Trailer Trash

Why is it Still Winter Wednesdailies? (Read 39 times)

some call me Tim

Take it easy. I've run in running snowshoes once, A/B'ed em with the trail shoes I was strapped in with, went off trail with them, wasn't impressed. Hardly enough to make recommendations, based on that I don't get it. But up to maybe a foot and a half of powder I really prefer to just run in shoes with good lugs or spikes. It could be what we have here, or the limits of my experience... or it could be that they're snowshoes in name only- a conceit :P

So you state all your experience is with all purpose snowshoes but yet running snowshoes are no better than trail shoes on groomed trails. Not sure how you came to that conclusion but you couldn't be more mistaken.  The general progression on the trail in winter depending on conditions would be trail shoes followed by screw shoes, followed by micro spikes, followed by a running or smaller type snowshoe, and then on to a larger flotation type snowshoe. At least if you live or recreate in big snow country. Each type has their place.

I have done 7-8 snowshoe races and generally they will be on some sort of groomed or packed trail but even then there is good depth to the snow base. Think of a groomed for skating ski trail. Not very runnable in standard trail shoes at all and especially as this packed course gets chewed up by the 50 people in front of you.  But yet despite never trying them running snowshoes are a "conceit". Whatever.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

In pure powder, I usually don't need any screws or microspikes. No slipping or sliding there, and neither screws, nor spikes prevent the sinking. In powder, it's either trail shoes (and sinking in), or snow shoes for me. However, the slipping sure also depends on what the bottom layer is.

In my regimen of experience, nothing can prevent the sogging of the shoes, though. Last winter, I got frostbite on my toes a couple times, until I discovered neoprene biking booties for snowshoeing. Problem was that the snow got on/into my shoes, melted, and the cold water froze my toes. More snow that stuck to the now wet shoes, melted, and made the toes even colder. No socks helped with that when the temperature was low enough, and when I was outside for a few hours, even though I think wool socks might still work best to keep wet feet reasonably warm.

Now with the booties, the shoes/socks/feet still get wet, but the amount of snow melting on my shoes and then freezing my toes is limited - so as long as I'm moving, my feet are able to stay warm, despite being wet. I guess gators work well, too, depending on how much of the shoe they cover, and how much snow still melts through.

Run for fun.