Trailer Trash

In Labrador it's Thursday already (Read 19 times)

NorthernHarrier

So I entered two events today (Wed), Loop Garou(20mi) in La. and Quachita switchbacks(25k) in Ok. after seeing that they were going on.  I've got a couple more to do on my list and then that's it. I'm way too old for this competing thing.

For Mandy and Mike--the Winds encapsulation-- the place is beautiful and majestic beyond anything I could put to words. I had originally planned to be in for about 12 days meandering about. I had incredible weather with clear skies, no smoke from the Ca. fires, and temps about 70F for 7 straight days. Saw a few elk and had a moose wander thru camp but not so good on the fishing.  This was my first trip with a Garmin inreach mini and I have to say it was great. I ran up a pretty good bill texting back and forth with DW  but being able to get weather reports for my exact location was really the icing. Checking that thing and seeing the forecast of the winter storm that was coming was awesome. When it first said I would be going from 70's to a high of 20F I laughed and thought it was a glitch but the next day it still said that along with heavy snow and winds to 70 mph. I started heading back towards the trailhead but still unsure until DW texted and said I had some real weather coming. The following day I put in a long ass day of hiking to get out, got a room in Pinedale, meal and brews at the Wind River brewery and watched this massive early storm roll in. Had to take a long way home as the roads south of the range were all closed. Ended up having to go north thru Jackson and Yellowstone into Montana and east from there. Mike, they still talk about you in Miles City.   The sad thing is though I don't know if this will be my last trip there. I'm not getting any younger and there are still so many places/things to do and the Beartooths are 4-5 hours closer for me. My next backpack will be in the Beartooths, redoing a perfect five day/four night trip I've done in the past.

As far as Thurs, I think it will just be weights, a little time rowing and then more mountain biking in the late afternoon.

QOTD--what's your next hoped for adventure?

A couple pretty tame things for Oct. DW and I will take our camper that we call the Taj and spend a few days in Mn. at Itasca state park which I've never been to and then towards the end of Oct. we'll take the Taj and cruise some of the U.P.'s coastline checking out lighthouses, etc.  Destin Florida in early Nov for ten days. I really recommend retirement for you guys. 

runtraildc

4 miles this morning, early, with Chowder. He was ecstatic to be woken up at 4:30 am and get the harness clipped on. He knows what that means. First dark run in a while. 'Meh' on the new headlamp, but I really got it for the evening dog walk. I'll tinker with the BD to get it working again.

Harrier- I spent a summer at UM's biological station in Itasca- beautiful park. Foliage should be at it's peak, too, right?

Qotd: Nothing even remotely planned. We are going to the beach this weekend, camping, but that is far from an adventure.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

4 miles yesterday with DW and Tiny E and then Thai food at a new restaurant (take out)- it was really good.

probably strength train after work- it's been a week and a half since I've set foot in there 

Al- yeah the Mini is a game changer, has come in so handy that I can't imagine going without it; also see below- if you want one more stab at the Winds- we're looking at the High Route for next year

qotd: short term, probably a couple of days in the Bob for early rifle season chasing wapiti (backpacking in); longer term- I think the Wind River High Route is calling my name, possibly a go at Rainier, Tom is talking about Patagonia- so many places, so little time Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

4 miles this morning. I took a URD yesterday because I had a change in schedule that interrupted my early morning run, and then, it started raining off and on all day. No big deal. I did see 5 deer this morning, a fawn and a doe that probably got separated between the doe crossing the gravel road and me running down it. That fawn is growing fast; I see them regularly. On the other end of the loop, I saw a doe with two fawns.

QOTD: I am looking forward to hitting the Pearl River WMA during deer season. Most of my hunting takes place in river/creek bottoms or upland pine timber; getting into that gigantic swamp is an adventure.

LB2

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Thanks for the report, Harrier!  Sounds damn fantastic and I'm so glad you got out before the serious weather hit.  Still waiting on pics...

I'm definitely going to be hitting you up for info on that Beartooths loop.  I need to start thinking about 2021.

Running is dumb.

Pain is my friend

9 mile trail run in the dark. Started at 4:30 am. Wish I had time to run in the light. The fall colors are amazing. No krashes.

QUTD- 24 hour loop race in 3 weeks in OK. Maybe a R2R2R in the grand canyon in Nov.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

XtremeTaper

5 slow ones last night on the hills of Coventry Woods. Pretty warm for late September, lower 80's but the heat was not the cause of my slowness. Oh well. Wogged about with the dogs this morning and plan a few miles up at the local trail in a bit. Off this afternoon and will hit the links.

QOTD: Not much on the horizon. Like to do a short trip in October, somewhere local. Maybe somewhere in NY. Buddy and I are tossing around Iceland again next summer. This time tour the north side. Our trip a few years ago was all on the south coast.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Gator eye

Slogged out another ten this morning. Heart was in it but the legs felt otherwise. 

qOtd: heading up to Marquette tomorrow for four day, some of that time will be spent on the north country trail and a few spur I wanted to get lost on last time I was there

Mike- nice trip and as always nice write up-

When I grow up I want to be like Mike. 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Nothing today. Will run tomorrow early.

Krash - have a goal in mind for your 24 hour?

QOTD: You guys and your grand adventures!!!! DW and I are getting away next weekend - no kids!!!!!

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Sandy-2

NH - that sounds like a great trip.  Do you have a link to a plot or map of the loop?  I probably won't hike it, but I do like to look at options.  My DW and DD have said that once I retire they want me to carry an inReach (looking at the mini), probably so they can keep track of me. Cool about the weather updates.  Also I'll keep an eye on the Loop Garou so we can have a meetup, if I remember the nearby Crawfish Barn was pretty interesting, and good.  I did the 5-looper there some years ago when it was called the Cajun Coyote.

I got up and did 10 mi this morning.  It was a bit cooler this morning, but quite humid (what else is new?).

qotd: Wow. it just might be the Loop Garou.  We were hoping to do a 12 hr adventure thing, but it's still in limbo.

tbd.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Extended warm up with strides, just enough to get loose and relax.

QOTD:  I prefer comfort over roughing it, so I'm trying to talk myself into committing to hiking one of the long distance trails like the West Highland Way in Scotland.  My biggest concern is hiking solo in a foreign country for a week or more.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

45 minutes easy run after work today.

Harrier, the Taj sounds like my kind of roughing it.  

WC, there are probably outfits that could help you organize a hiking trip in Scotland with more comfort and less roughing it.  And they speak English in Scotland (more or less) which would make it easier getting around than other foreign countries.

QOTD: not particularly adventurous, but we're hoping to go on a road trip to Oregon in mid-October.  Crater Lake, Rogue River.  There's 50k involved, too.  Received an update from the RD this week so it looks like it's still on.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

WC, there are probably outfits that could help you organize a hiking trip in Scotland with more comfort and less roughing it.  And they speak English in Scotland (more or less) which would make it easier getting around than other foreign countries.

Mac Adventures offers a lot of trips I'd be interested in and they arrange all the lodging, route, transporting luggage etc.. It's going solo for that length of time that's holding me back.  It's different from the NP trips I've taken solo, because I could always hook up with ranger led hikes there.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Pain is my friend

Yes I have a goal in mind. Bigger than ATY 141. 150+ sounds like fun.

Krash - have a goal in mind for your 24 hour?

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?