Trailer Trash

Western Wednesday. (Read 25 times)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Good morning everyone.

I ad a decent 3+ miles last night. My calves feel so tight that if you poked them with a pin they would just explode, but they seem to be allowing me to run a little. My feet and ankles also are swelling more as the days go by, and they're pretty sausage like today. Group run tonight is down on a flat bike trail, so that will be a good setting for me. I haven't decided on the distance yet, and will just play it by ear.

LB2...definitely an odd pain. Our bodies love to mess with us.

Berto...Glad you're feeling spry. Enjoy the trail.

DrJ...That pen light probably making you quite the intuitive runner, given what little light I'm sure it provides.

DHuff...I struggle with early morning runs too. I want to do doubles, but I want to sleep!

AT...I guess it's good to know that summer isn't actually over with the humidity returning...feels like it has gone so fast. Nice work on the mileage.

Sandy...Good work on the 10...cool pics

Bird...Hope the knee keeps improving for you.

Mtnwarden...Well done with the heat training - definitely necessary. Hope your buddy isn't in too much pain.

GC...Congrats on the mileage PR

Madison...Keep us posted on the trekking poles? I'd like to hear how you get on with them. I haven't tried them myself, but am considering them if I decide to do Grindstone or Cloudsplitter.

QOTD...had 311 for the month - not hard to hit a big month with a 100 mile race

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

LB2

LB2 - That's a strange spot to get a niggle.  Hope it goes away soon and isn't anything serious.  Also, not bad mileage for your neck of the woods.

It is a little strange. I have never had that before. I think it will work itself out. As far as mileage goes, I guess it is pretty good, but I was just so tired after the last few years of constantly trying to get more and more mileage through the heat of summer, I needed a break. It has been a good break. Running is fun again.

LB2

Birdwell

Bird - I'm sure doc or PT told you, only flexion / extension stuff. Avoid anything like breaststroke kick in the pool. Good luck.

funny you mention that, because that's what i was trying to do 

I'm having extension issues still and wanted to try something different.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

GC100k - Nice job on the month!

SIAR - I'm surprised you still have feet left.  Take it easy on your recovery!

Mandy - Interested to hear what you think about the trekking poles.  I've never used them, but I feel they could be useful in some situations.

LB2 - Glad to hear running is fun again.  That's the way it should be.

Birdwell - Take it easy with the extensions.... you need to fully recover and you'll need that ability if other parts of your life start to heat up.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Madison...Keep us posted on the trekking poles? I'd like to hear how you get on with them. I haven't tried them myself, but am considering them if I decide to do Grindstone or Cloudsplitter.

You can just call me Mandy.    And I will keep everyone updated, but I'm not using them for running.  Sheesh, people.  Like I run anymore!  I'll be trying them for backpacking.

Running is dumb.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

With all the hiking you have done, how is it that you have never used poles???? And thanks for popping your head in - MANDY.  

You can just call me Mandy.    And I will keep everyone updated, but I'm not using them for running.  Sheesh, people.  Like I run anymore!  I'll be trying them for backpacking.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I ran with the group this morning.  3 people fell and Earl only cause one of them.    6 miles.

QOTD:  When I went to look at the running ahead training log to get my numbers it already shows runs posted on my August 18 calendar.   It's actually July's runs showing when I click on it.  Any who RA says I ran 116.7 this month.  50 on one day so kinda shabby.

Jaime:  43

Top FooT Pain:  Add me to the list.  Was thinking shoes were too tight.  Then the crazy mind says it's a stress fracture... but it goes away.

AT:  Is Bert-O Korean???  with a name like Bert?  Thought for sure he was polish!   and what's your excuse for running ahead of your wife? 

Sandy:  Love it!   I have a picture for you I need to post.

Warden:  Mike dogs always have that as our yard is full of pine trees.  I just cut the hair there.  Course Tiny E probably has super short hair.  Use the electric shaver.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Got it! And let's be honest, your backpacking pace and my movement at the point which I would consider using the poles are likely quite similar.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I loved having the poles for backpacking...don't think I would for running unless it was actually a course that you hiked a lot.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Saw this on the way to my run this morning.  Thought Sandy and Devan would get a kick out of it.  Maybe RockyII too...this person repaints the deer about every month based on holidays and seasons. For those who do not know Tevis is to horses what Western States is to runners.

Image may contain: one or more people, tree, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: tree, outdoor and nature

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I loved having the poles for backpacking...don't think I would for running unless it was actually a course that you hiked a lot.

NorthernHarrier is practically forcing them on me, telling me they're the greatest things ever.  So I hope I love them as much as you guys do!

Running is dumb.

dhuffman63

Trails

My dream back when I rode endurance was to one day do Tevis...I finally got an arab who would have been great but we moved to the middle of nowhere and I quit riding...never felt quite the same draw towards running it using my own feet...lol.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

NorthernHarrier is practically forcing them on me, telling me they're the greatest things ever.  So I hope I love them as much as you guys do!

I've found them somewhat helpful on climbs, but more useful in taking the weight off my knees on descents when hiking.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                                  06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Well you are a lot younger than me and NH...

GC100k

(trekking poles)

I've found them somewhat helpful on climbs, but more useful in taking the weight off my knees on descents when hiking.

I was listening to a Science Of Ultra episode, that I now realize I never finished, where they threw out an actual number on the grade at which trekking poles are helpful rather than a drag. Like you guys observed, they are helpful when it's steep but slow you down when it's flatter.

I kinda want to commit to never even trying them, but never say "never".