight turned into 12 hours of sitting on the plane.  After a couple hours, they offered free boos.  Of course me being 14, I was probably the only one sober on the flight.  Oh yea, there was a large group next to me who were rolling there own cigarettes...maybe throwing something else in there - back in the day when you could smoke on a plane.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

God!!! So busy!!! I ran a short 2.5 mile loop this morning.

QOTD: Nothing major, but I don't travel that much.

LB2

Sandy-2

Got up and did 4 mi this morning.  I went a little faster than normal, but it felt easy.

George; uuugh glad the airline took care of you, but yes, the car rental and hotel changes are a hassle.  Especially these days with pre-paying and non-cancellation clauses (which I try to avoid by the way).

By the way, the Mongol Derby just finished Day 7, they are stopped for the night. The first batch of riders will finish tomorrow, Day 8.  An old crusty cowboy from Wyoming (RL) is out front I'd say he's about 35 miles from the finish.  There is one guy about 2 hrs behind him and a batch of other riders about 2.5 behind the leader (the guy Devan trained (FW) is in this batch).  The thing is, RL is carrying a 27 minute penalty, so he has to cross the line at least 27 minutes in front of 2nd place to take it.  Oh yeah, that crusty old cowboy out front? He's 71 years old !!

Tracking Map: https://www.theadventurists.com/adventures/mongol-derby/#1 (you may have to hit the "track live" in the upper right corner)

Daily report: https://www.theadventurists.com/adventures/mongol-derby/updates/

By the way, in the tracker there are some riders who look like they took a direct route to the finish, they did, in the sweep van (aka, the blood wagon).

qotd: Mostly had to deal with some long delays, but fortunately it doesn't happen too often. Most of my travel is the long-haul stuff so airlines try like crazy to keep those on schedule.  (runtrail, you should add Paris to your list of transfer hubs to avoid, although I do like going there as a destination.)

The worst delay was going from Seoul to LA, first we sat on the tarmac in Soul for hours, then due to crew time restrictions we had to make an unscheduled stop in Anchorage, then we sat in the plane there for about 5 or 6 hours waiting for a new crew before they let us off for an hour or so, we finally got to LA about 18 hours late, it totally sucked.

tbd.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

strength trained yesterday evening; it’s amazing what some consistency has on your strength- six weeks straight of lifting twice a week now Smile

will hit the trails with Tiny Elvis after work today

qotd: I don’t travel a ton either and knock on wood, not too many bad stories; George hope it works out for you

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

XtremeTaper

Just gym stuff so far today. I opted not to run last night and spent 2+ hours out on the back deck staining spindles and rails. At least now I have that part of the lower deck done. Now onwards to the upper deck and stairs. Storms forecast here seem to be a fizzle and staying south other than some light rain. Should be able to get a run in tonight. Can't seal the deck when rain is forecast, but you can run.

QOTD: I've had several flight cancellations and delays on winter flights to Florida, but the worst scenario I remember was in the late 80's flying Northwest Disorient from LA to Cleveland for the holidays. This was way before smart phones and internet, I supposed I could have called but arrived at LAX to a longgggggggggggg line for mid-morning flight and found out flight was delayed until midnight. I lived near the airport so cruised home, came back late that night, checked-in and flight was again delayed 4 hours until 4am. Finally boarded, a little buzzed from beers in the bar, and of course my connection in Detroit was all whacked out. I remember being very groggy but was patient and polite (ok I begged please) and managed to get on the next flight to Cleveland. I was bushed. Most embarrassing was a layover in Chicago to fly back home to Cleveland... left the plane to stretch my legs on the stopover from LA, found a bar, had a few beers, came back at the appointed departure time and they had closed the gate and would not let me on. I had to explain that one to the folks. Ha.

George - You could have driven there by now!! Hope you are on your way. Weather seems ok here right now.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

NorthernHarrier

Sitting in a brew pub in Pancho Springs, Co. Love being on vacation. Oh wait, I do that at home too. Knocked out 3 14ers yesterday. Not acclimated at all and I was in rough shape when I got done. Decided to take it easy today and I’ll get after it tomorrow again.

QOTD- nothing off the top of my head

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Made it to Chicago. Now have a 4.5 hour layover. My flight wasn't even on the monitor yet when I first checked. And it was a 15 minute walk from gate to gate once I found out where to go.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

adkkev

lurking as I usually do ...

qotd:  Our first trip to Alaska to visit our son and future DIL on Northwest ... Albany to Detroit on a MD88.  We were approaching Detroit and the plane began circling around, making wide loops back out over Lake Erie and then back inland.  Finally the pilot got on the intercom and announced that one of the landing gear lights was indicating that the landing gear wasn't locked in place.  So they had to circle and drop fuel.  After a bit they announced that were going to make an emergency landing at the Detroit airport ... and so the flight attendants showed us how to do the tuck and chant as the plane descended.  We landed safely on runway furthest from the terminal, and surrounded by firetrucks, etc.  Once the plane stopped, we had to wait while the maintenance folks pounded some sort of pin into the landing gear to make sure it didn't collapse.  Then we were towed all the way to the terminal at a snail's pace.  Once in the terminal we ran to our next gate only to see our flight to Anchorage backing out of the gate.  We made it to Anchorage the next day ... via Seattle rather than directly.

Hasn't stopped us from flying ... I've flown to Alaska 17 times, my wife 14 times (I went solo to visit one winter, another time to hike the Chilkoot Trail, and then another time to run the Equinox Marathon as a part of a three person relay team ... we finished 46th out of 147 teams).

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

No run today, drove to VA Beach with the kids. It was fun, and we are now at a cute little hotel on the ocean front. I can see the waves from the room. Looks like some nice two days coming up.

QOTD: I’ve also had some major delays, but most adventurous was a stopover in NYC in July 1976, when the big blackout hit. We (my parents, my sister and I) had just arrived from Vienna, Austria, it was late afternoon or early evening, and were waiting for our connecting flight to Los Angeles. At that time, a transatlantic flight included a fuel stop in Iceland, and from our small town in the middle of Austria to Vienna airport it had been a 6-hour train journey, so we had already been traveling for about 18 hours. Just half an hour before boarding, the lights went out and didn’t come back on. For several minutes, everything was pitch black inside JFK airport. Security and police were yelling, but people in general stayed calm.

About half an hour later, news spread that it was a major blackout that affected the whole city, all flights were canceled, and the airport would be closed. We should come back next day in the morning.

All people were ushered out of out of the airport, and we found ourselves somewhere on a street. We knew English but were not too proficient in terms of vocabulary. A long line formed in front of some improvised information booth, and somehow my parents got a room in a downtown Holiday Inn. At the time, that was a nice hotel. A taxi took us theee. We had to walk up 6 floors to our room, and I remember we had to carry all our heavy suitcases (all stuff for 4 people for a 7-week expedition) up the steps because the elevator was of course not working. Lights were out, too, they gave us flashlights. It was after midnight local time by then.

Next day, we somehow made it to the airport by 9 a.m. , just as it re-opened. We were put on an early afternoon flight to Los Angeles, and I still remember the beautiful Boeing 747 which would take us there, as it was parked at the gate, shining and sparkling in the sunlight. It seemed like a miracle plane to me.

Rest of the trip trip went uneventful, but it was, all in all, a very long travel to get from Austria to LA.

Run for fun.