Trailer Trash

Wonderful Weekender (Read 20 times)

runtraildc

Woke to temps in the 60s this morning. And the humidity has dropped for the weekend. Wahoo! Got in 4.5 slow and easy miles with the group this morning. Chowder was giving me the sad eyes so I brought him along. I figured I wasn't running fast and the weather was in our favor. He's still too young to run far or regularly, but he did really well. We had a few walking breaks, and a couple of almost falls because he changed course rapidly and inconveniently around my legs, but overall seems to get the hang of it.

qotd: WC and NH mentioned their upcoming trips yesterday. What about you? Any upcoming travels-- even fun day trips?  Nothing big for me. I'm planning to head to New Hampshire later this week,  but my BIL has shingles so we'll see.  Next thing up would be Maine in October.

XtremeTaper

Nice here this morning here too, only in the 60's and even this afternoon low 80's with low humidity and a breeze. Ran 4 this morning with the Lady, my buddy and his dog over at French Creek. Nice and shady. We are baby sitting his dog for a few days. She's some sort of mix, he thinks beagle/lab and who knows what else. She is very sweet and looks sort of like a miniature black lab.

QOTD: Big trip was a week ago out to Michigan with a stop in Ohio. No travel plans at the moment other than Columbus Ohio late November for a college football game. Need to figure out something else I suppose between now & then.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Sandy-2

You guys are killing me with those temps.  We had 81 deg at 5:15am this morning, I did 13 miles, the legs shut down at about mile 10.  The last 3 miles were a struggle, but I did have to get back home. Right now the thermometer has it at 98. The grass and some of the trees are starting to show signs of stress, turning brown.

qotd: On Friday DD and I are headed out to California, she's doing Tevis and I'll be crewing.  I'm not bringing any running stuff.  Also I have a business trip to India in October, but I'm going to take a side trip to Split, Croatia to do the 54k along the coastline.  I'm trying to convince my DW that we should go somewhere for our 40th anniversary, but she'd rather hang here and just go out to dinner or something..... I'm still trying though.

tbd.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm trying to convince my DW that we should go somewhere for our 40th anniversary, but she'd rather hang here and just go out to dinner or something..... I'm still trying though.

I hear there's some great restaurants in Paris.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice run last night with the drop in temperature (sorry Sandy).  Felt funny running later in the evening as I'm usually a morning runner.  Long run tomorrow. Supposed to be 58* overnight, so can't wait.

Sandy - buy tickets to somewhere, and tell her after you get them.

QOTD:  Going to see the out-laws in-laws over Labor Day weekend in Boone, NC.  We've done this the past 2 years and now they expect it. DS and his GF might tag along. 

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

moonlightrunner

Had a great time at the Taquha 25k. I was a beautiful day! Perfect weather. My friend and I drove up together. Like most people, she runs faster than I. I was with the sweeps guy for most of the race and we talked through the miles. It was so pretty there. The last 6 miles were pretty gnarly. There were two injured runners, so I left the Sweeps Guy and ran the last few on my own and enjoyed the quiet. He was interesting...had great stories while we ran.

So glad I ran it...disappointed no bling at all.

Met Eric Gator Eye there...he picked me out of the crowd...I was the only one in sandals.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

No run today, all work, and then I fell asleep. Another coworker quit yesterday, so we are now seriously understaffed. Penn State summer semester graduation on top of that, totaled in 11 hours of work. 

Two of my kids are at the RenFair today, near Lancaster, PA. As far as the pictures show, they are enjoying their day, especially as the weather is wonderful (around 80 degrees, light breeze, low humidity). Time for a visit, Sandy?

moonlight: Yay for the sandals. I still have to get myself to get those 5-fingers!

QOTD: We are going to Virginia Beach this coming Tuesday. It was a quick decision, it's probably the last time I'll have two days off in a row ending with a morning shift and starting again on a closing shift, which gives me almost 4 days of "vacation" without having to take vacation days. All kids are coming, and I'm really looking forward to a lazy beach vacation before school and football season start again.

Run for fun.

Sandy-2

Did 11 this morning. About the same conditions as yesterday. It was tough in spots, but overall easier than yesterday. I never hit the ‘running thru quicksand’ stage.

Have a nice Sunday.

tbd.

Happy Sunday.  Awesome cool, foggy morning.

QOTD: Might go to Monterey for an overnighter later this month.  Going to MI for my 100 on September, where I hope to see Moonlight's sandals in person!  Funny thing is that my other pacer also wears sandals for running.  I'm going to be the odd one out with my sneaks.

I did a trail race yesterday in Cool, CA.  Temps were in the low 80s, which was surprisingly cool for that area.  Last year it was >100. Signed up for the 25, did a couple bonus miles early after following a 100 miler the wrong way .  Then I added a few more miles after the race to make it 31.  Bonus 50k!

DHuff, I thought of you when I saw the tents set up by the 100 milers.  They do 4x the 25 loop.  There were big tents, small tents, big canopies, small canopies, plus campers and car camping.  This was my favorite, like a half-tent that's open in the front with a zip-up flap, plus windows for ventilation.  Small folks like us could stand or lie down in it.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

dhuffman63

Trails

Did the Tulsa Taller 5k yesterday with DD and DGD...it started at 630 pm and was 96 with a feel like of 105.  DD and I took turns pushing the stroller with DGD (she'll be 3 in Sept and 3 miles is too far)  There was a woman there with a 3 year old boy who ran/walked the whole thing...she kept yelling at him to hurry up, they had no water and even tho they had two water stops it was ridiculous of her.  There was a road crossing and even though there were cops there she left him to cross on his own...one of the other people saw this and said something to the cop and he found her and told her to keep him with her or leave.  Poor child.

No back pain and I've done 3 on the TM this morning...want to get 3 more but my allergies have me coughing and my chest hurts.

Gatsby I like that tent..wonder where they found it.  I'll search on line.

qotd: I have to go to KC for work and then at Labor Day I'm volunteering at the Lhotse 200 in Owasso.  Oct I'm going up to Ottawa KS for the Rail Trail 50k.  I'll be seriously undertrained...lol.

DHuff, Eureka Solar Shade large tent is only $100 on Amazon. You can see if the reviews are helpful. And you can see similar sorts of tents if you scroll down to the “sponsored products related to this product” and the things that other people looked at.

These would not be the way to go for camping, but for shade and shelter at a race, it might be enough.

https://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Solar-Shade-Tent/dp/B07TD5MYHH

Slow easy 14.6 miles today, ending the week at 64.  In contrast to yesterday, it was blissfully gray here for my run.  Fog has since burned off and it's going to be a busy day at the beaches.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

our heat wave is officially over- got over an inch of rain in the last 24 hours and highs in the 60's- perfect!

6 miles yesterday on the trails for Tiny E and I; 8 today

qotd: we're renting a large cabin at Georgetown Lake in a couple of weeks for DW's birthday, oldest DD and family are coming as well

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Sitting in the sunset the pool and debating if I should go I an evening run later, or just leave it with biking and swimming today. Maybe I’ll complete my private little “tri”, maybe not.

Nice tent, Gatsby, I was thinking if something like this for shade and to keep things together at the beach or next to a hammock/pod for sleeping.

Gatsby: congrats on the 50k!

A few days ago, I was also witness to some merciless parenting, where a mother of twins singled out one of them and constantly harassed him, then had the 1.5-year old boy apologize (“Say I’m sorry, mom!!”, the kid could barely even talk yet) for crying after she had him sit in full sun for 45 minutes, facing the sun, in full clothes, on the hot concrete. It was even too hot for me to sit in the sun on a bench for more than a few minutes. The mother herself was standing in the shade of an umbrella, of course. No water for the kid.

When she finally got her kids in the water, she was standing outside of the pool, turning her back to the one kid for a full 15 minutes, not looking even once. The little kid was in the pool where the water depth slowly increases from 1/2 foot to 2 1/2 feet with no dividers. 

Some parents.

Run for fun.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

7.2 miles easy

Finishing packing, trying to go with the bare minimum, but threw in a couple extra water bottles.  Roughly 5 miles between aid stations.  Even knowing it's rail to trail and the slope couldn't be more than about 3%, I'm concerned if that could be a steady 3% for several miles and I don't know how difficult that could be.

Course profile: 30M starts at mile 70.

qotd:  Leave tomorrow, destination Custer, SD, highlights to include Mt Rushmore, Badlands NP, Wind Cave NP, that peak Mandy mentioned, and of course the George S. Mickelson Trail.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

qotd:  Leave tomorrow, destination Custer, SD, highlights to include Mt Rushmore, Badlands NP, Wind Cave NP, that peak Mandy mentioned, and of course the George S. Mickelson Trail.

Black Elk Peak.  Smile  Enjoy your trip, George!

Running is dumb.