Trailer Trash

happy Fall (Mondaily) (Read 20 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Fall is officially here, but appears that winter will be here unofficially on Thursday Sad  I'm heading into the Bob Marshall Wilderness for a early rifle season on Thursday, not exactly the weather I was planning on, but if I'm lucky to harvest an elk- I won't have to worry about meat spoiling 

Sighting my rifle in after work, so no workout today.

qotd: is there an event you've never done, but would like to?  a buddy told me about a 50k that circumvents around Mt St Helens- the Volcanic 50, sounds like a grueller, but goes through several different environs all in one race- typical PNW rain forest to total devastation from the volcano- said it looked like something you'd find on Mars.  Also the event that moonlight did- Frozen Otter in the dead of winter- sounds horrendous- perfect Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

dhuffman63

Trails

I did nothing at all last week mileage wise...did some bodyweight exercises and of course my PT stretches but being in KC and not sleeping well led to a week of 0.  I did still walk at least a mile a day and of course there was the stair climbing due to the elevator being broke but I am so ready to get back to it.

MT, wow....I can't imagine the temps there already.  And nope for me on the 45 lb pack...that's almost 1/2 my weight.

qotd: OMG there are so many I'd like to do.  Lean Horse is one that George did.  There's a new one in WI called the Badger...I'd like to do the 100k.  I'd like to do an event in every state but I only have 6 right now.  I'll go over 5 years here in March and get more PTO so I can travel more.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Also the event that moonlight did- Frozen Otter in the dead of winter- sounds horrendous- perfect Smile

LOL.  Come on out - Harrier and I will crew.  Speaking of, I wonder where he's been hiding.

Happy fall, everyone!  I am trying to go into cooler weather with a better attitude this year.  (I can hear you all laughing now.)  I did some decent biking over the weekend.  My bike is back in its normal mode with road tires and fenders.  Feels good.

QOTD:  Oh, sure.  Plenty of them.  But I've forgotten what they are at this point. 

Running is dumb.

XtremeTaper

First day of fall forecast near 90 degrees here. Heat is supposed to break tonight/tomorrow.

Typical routine here so far. 2 miles with the dogs this morning in the hood with a mile stop/start dog jog. Will get back on track with gym stuff at lunch and plan for some miles after work. Might just take Baker or go solo. The Lady did not do well with the heat yesterday.

QOTD: I guess Western States for the history and to be part of the big show, though my interest now is about nil, though it was high in the past. Qualified numerous times only to miss hitting on the lottery no matter how many tickets. I did crew out there once however. Others, I don't know. If I was looking for scenery probably a 50k-50 mile race distance preferred. 100 milers are just so taxing. I'd really recommend Laurel Highlands to folks that like woodsy trail running. I think it is awesome that the course traverses the entire distance (70 miles) of a point to point hiking trail. It's a unique feature and they don't have to mark the course since the trail is blazed. Just follow the yellow blazes.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I got in a nice 19 miler yesterday - was super slow but consistent.  It was weird how slow I was - I kept trying t run faster but just couldn't so I just kept at the same pace throughout.  Not sure if I will run tonight.  I should.

Winter? bite your tongue.  I am still waiting for fall.

QOTD: a hundred.  Any hundred at this point.  Also, I was paying attention to the 200 mile races (Tahoe, Bigfoot, and Moab) this summer.  Looks like an incredible adventure.  But then I saw the cost!   So I will dream of my hundred and keep it at that for now.  I would loved to run WS100, ES100, MMT100, Grindstone 100, OC100, etc.

Have a great Monday!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

Nothing today. Mileage may suffer a little this month, but I may cram a bunch of miles in over the weekend... I don't know.

QOTD: I guess maybe El Vaquero Loco would be one I wouldn't mind doing, but it is so difficult to get to western Wyoming. Other than that, I don't really have anything that comes to mind.

LB2

LB2

QOTD: a hundred.  Any hundred at this point.  Also, I was paying attention to the 200 mile races (Tahoe, Bigfoot, and Moab) this summer.  Looks like an incredible adventure.  But then I saw the cost!   So I will dream of my hundred and keep it at that for now.  I would loved to run WS100, ES100, MMT100, Grindstone 100, OC100, etc.

Have a great Monday!

I think it was last year or the year before that I mentioned something on someone's FB about the cost of one of those races. I think it was actually called the Colorado 200; I think that was the race. The RD responded to justify the cost. I responded to that by saying that I understood that they do a lot to put the race on, but a $1000, or whatever it was, was just beyond my price range for a race. Honestly, a 100 miler that goes over $200 is more than I am willing to pay unless it has a very significant meaning to me. And by significant, I mean some area that has history that I am interested in, or, as in the case with Pinhoti, some area that I was fascinated by for some reason. The region in and around Heflin/Oxford, Alabama was the first mountainous region I had ever gone through as a kid, and I was just spellbound by the beauty and literally wanted to get out of the station wagon right there and run and hunt through those woods way before I ever discovered "running". So, it was really a great thing for me to finish that race, and the fact that the buckle has turkey tracks on it just made it all the more special.

LB2

Ho hum, Monday again.  And once again fall (or is it a fail?):

I spent the day on Saturday volunteering at a trail race.  Earned a free race entry, which I shall use sometime soon.  After taking off 2 weeks from running, I went for a short joggity jog yesterday.  Things all seem to be working fine so I might as well get back in the saddle.

Warden, I'll meet you over at the Volcanic 50.  That's been on my radar for a while, something intriguing about running around a volcano.

XT, Laurel Highlands looks interesting.

QOTD: WSER (and I've got one lottery ticket this year!  1% chance!), Castle Peak 100k (up in the mountains above Truckee, with fun rock scrambling), Tromso Sky Race (hey, I can dream I'm a badass like Kilian, right?).  I'm sure there are more...

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

AT-runner

Tim

Summer still here.  Nice run Saturday early in the morning before it got stinking hot. Yesterday was terrible.  Very humid, and I was thinking I felt better that expected. Well, after waiting at a turn for DW, one I started running again, I was fried. My HR spiked up and I felt terrible. I slugged home the last 2 miles and was feeling like crap, and then "where's DW?".  She limbed in 5 minutes later which was a big gap for the 2 miles. She looked worse than I felt and was having the same issue with her HR going up.  I HATE THE FUCKING HEAT !!! 

George - nice job on what looked like a brutal day at NC24.  Harvey looked strong. Hope that doesn't zap him for Worlds.

Moon - embrace the suck.  Glad you finished, and congratulations.

Tiny House all Closed in. 8 work days to get to this point. Things will slow down now.

QOTD:  Never any luck with WS lottery, and like XT, that train has passed. I'd like to run a race an ultra in Ireland or Scotland.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

moonlightrunner

Warden....really ? SNOW?

I feel really good today. Already planning on a strategy to train so I can do the DWD 50 miler next year. More than half the 50 miles dropped. Heat and humidity were a factor I am sure. I just cannot imagine doing 20 more than I did.

I spoke with a gentleman my age who has done numerous 100's. He did Burni g River a few weeks ago...and dropped at 95. He said he was ahead of the cut offs and did not have a pacer. But in his mind HE WAS DONE! I have not run longer than 43 miles, but I can see how the longer you go the more it becomes a mental effortjamie: congrats on your long run...so glad you are fully recovered!

Qotd: a 100 miler. I need to be faster if I ever hope to. I am aging faster than I am developing any speed on my feet.

Any of you PA folks familiar with Linn Run State Park? I am considering a race there because I would like to see the Flight 93 Memorial and it is close by.

Warden: i am debating the FO for 2020.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Exactly! over $1000.  The one I was looking at most was Tahoe that was just run.  There is a ridiculous number of permits needed for that since it circumnavigates the entire lake. I imagine that's a ton of money.  And then they use satellite trackers.  They probably have to store all of the equipment for these races (the triple crown are all put on by the same group) so that costs money.  But over $1000 per runner? I think Tahoe had 150 runners so safe to assume they are getting at least $150,000.  The RD has to be making some money on this.  Again, it's the same group, the same RD for all three races.  Is this how she makes a living? Maybe.  I don't actually have a problem with the RD making some money off of it.  But that's still a crap load of money.  Hundos on the other hand, I am not sure what my limit would be.  I know a few hundred dollars is probably the average.  I think WS100 was over $500 last time I looked.  It's crazy.

I think it was last year or the year before that I mentioned something on someone's FB about the cost of one of those races. I think it was actually called the Colorado 200; I think that was the race. The RD responded to justify the cost. I responded to that by saying that I understood that they do a lot to put the race on, but a $1000, or whatever it was, was just beyond my price range for a race. Honestly, a 100 miler that goes over $200 is more than I am willing to pay unless it has a very significant meaning to me. And by significant, I mean some area that has history that I am interested in, or, as in the case with Pinhoti, some area that I was fascinated by for some reason. The region in and around Heflin/Oxford, Alabama was the first mountainous region I had ever gone through as a kid, and I was just spellbound by the beauty and literally wanted to get out of the station wagon right there and run and hunt through those woods way before I ever discovered "running". So, it was really a great thing for me to finish that race, and the fact that the buckle has turkey tracks on it just made it all the more special.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I’ll set up a 200 mile race in Montana, will only charge $500 per runner and limit it to 200 runners 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

Went on a field trip for work today. Drove to Beaumont and visited an old navy support ship that was converted from a fast container ship. It’s a 45 year old ship that reportedly can still cross the Atlantic in about 4 days. Kinda cool crawling in the engine room with twin 120,000 hp turbines.

I couldn’t help but think of the Millennium Falcon....   "It's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs!"

qotd:  Too many.  Although I’ve started it I still want to get HR finished. I think UTMB would be cool too.

tbd.