Trailer Trash

Thursday (Read 35 times)

LB2

Good morning folks. I will run around 7 after work today. I changed plans yesterday and lifted weights. Many years ago, I was quite good at lifting weights. But after several years of focusing on running, my upper body strength is far from what it should be.

QOTD: How much strength training do you do (resistance training/weight lifting)? How important do you think it is to successful running?

I do not do very much, but I am in the process of changing that.

I think it is paramount to longevity, especially in the longer distance races. I think focusing on strengthening the hips and glutes is probably the most important. But I also think that upper body strength is more important than most people think. You have to use your arms, shoulders, abs, and back. They must be strong.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

zero day for me today Smile

qotd: I've lifted weights my entire adult life, sadly for most of it to the exclusion of aerobic activity; I started running two years ago and got hooked.   I still lift weights, but much differently than I used to- for one I only strength train twice a week (I used to lift 5-6 times a weekShocked), I've reduced the weight and increased the reps- I take little to no breaks and have added a bunch of bodyweight exercises in addition to more traditional weight training

I'm confident it doesn't hurt my running and most likely helps, but I do think it's an important factor in overall fitness so regardless, strength training will always be a part of my working out regime

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

runtraildc

Morning!  Probably no running today, but yoga at lunch.  This past week (work, school, visiting family) has destroyed my running schedule.  the time shift is not helping, either.  Oh, excuses, excuses.  Let me take a minute to think up a few more....

qotd:  Very important, especially around longevity and keeping injury free.  I've found cross training / strength to be increasingly necessary as I've gotten older (or could it be that I'm paying more attention?).  I need to work on upper body strength and the smaller muscle groups that don't get used as much (or overpowered) by the big, running muscles.  Piriformis, anyone?

Morning,

I would like to get in 6 after work, but might do it tomorrow morning instead. The beauty of tapering is there is SO MUCH TIME to do everything and moving runs around is not really an issue.

QOTD:

I barely ever lift weights. My intention of temporarily stepping back to half marathons next Spring is so I can focus on getting in the gym more and build a strong upper body again. I used to lift heavy weights (and people!) back in my college cheerleading days, but now I can barely do 10 pushups. Roll eyes

NorthernHarrier

Again up and out early today. Got in some trail intervals on our measured halves. It left me very hungry and i already ate. I know there is some halloween candy around yet....  Cold morning at 30F but I'm still running in shorts, days are numbered here.

QOTD--I do strength training and have for years and just like my other forms of cross training I do, I do it because I like to and it enriches my overall quality of life. Don't know or care if it improves my running as I have never been a one trick pony. I assume certain programs could help but on the other hand carrying a lot more upper body weight probably won't help you get up any 4000' climbs.

Not sure if I will get a run in today.

QOTD: Lately not much.  I don't think it is especially helpful or harmful to my running.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

sugnim

Good morning all.  I think I found a way to fit running into my schedule with the new baby.  Yesterday I asked my boss if I could come in early on Tuesdays & Thursdays so that I can leave early & hit the trail.  He said that physical, mental, and emotional health are all extremely important and that I can change my schedule to get some running time in.  Hooray!  I work for a great guy.  I'll be on the trail for 5-7 miles this afternoon, and then home to spend the evening with my little one.  Smile

QOTD:  I don't really do strength training with weights.  But I do regularly lift 50 lb bags of chicken food, scratch, and dog food.  I garden, mow the lawn or shovel snow, rake leaves, and work on the house.  Currently I also lift a 9 pound baby, often doing reps of side-to side arm rocking motions.  But I've never found weight lifting to be interesting.

AT-runner

Tim

Rain soaked run today.  Went from drizzle at the start to a nice steady downpour.  All the laves are down, so there was not much cover from the rain.  All said, I still enjoy running in the rain.

sugnim - Nice boss.

QOTD:  Very little.  If I have the time, I'd rather go for a run to improve my running than lift weights.  If time wasn't an issue, I'd probably lift.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Chnaiur

Yesterday I did a 3.5 hour trail run in the darkness. Lots of time for reflection, and not only on the leaves and branches (har har).

I'm experimenting with taping the arch of my right foot, and it generally helps. Yesterday I discovered that really uneven terrain will loosen the tape and therefore the support after about an hour. I need to innovate my current method!

Today will be 5 in the park.

Sugnim, great boss - congratulations!

QOTD: I've lifted the last 20 years, but only since March have I been on a good program. I now do large, compound exercises twice per week, and I think it is doing wonders for my running form. I'm 6'3 with a long torso, and doing Deadlifts and Presses has really helped me build upper and lower back strength to maintain form and stop slouching.

I also frankly just love Deadlifting in and of itself. It is such a simple and primeval feat of strength: deep breath, tighten everything from butt to head, and rip the heavy-ass bar off the floor.

My two athletic goals for next year is to do a 50-miler and Deadlift 2x bodyweight.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

LB2

My two athletic goals for next year is to do a 50-miler and Deadlift 2x bodyweight.

If you could only do one lift for overall strength, I think it would be a toss up between the dead lift and the clean and jerk. The clean and jerk might edge it out because of that explosive movement at the end, but I think it would be close.

LB2

XtremeTaper

Put me down for 6 miles of rolling hills out on the road today at lunchtime. Fairly pleasant weather. Mild, grey skies, low clouds, and spitting rain.

QOTD: I try to lift once a week. I've been slacking as of late. I don't really do it to improve my running but to ensure I don't get sand kicked in my face when I go to the beach.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Chnaiur

If you could only do one lift for overall strength, I think it would be a toss up between the dead lift and the clean and jerk. The clean and jerk might edge it out because of that explosive movement at the end, but I think it would be close.

I hear a lot of good things about the C&J, but unfortunately I can't do it. I ruptured a tendon sheath in my hand when I was rock-climbing, and now I can't bend my wrist backwards far enough to catch the bar in the shoulder position.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

jonferg67

Endless trails

DW and I went out for a little hike and I tested my heel issue. I only did

a few hundred yards at a time but my heel feels fine, and I'm convinced

its bursitis and not some type of Achilles tendinitis. If all is well tomorrow

am I'll slap on the New Balance for a few miles.

QOTD: This past injury has prompted me to start up again, I think its

very helpful for injury prevention. I'm doing body weight exercise; squats,

lunges, calf raises, hip flexor stuff and core. I did weights in my 30's and

beefcaked up a little, but then lost interest.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I'm on a not getting out of bed and then too dark when I get home and the dreadmill has a crack in it none running streak!!! Day four although I did bring clothing for a lunch run.  Hell they didn't promote me so I will take my 1/2 hour lunch and stretch it into a little over an hour and run.  Hopefull I run today.

QOTD:  None...and I am an old lady that am told all over the health magazines and TV shows that's once your old your only hope is to to lift weights.  So I keep thinking I need to join a gym.  I think it is benefical for running to prevent injuries, although I haven't had any in years but then the questions is: Am I a successful runner?

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Snowdenrun

Morning!

Yesterday I had an eye exam, test I will always fail no matter how hard I try. But it's amazing the difference a new prescription makes!

My run yesterday under 4 miles has left me sore today! But I think a nice slow run is in order. We'll see, I haven't ran a 2 day streak in a looooong time. Smile

QOTD: I do zero strength training. I always think about doing it. ...and then I don't. But even though I don't do specific strength training I am constantly using arm power at work and at the fire department and since have become noticeably stronger.