Trailer Trash

Calling for a ride. (Read 53 times)

SillyC

FTYC ...... ouch, that sounds awful!

I admit, I've had one near-miss with hypothermia, back when I was 20, and it wasn't running or sports related.  It was a travel connection gone totally wrong.  I locked up, I got confused, and I even lost consciousness.  The next several days were a bit of a blur.  I have since (pretty much all my adult life) been fanatical about taking layers with me.

I've made the call of shame on a few occasions, but it's never been melodramatic.  Last week (10 days ago), my neighbor and I went out for our long run, and in 2 miles, we passed three one-car accidents.  Then, my neighbor slid on the ice and kept sliding, sliding, sliding right into the intersection.  We decided to go home, but did the call of shame because we were truly worried about getting squashed by a vehicle given the slick conditions.  My hubby could take a different, less icy road to reach us, but that route wasn't runnable.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Couch - it's amazing your DH let's you out of the house anymore in the winter!!!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

SillyC: wow, serious stuff!

Heat exhaustion, on the other hand, is no fun, either. This is my personal runner-up for botched runs.

Jamie: My DH is a gem.when I go for a winter run now, he already gets the thermos with the hot tea ready, and has the car idling in the parking lot, LOL.

Run for fun.

Watoni

I have never called for a ride, but there are three calls my bride will likely not forget:

#1: We were moving from CA to NY and expecting our first child. She was in NY apartment hunting, I was taking a part of the CA bar-requirements since I had gone to law school in CA. I was DIY'ing part of the Devil Mountain Double Century, the tough second half, which is very remote. It was very hot, and the one source for food and water along the route for about 30 miles was somehow closed. I managed to get to the top of Mt. Hamilton from the backside, finding a spring to drink from, but had bonked so badly I was almost delirious. I descended into civilization of sorts but had no idea how to get  to my car other than by climbing Sierra Road, which is a beast under good conditions. So, I called my bride and said where I was, my route and that if she did not hear from me in three hours she should call it in ...

#2: Got lost running new trails close to home, so I hit darkness. Trying to make it down through the redwoods in the pitch black, I again called the bride and said where I was and again when to start worrying. I made it about 40 minutes later.

#3: A "neighbor"  was buzzing a bunch of cyclists on our local descent, and then on a straight away decided to clip me when he could have passed me sideways .... I slid about 60 feet, totaled my bike, cracked my helmet (which saved my life) and was lucky I had tights on due to the rain so the leg trauma was not as bad as it could have been. As the ambulance was taking me out, I realized I needed to let my bride know I was ok. Problem was, I had my head taped  to a board, so I handed the phone to the EMT and asked him to make the call, starting with "Your husband was in an accident, but he is ok ... he cannot talk since I taped his head to a board"