Trailer Trash

AT intel from AT-Runner needed (Read 31 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

AT-Runner - I need your knowledge...please.

What is the AT like south of Boiling Springs? I have been maybe 5 or 6 miles south and I know it's rocky.  But what are the next 5 or 6 miles like after that? I am assuming just as rocky.

What about the AT starting at Pine Grove Furnace - both directions for 10-11 miles?

I have an open window on Sat am for a long run and want to explore where I have not been before.  Was thinking of starting at BS and heading south and turn around at 11 miles or maybe start at PGF and head north...or south...or both.

Or if you have any other suggestions for trails to do a LR on that is not too far from Dillsburg...I am open to that too.

And one final question, what is the best way to get to PGF from Dillsburg.  I am dropping the kids off at my SIL and then heading out.  It doesn't look like there is any direct route.

Thanks!

Edit: I was looking at maybe Buck Ridge Trail from PGF out n back to Kings Gap and then add some on the AT for a little bit - maybe pole Steeple, etc.  Do you know Buck Ridge?

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

Sorry, just saw this.

OK, like I told my buddy, Scott Jurek (haha) the area between Caledonia SP and Pine Grove Furnace SP is probably my favorite.

From Boling Springs heading South, you are low for a bit and cross a few busy roads and then climb up toward Piney Mountain.  This climb is riddled with rocks that are stacked and very tippy.  Not the best running for a mile or tow because of the surface, but some nice views on the ridge.  After ridge running for a bit you'll pass turn off for Pole Steeple (worth the diversion) and then it drops sharply as you get near Pine Grove Furnace.  There is a 1/2 mile that is paved leading up to Laurel Lake, and at the lake there is a great concession stand.

From PGF SP heading south, you climb up "Old Shippensburg Rd" section and are greeted by some great "rollers" that are very runnable.  Some nice views from the ridges as you head towards Dead Womans Hollow Road, which is the new 1/2 Way Point on the trail. There are a couple of really good climbs and drops but most of it you can run.

Oh heck, what time are you thinking, maybe DW and I will join you.

EDIT - I sent you my cell #.  Text me and maybe we can hook up.  Bucks Ridge Trail is nice climb up to Kings Gap.  Great view and almost always good shade.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

AT-runner

Tim

I'll meet you at Laurel Lake parking area tomorrow at 9:00.  I'll think of a good run where you can see a lot of the area.  Maybe some of the Ironmaster Course.

Any PA people who want to join us, come on out.  DW is 50/50 depending on her day today and how much rest she needs.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

My favorite day of the week is RUNday