Trailer Trash

Thursdailies (Read 31 times)

AT-runner

Tim

ATRunner - How are the Olympus Altras? I've been running in the Lone Peak and Superior. The Superior is my "fast"/"easier" trail shoe. I was not brave enough to use them at the HalfWit.

I bought my first pair this winter and loved them right away.  I wore the same pair for my entire 24hr in May. I had extra shoes to change, just in case, but never wanted to switched out of them.

The Olympus' were back ordered for a long while but just came in stock a few weeks ago.  I use them on mild trails / roads / logging roads and wear the Lone Peaks on the twisty, rocky trails.  They would be great for around trails like  Blue Marsh.  They would not be great for the rocks and roots (and steps) of Half Whit.

Only complaint; what's up with silly extra rubber thingie off of the back heel.  I cut it off of all my Altra shoes.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

muppy

Muppy - What part of the horseshoe trail? I've covered the entire trail and remember the section at the start after Valley Forge, and also the section near Hershey had a lot of road.

Winner winner chicken dinner! Started in Hershey and went south toward Mt Gretna. I figured there is a chance that parts would be on the road, I drive by it every day so I figured I'd check it out.

XtremeTaper

I bought my first pair this winter and loved them right away.  I wore the same pair for my entire 24hr in May. I had extra shoes to change, just in case, but never wanted to switched out of them.

The Olympus' were back ordered for a long while but just came in stock a few weeks ago.  I use them on mild trails / roads / logging roads and wear the Lone Peaks on the twisty, rocky trails.  They would be great for around trails like  Blue Marsh.  They would not be great for the rocks and roots (and steps) of Half Whit.

Only complaint; what's up with silly extra rubber thingie off of the back heel.  I cut it off of all my Altra shoes.

Huh.. I thought maybe they were a step up from the Lone Peak in terms of "ruggedness"  as their website shows them as the max cushioning trail shoe. My chiro recommended I try these and I've been using them in my rotation since March. I am afraid sometimes I trip more on roots and rocks because of the large toe box but these days my Cascadias feel a bit clunky but I rarely use them except long runs. I ran the halfwit in the Lone Peaks.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

XtremeTaper

Winner winner chicken dinner! Started in Hershey and went south toward Mt Gretna. I figured there is a chance that parts would be on the road, I drive by it every day so I figured I'd check it out.

One of the best sections is between Mt Gretna and Middle Creek Wildlife Refuge. It's a 20 mile plus/minus long run one way.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

Huh.. I thought maybe they were a step up from the Lone Peak in terms of "ruggedness"  as their website shows them as the max cushioning trail shoe. My chiro recommended I try these and I've been using them in my rotation since March. I am afraid sometimes I trip more on roots and rocks because of the large toe box but these days my Cascadias feel a bit clunky but I rarely use them except long runs. I ran the halfwit in the Lone Peaks.

I like to have more "feedback" on rocky trails, and these shoes are "high cushion".  Don't know if they are more rugged than the Lone Peaks, but they are higher (like Hokas's) and absorb a lot of shock, which is why I love them for roads or logging roads (gravel).  With the tread, they can be used on any trail, but for me, I like to be a bit more connected to the trail (to avoid tripping) so I use my Inov8 235's or the Lone Peak for running on the Rocksylvania AT sections.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway!