Trailer Trash

Thursday (Read 37 times)

runtraildc

So the current status is....  they are stopped for the night, my DD is exactly 3.8 miles behind the leader and they have about 200 more miles to go.  The riders in 3rd and 4th are riding together about 30 miles behind my DD.  The epic battle of the Mongol Derby continues.

Thanks for the update!  And 3.8 miles is nothing. Good luck to your DD.

Watoni

I did 5.5 on the "secret" trails last night (and some not so secret), but felt really solid (ankle and achilles still a touch sore, but the ankle seems to be healing well).

QOTD: Wow, that's a tough one ...

how about: Monkfish with roasted tomatoes and olives as an appetizer

Grilled steak with aioli

roasted Provencal vegetables

Caramelized pineapple with vanilla sauce and coconut gelato

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Planning on a run later.

traildc: Industrial running. Just grey in grey. Good thing is, it's not forever!

Jamezilla: 10k on the 5k race course? Two loops, or zig-zagging along? Anyhow, have fun!

sugnim: While your trail just re-opened, mine was closed. But I have a lot of options, so it does not really hurt.

Muppy: have a good run later! Hope it won't be too hot.

Queen: The trick is to not stare at the trees, but to run into them.  Black eye

jonfer: If they have you take your lunch at your desk, at least you should be entitled to some mental entertainment!

O2: Now that's a nice sunrise run!

T&C: Forget the plan. Oh, wait, you need something to blame if the next race doesn't go so well - better keep it, just for mental relief.

Sandy: Great race of your DD, she's tough! I hope she can catch up again soon!

AT: Good timing for swallowing the spider. Protein is good for recovery!

Watoni: Great that your ankle is healing up!

QOTD: This would just crush my appetite, I'd probably have nothing. Or something that will make me feel so sick that I wish for the end to arrive anyway. Like a pork roast with a thick crust of fat, fries, and an Austrian poppy seed cake with lots of whipped cream for dessert. Works every time... Dead

Run for fun.

Chnaiur

Will finally get a long run in tonight! Will be three hours on a really grindy single-trail loop in Corte Madera SP.

QOTD: I'm a sucker for champagne and appetizers, so here we go:

Apps:

Seared Foie Gras w/ Champagne

Steak Tartare w/ Champagne

Halibut Cevice w/ White Wine

Main: Cognac-glazed Short-ribs w/ Amarone

Dessert: LOTS of vanilla ice cream with sun-ripened raspberries w/ Muscat

Since I'm dying soon I think I'd end it with two bottles of fine cognac.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

Morning!  A measly 3 miles in downtown Newark this morning.   Rutgers campus improved the scenery, but only slightly.  There's a park a few miles away, but I've been told it is 'too far', and not so safe.  I'll hopefully get in another couple of miles on the treadmill later.   Don't be jealous.

qotd:  pass

Take the Gladstone or Morristown rail line to Millburn station and go for a run at South Mountain Reservation.  This group runs there almost every weekend.

Taper rest day today, 2 miles tomorrow.

QOTD:  Boiled potatoes and a handful of gummy bears, 10 minutes before I take a header on an awesome downhill.

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

Sandy-2

Is anyone else following Sandy's DD's Mongolian race?  Pretty coll stuff.

Thanks AT, by the way in case you are wonding how I know some detailled stuff, you can also see live tracking (each rider is wearing a trasnponder).  I was meaning to forward this because I think it would be very cool to have this for some ultras.

My DD's name is Devan and her nickname on the race web site is “Texan Temujin”.  There is an online live overall tracking map where you can see the orange flags that mark the course.  Click on the flags to see the order.  They are 25 miles apart and also where she changes horses.  You can click on the dots to see the riders.  If you click on the rider name you can see the track history of that rider.  Don’t forget they can only ride from 7am to 8:30pm local time (6pm to 7:30am CDT).

http://www.theadventurists.com/the-adventures/mongol-derby/edition/summer-2013

I should add that they have taken a few riders back to Ulaanbaatar due to illness or injury, and the rider who is currently at Urtuu 21 is recuperating from an injury there and will re-join the main back later for a non-competitive ride to the finish.  Funny thing is thay they are still showing them on the map.  LOL.

tbd.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Thanks AT, by the way in case you are wonding how I know some detailled stuff, you can also see live tracking (each rider is wearing a trasnponder).  I was meaning to forward this because I think it would be very cool to have this for some ultras.

My DD's name is Devan and her nickname on the race web site is “Texan Temujin”.  There is an online live overall tracking map where you can see the orange flags that mark the course.  Click on the flags to see the order.  They are 25 miles apart and also where she changes horses.  You can click on the dots to see the riders.  If you click on the rider name you can see the track history of that rider.  Don’t forget they can only ride from 7am to 8:30pm local time (6pm to 7:30am CDT).

I should add that they have taken a few riders back to Ulaanbaatar due to illness or injury, and the rider who is currently at Urtuu 21 is recuperating from an injury there and will re-join the main back later for a non-competitive ride to the finish.  Funny thing is thay they are still showing them on the map.  LOL.

I have nothing to say about running today but I did want to say that it is pretty cool to track Devan's progress.  I know little about these types of things but still very cool.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Interesting to follow, and nice pictures. I can imagine it is physically tough and mentally challenging having to ride these Mongolian ponies, but the riders seem to have a great time.

Run for fun.

Chnaiur

.  Don’t forget they can only ride from 7am to 8:30pm local time (6pm to 7:30am CDT).

So what happens if they are between waypoints at 8:30pm? The first day your DD was the only one to get to #3, right? Did she take a chance, or did she just get out of #2 before the cutoff?

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

Sandy-2

So what happens if they are between waypoints at 8:30pm? The first day your DD was the only one to get to #3, right? Did she take a chance, or did she just get out of #2 before the cutoff?

If they are between Urtuus they have to stop where they are.  They can continue, but they incur a two minute penalty for each minute they move after 8:30pm.  They either sleep out under the stars or meekly walk up to a local hearding family, presumably smile a lot and 10 times out of 10 the family will put them up for the night.  I guess they know about the race and consider it good mannors.  I spoke to my DD two days ago and she spent two nights with two different families.  She said they were so unbelievably nice and welcoming.  As they say "priceless" memories.

On the first day my DD took a huge chance and pressed on to U3, while all others stopped at U2.  She basically broke the race open and dared them to come after her.  She held them off for about 300 miles or so.  That's tough being the front runner out alone, and one person passed her yesterday while she was chasing down her horse after being dumped.  I guess she thought she was at the rodeo.

tbd.

Sandy-2

Interesting to follow, and nice pictures. I can imagine it is physically tough and mentally challenging having to ride these Mongolian ponies, but the riders seem to have a great time.

Day 2 was horrible weather.  When I spoke to my DD two days ago she told me that on the 2nd day she was bonking and having trouble reading the GPS.  I guess that's why she made a navigation error.  Of course I told her that she needs to keep up with the eating and drinking to keep her mind sharp (she has some trail mix, gels and beef jerky with her, but not a lot due to weight limits).  I also reminded her that the shortest distance is a straight line (ha ha ha).  She then told me nicely to buzz off and that I can't see the hills, rocky outcroppings and swamps.  LOL.

Let's hope she can catch the front runner.  If you listen to the new audio blog they indicate that my DD is not feeling well (maybe too much local noodles and "questionable cleanliness" out on the Steppe) and had a horrible day yesterday.  But she still managed 100 miles.  Wow!!

tbd.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I'll be headed out for a 6-ish mile run in the hills (wait till about 8 so it cools a little)

qotd: 2.5" marbled ribeye- medium rare; baked potato w/ cheddar, sour cream, chives, coarse pepper; large caesar salad w/ croutons; warmed french bread w/ garlic (pressed) butter and a nice shandy beer in a frozen mug

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √