Trailer Trash

Washington DC help (Read 17 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I am looking for some help on DC intel.  Looking for a biking route or path that is in the city.  DW and I are looking to spend a day or two there but want to do some biking.  I would love to couple it with sightseeing.  Any paths that end up at or near the monuments/National Mall?

Any other suggestions of things to do? We will probably only be there one day and night and then head to the shore the next day.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

DC is very bike friendly.   The C&O end at Georgetown and you can take the Rock Creek Trail (runtraildc will know more about this than me) or Capital Crescent Trail.

Google Maps will show trail locations if you zoom in.

Rock Creek Trail goes right to the Lincoln Memorial via Parkway Drive NW, and form there you can access the Mall.

Stay in Georgetown (to ride in) or Crystal City and Metro in to DC.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

In addition to what AT said, I've done runs along the Potomac from Crystal City to Old Town/Alexandria (Jones Point Park).  I've also gone towards the west along Four Mile Run.  Also I hit a hike/bike trail up in Tysons Corner.  Those are not in D.C. itself and I think the C&O  at Georgetown and the Rock Creek Trail as mentioned by AT are better for in Town.

But it's best to get input from runtraildc.

tbd.

runtraildc

Hi Jamie-- just to add here. You can take your bikes on the metro as long as it is not rush hour (but check wmata.com for the details). With this in mind, I would recommend taking the metro to the Bethesda station (red line) and taking the capital crescent trail all the way into DC. Connect in Georgetown to rock creek and continue along the Potomac to the Lincoln Monument and the Smithsonian Mall. (or further to Hains Point) The trail is wide and paved, 95% in the shade and a slight downhill. If it's a weekday, it will be relatively quiet.  Good stops would be Fletchers Cove, Georgetown.

The second option I would recommend is Sandy's-- taking the Mt Vernon Trail to Alexandria. You can connect to this trail at the Key Bridge in Georgetown (in DC) or further south off the Memorial Bridge by Arlington Cemetary (though this connection might be trickier and there is construction on the memorial bridge). If you've had enough, you can bike back to the National Airport to catch the metro (the metro stations south of the airport are closed until Sept). Again, paved but more sun exposure (but iconic DC views)

Rock Creek in DC is mostly dirt trails (yeah!), but the paved trail from the zoo has been refurbished and was good for bikes. This would be the busiest option.

Generally, stay away from the Metropolitan Branch trail.  There is a new trail near the Nationals Stadium along the Anacostia that might be worth checking out.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Awesome detail! Thanks.  Watch it will probably be a stormy/rainy few days.  

I have seen people take bikes on the metro but not sure we want to do that.  We'll be driving down to DC anyways, staying somewhere, and hanging out for a day/night or so.  Then heading to the beach for 1-2 days.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday