Trailer Trash

Ticky Tuesday (Read 20 times)

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Mandy - Bert's wife is way cooler than he is.

I certainly can't argue with this. 

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

dhuffman63

Trails

Chowdah is a nice looking pup.  Hope he makes a great companion.

My epic fail weekend just never stop...got my first ever speeding ticket Sunday on the drive back, Monday was supposed to have bloodwork done, fasting, so I was really hungry, discovered the lab was closed even though I'd asked last week, and then today at work when I wanted to go to the fitness center at lunch we lost power over the whole little town.

I really liked seeing Sandy and Devan at the 7 mile AS.  It gave me a boost to keep trying but just a little while later the migraine just exploded.  I would have been happy curling up and dying.  My friend finished the first loop at 2 pm and I talked her into finishing the 2nd loop.  She did at 10 pm so it was a very long day.  Had to get up at 5 am to go pick up my drop bag.  Got on the road again around 730.  It was a 7 hour drive back and I had to detour cause of the flooding in Tulsa.

Now I need to figure out my strategy for Lhotse 24 hour.  I've never done a timed race so will probably spend the next month researching what all to bring and how to execute so I make my 50 mile goal.

Based on the last few technical trails and my inability to finish makes me think I need to stick to rail trail or timed events that don't have courses too difficult for me to navigate.  My brain keeps wanting to do epic things but my body is like "whoa there cowgirl" let's step back a bit. I love the trails and enjoy having people out there but perhaps hiking would be a better activity, one without cutoffs I would have trouble making.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Now I need to figure out my strategy for Lhotse 24 hour.  I've never done a timed race so will probably spend the next month researching what all to bring and how to execute so I make my 50 mile goal.

Based on the last few technical trails and my inability to finish makes me think I need to stick to rail trail or timed events that don't have courses too difficult for me to navigate.  My brain keeps wanting to do epic things but my body is like "whoa there cowgirl" let's step back a bit. I love the trails and enjoy having people out there but perhaps hiking would be a better activity, one without cutoffs I would have trouble making.

Search through the posts, especially the race reports, in the Running Against Time FB group.  Pay special attention to anything posted by Bob Hearn (bhearn on RA).  Here's a link to a Google.doc that has a bunch of links to race reports.  Most are by top level runners, but we can still learn a lot from them to apply at our level.

I've pretty much come to the same conclusion as far as race selection goes.  I look for less then 3000 ft of gain in a 50K and as non-technical a trail as possible. Then look for extremely generous cutoff times because there are longer race distances also offered.  That's why I chose Lean Horse 30M.  The rest of my races for the year are all fixed time, though I'm still looking at Black Canyon 60K next February (12 hour cutoff).

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Gator eye

Six in the flippin rain.

Rain, rain go away, come on back another day. We’re so blimpin cold and wet, hopefully spring show up soon.

QOTD: ticks hell I’m still running in my underarmor, gloves and skull cap.

On a sour note my basement flooded and gave most of my running clothes a good soakin.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

8.5 very technical miles with a lot of elevation. This is the first time that I’ve runnthe most technical and steepest trails in my area in a long time. I’m sure I trashed my legs again, but so be it. It was just too much fun out there to not do it.

Im watching the weather as we might get some serious hail in the next few hours. I covered my cars windshield, so I’m sure it’s not going to be nearly as bad as last tome when I had not covered it and the hail left a lot of tiny craters in the windshield.

Edit: Oops, just saw we have a tornado watch and severe hail warning. 

Dhuff: what did you do to receive such bad karma?  You probably are building up a credit here. I hope it will be applied soon for you!

Berto: Absolutely badass, the dress with the boots! Love it!

Run for fun.

dhuffman63

Trails

Marie, lol.  I was out there trying to be all nice and friendly and enthusiastic...said good morning or howdy to everyone so I should have been good.  Maybe I'll go back to being a introverted bitch and things will get better.  

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Berto how come your outfit screams  Mid-West and the wife’s screams New York City!!! And do you guys every sing Green Acres on the porch 

all joking aside....yes she looks awesome.  I remember the last picture of her she had a sweater on thst I totally loved

+1 !!!

Mandy - Love the Simpsons!

Sue & FTYC - Yes, I have a lot more fish to catch to make it financially justifiable.  But this catch is priceless. 

Of course, I tried to tell DW to dress appropriately for fishing, but she obviously had her own idea. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Gatsby – to answer your question from yesterday, yes my DD is doing TRT 100.  She’s going to the doctor to get her knee checked out today or tomorrow.  Hopefully it’s just a minor thing. By the way you had a friend doing Possum?  You should have “introduced us”, how’d she do?

Sandy, the friend I mentioned who was doing Possum was actually with DHuff for part of the time -- she's a mutual friend of ours through the RWOL women's group.  She finished, her longest race to date!  Hope that your DD's knee mends quickly.

Nice trout Bert-o!  But I have to agree with Queen re Green Acres.... 

Awww, love the pic of Chowdah!  (And the Simpsons ref.!)

Kettlebells today, short run tomorrow.

QOTD: no critter encounters other than some close calls with skunks around the neighborhood.  Ticks don't seem to like me, haven't seen one in years but I know they're here.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

LB2

LB2 - I feel like everything has shifted by a month in terms of seasonal changes.  Sorry to hear about the horseflies.

QOTD:  Nothing yet (knock on wood), but I'm pretty paranoid of ticks.

Finally caught a decent fish near our cabin.  And we cooked this beauty of a brown trout for dinner the same day.  Can't get much fresher that this!   Oh yeah, the t-shirt was to support warden. 

I agree that things seem to have shifted a month behind. I sort of noticed something was strange with our turkey season this year. It was just weird, and not in a good way. That was the same case in the upper Mid-West. In NW Nebraska, last week, hens were still grouped up with gobblers pretty good from what my cousin reported to me. They were more interested in scouting for mule deer, but they were hunting turkeys. Anyway, that late in the season, it should either be all over with or just insanely good. It was just sort of like the mid-season doldrums. Most likely, the weird weather pushed nesting back or hens lost nests and had to start over.

That is a nice fish.

LB2