Trailer Trash

New to trail running (Read 279 times)

toyger

I've been lurking for a few days and thought I'd introduce myself. I see some familiar folks here. I'm Jen and am new to trail running. I blame my RWOL 2012 miles game team captain, Nathan, for getting me excited about trails. Smile  I recently moved to Richmond, VA, and while they don't have many trails where I live, there are a few single track, not-too-technical trails along the James River that I've enjoyed running over the the last year. And, there are plenty not too far from me.

I have my first official trail run coming up this weekend--Bear Creek 10 Miler in Cumberland, VA. According to the RD, it's a nice intro into trail running. It's an out and back with 95% trails and 5% dirt road. There are some short rolling hills and 5 creeks that we run through. They have 35k and 50k options in January, so I might aim for these in 2014 after I'm a little more seasoned.

Looking forward to getting to know and learning from folks here!

Jen

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Let the hazing begin!  (Just kidding, Jen!)  Glad to have you around these parts.  I'm excited to meet you this March at LBL!

Running is dumb.

toyger

Hehe...haze away!

Look forward to meeting you and others in March too!

Jen

jonferg67

Endless trails

Welcome, Jen.

I think the rule is (correct me if I'm wrong, folks) that if you announce a race you are then

obilgated to provide us all with a race report of said race. Good luck this weekend, 10

miles is a fun distance.

Wandering Wally

Welcome! Trail running is pretty awesome. As a group trail runners are pretty cool bunch.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

welcome and good luck w/ your race!  

you're probably stuck here for good- I rarely hear of folks going the way of trail running and state they miss running on roads/tracks/treadmills Big grin

2024 goal 2024 miles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

toyger

Thanks everyone!

jonferg67, I'll definitely post a short RR. I'm sure I'll have a lot of lessons learned. 

Jen

Thanks everyone!

jonferg67, I'll definitely post a short RR. I'm sure I'll have a lot of lessons learned. 

Short RR? More is better!

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I think we can think of some good (trail related) hazing activities...Big grin

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Uh oh... now what?

Thanks everyone!

But, things being what they are, memory will allow you to make

some mistakes again and again, each time seemingly a new

adventure.  As recently as last evening a couple of miles from

the car the resident short person said, "Do you have a light?"

I replied, "I don't smoke."

She replied, not so patiently, "I meant a flashlight."

A binomial type question... funny how math is everywhere. eh?

I thought for a while, carefully patted all my pockets,

and then said, "No, I do not.  Do you?"

We did the how long until sunset trick, decided too soon,

and turned back toward the car wishing the ravens had not

eaten the cookie crumbs we had used to mark the way

or that we had a flashlight--it is that time of year.

Three weeks until winter solstice.

rgot

toyger

majope, haha, I'm also planning to take lots of pics! So, it may be somewhat entertaining.

boyjame, hmmm, I wonder what those could be??

John, this is what attracts me to trails because every run is a different experience. BTW, what does "rgot' mean? Just curious...

Jen

BTW, what does "rgot' mean? Just curious...

So funny you mention this.  I've known John for quite a while, but I was wondering what this meant (even asked my husband about it just the other day).  Then it hit me: "Run gently out there."  (That's how he signs off his column in "Ultrarunning Magazine."

toyger

So funny you mention this.  I've known John for quite a while, but I was wondering what this meant (even asked my husband about it just the other day).  Then it hit me: "Run gently out there."  (That's how he signs off his column in "Ultrarunning Magazine."

Ah, that's a nice quote. But, wow, am I clueless. Had no idea I was talking to that John. I will just go and hide now. Smile

Jen

Uh oh... now what?

Because I play with words, as Betsy pointed out (thank you)  'rgot' stands

for (is an abbreviation) for "Run gently out there"--always good to know

someone is reading in the back of the magazine.

What 'rgot' means is still being discussed, both internally and with

companions on the journey and sometimes without me being there.

rgot

Uh oh... now what?

Ah, that's a nice quote. But, wow, am I clueless. Had no idea I was talking to that John. I will just go and hide now. Smile

Hide?  No..., actually, I am harmless.