Trailer Trash

Thundering Thursdays (Read 21 times)

dhuffman63

Trails

We have quite a storm here….lots of lightening and thunder along with rain.  It was so bad last night it woke me up and I sleep like the dead.  I have a couple dogs who don't like it and they want to crowd around me.

Got in a 30 min bike to nowhere at the gym yesterday and then came home and did 5 min on the rower.  Going for an hour on the TM tonight.

qotd: I need either a small tent or a small canopy for some of the timed events I'm considering...what would you use...I'll be by myself and I'm 4'9" and 97 lbs so it has to be easy to handle.

Mandy how was the Badger pacing?

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I did some easy climbing last night.  I have a finger that's a little naggy right now, so I'm just trying not to make it worse.  Seemed to have worked.

I actually did not wind up pacing at the Badger 100.  My friend dropped at mile 80.  But she said the race was well run.

QOTD:  Diane, you can probably get away with something cheap, unless you'd like to use it to camp for real.  Maybe look for some cheapie Coleman type tent.  If you want something nicer, I'm willing to bet you could get a tent for around $100 from REI.  If it's just you setting this thing up and using it, I'd opt for smaller rather than bigger.  You don't really need to space and wrestling with some big 4 person monstrosity by yourself sucks.

Running is dumb.

XtremeTaper

Not sure of running plans tonight. Slacker mode, so I will play it by ear. I did end up getting out for a few miles last night out at Coventry Woods with the Lady. I had not ran her for awhile due to the summer heat, and last night was rainy with temps in the low 70's. Actually running may have been an overstatement for what we did. Ha. A bit of rumbling in the skies but nothing scary or dangerous. We just wandered about for 4 miles. Bugs were biting even in the rain.

QOTD: Not much help here. Lots of gear heads here should be able to help.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

I am in target shooting mode right now. I picked up my new hunting rifle yesterday and headed over to my neighbor's to shoot. We got it pretty close, and now I am fiddling around with some ballistic stuff for the scope. I really want to see how accurate the information is, but I can't do any long range stuff for a little while. That put me behind because I didn't get home until dark. So, I was running a little late this morning. I ran a 2.5 mile tempo run. It was actually pretty good.

QOTD: This question was actually something my neighbor and I discussed yesterday evening. He has erected an umbrella over his shooting table to keep the sun from beating down on him when he is shooting. They load the table up and take it to my cousin's gravel pit sometimes on Sundays so they can shoot out to about 600 yards. They also have one of those extension type canopy tents that fits over the table, which is perfect. I think something like that would be essential to a 24 hour event or when you are camping. The one issue I have with our camping/hunting trips is the middle of the day. Sitting in the sun is not something I want to do for very long. And I don't want to be confined to a tent during the middle of the day. I can only sleep in a tent, not sit. So, the canopy tent is the best answer I can think of to address that issue. You can get one at Amazon for anywhere between about $60 to $250. I think a $60 version would be fine for me.

LB2

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

7 miles yesterday. Met a former project partner, who was walking his two lean and mean trim wiener dogs, they are the sweetest things. We got to talk and decided to catch up on a lunch date tomorrow. Not sure what it entails, but I know that there’s no such thing as a free lunch, right? 

I finally decided on a on a beach break (3-day beach mini-vacation) and booked a beach front hotel for me and the kids next week. Yay!

XT: A lazy dog is always a great excuse for lots of walking breaks!

dhuff: Storming here last night, too, just as I was taking my shower. A little scary.

Mandy: I hope your finger will stay well behaved.

QOTD: I would also opt for a small cheapo tent, from Walmart. Maybe even just one of these pop-ups, there are the beach pop-ups, and the pop-up tents. I think either will be fine. If it rains heavily, just put a tarp on the floor to protect everything from the rain.

My kids used cheapo tents for years of backyard camping, they were the 3- or 4-person tents, and I could set them up myself (5’4, 100 lbs), but it was difficult when it was windy.

Run for fun.

No thunder here. We never have storms in the summer.  My yard and the state’s reservoirs would be happier if we did.

10 miles last night with 2000’ vert on the second half. Today, either rest day or short joggity jog after work.

QOTD: seems like it would depend what you want to use it for.  For shade, you’d probably need a canopy. For sleeping, you’d probably want a tent.  If you’re parking a vehicle nearby, you might just be able to use a tarp to create a shady sleeping spot.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

AT-runner

Tim

Easy run this morning. As XT mentioned bugs are getting pretty nasty around PA. I had a buzzing sound in my right ear for most of the run. I kept swatting it away but kept pace with me for a while.

QOTD:  I've used both a canopy and a tent and sometimes both at the same race.  The tent is nice if you want to change clothes (which I do often in a 24 hour race if it's hot) or for a taking a nap if you plan on one.  Some shade is needed, and if you don't plan on sleeping or can change clothes in a rest room, a canopy is nice for keeping all of your supplies handy and providing a shady spot to put your chair.  We usually have a camping table and set our food on the table and use a cooler and place it next to the table. Throw in a camping chair and you're all set.

10 x 10 Canopy

We have a tent like this we use just for races. Easy set-up Tent   

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

4 miles on the trails with DW and Tiny E this morning- going to be hot today (93), BUT it looks like cooler weather might be rolling in this evening (fingers crossed!)

qotd: I'd agree if it's just shade and rain protection- a little pop up canopy, if it's sleep (and shade) I'd look at 2-3 person (you definitely want more room than a solo tent would provide) free standing tent- they are very easy to setup and generally very sturdy; you can spend a lot on one if you're going to be doing a lot of backpacking, but could easily get into one for $100-ish

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

I did manage to get out after work yesterday, 5 mi 99 deg.  I felt ok to start, but the last 2 miles were a slog.  This morning I got up and did 3 more, it was only 81 deg at 5:15am.  Much better this morning, even with the humidity.

MM: hope your finger get better soon.  Funny how fingers and toes can cause such problems.

qotd: I don't think I can add anything to what has been said already.

tbd.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Scratched last night's interval workout nominally because thunder and lightning was close, but really because my legs were trashed after a short warm up.  By the time I was in my car driving home it was a full blown storm.  I wonder if the handful of runner that started the workout were able to finish.  Took it very easy today with a 5.7 mile recovery run-walk.

Mandy - damn, it's tough to lose a pet.  Maybe it's time to get away to the mountains for camping and hiking.

qotd:  I bought a 4-person tent for use at fixed time races.  Lots of room to spread out with gear, sleeping bag, etc. and almost tall enough to stand up. (I'm on the short side, 5' 8").  I can put it up by myself, but it's easier with help.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

moonlightrunner

No run today. Getting packed for the trip to the UP for Saturday's race. I had my injection of synvsc today...feels better already. My orthopedic doe not tre as t backs in any way shape or form. He said he would refer me to a physiatrist. I think instead I will go to an osteopath someone recommended. I think the race will be no problem. The drive might be difficult.

Dhuff..you are so tiny! I agree with the cheapo tent idea.

GB: with all your racing and training you should be quite the contender at Woodstock!

Gator: hope to see you up there...I am the old blond lady dressed in black. Hoping it makes me look thinner.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k