Trailer Trash

TheThursdailies (Read 42 times)

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

10 miles of faster running on the roads after work for me.

Qotd: my educational background is in evolutionary biology, so the barefoot running stuff is agreeable to me at that level.  My plan once the weather is consistently nice is to do about 4-6 miles per week barefoot.  I like the way it feels, and I consider it as form work.  I run roads in vibrams and it is working for me...I rarely think about my feet when I run, no blisters, no injuries.  I am wearing nb 1010s with a 4mm drop on trails.  I am impressed with the dedicated barefoot runners ability to do what they do, but shoes are a great invention.  I agree with lace up about the injury prevention stuff...it's not the footwear it's the approach (within reason).  On the spectrum of footwear/barefoot choices I think that both ends are over the top, with a sweet spot in the middle of reasonable shoes that work for most

**Ask me about streaking**

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

About to head out for a short slog. My cold has rev'd up and is prohibiting more intense runs. I better let it heal, so I'll be fit for the Tussey Teaser in 10 days from now.

boyjame: Thanks for the reminder! I think I finally have to commit - maybe this will motivate me to train better.

TT: Nice run, as always. You and your dog are very inspiring to a normal mortal like me!

LB2: New shoes are always great! When I tried more minimalist shoes than my usual trail shoes, I was surprised at the difference and totally appreciated the "new" feel. There's room, or better, there still are trails for my "old" shoes, though.

Harrier: Enjoy your weekend trip north!

AT: Hope your shoes will dry quickly!

Cocktails: Good miles! When I have a "tight" muscle, I find that stretching often helps a lot, especially after a run, or in the evening.

warden: Best luck to you - the desert certainly is the most kind place! Big grin

Jamie: Nice running. Glad to see you are getting better, even if it takes its time!

lace: Sounds like a great trail. Hope there's no frozen water on this one! Black eye

Birdwell: Great morning workout!

tmo: Did you get the endorphine rush? If so, you were fast!

bur: Hope you'll get your quick miles in. How about running to the shop?

John: That's the great thing about gyms and machines, that you can see how many extra muffins you've earned!

O2: Training for Badwater, or the Atacama desert crossing?

QOTD: It's probably a good thing for most runners to try and see how they like the different feel, and how the different posture/form affects their stride and speed. I have a pair of more minimalist shoes, and I love to feel the difference when I run in them, especially on technical, rocky trails. Being closer to the ground makes navigating these difficulties much easier. However, for long distances, I still prefer my nicely cushioned shoes.

Run for fun.

Uh oh... now what?

lace - If my math head is working, that's like a 17.5% grade - wow nice hill run!

It's 17.68%, that changes it from a "nice" hill run to a *&%¿%$¡¢ hill run?

The coming back down would be ... [insert something here].

Wowziz... lace_up, wear a headcam thingie for us.

XtremeTaper

Two days off now for the rolled ankle. Feels pretty good now but not perfect. THink I can run on it though. Will do a short run/hike with the beasts tonight to experiment. Glad this is a cutback week.

QOTD: No, I have not participated in any of the bare buns runs they hold around here.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Occasional Runner

It's 17.68%, that changes it from a "nice" hill run to a *&%¿%$¡¢ hill run?

The coming back down would be ... [insert something here].

Wowziz... lace_up, wear a headcam thingie for us.

That sounds about right. I can only run certain sections, especially right now with 5 feet of packed snow on it. The run down is pretty awesome though. I took a few pictures this morning. I'll try topmost one or two.

DigDug2

6 on the TM at lunch, with 20 minutes at tempo pace (my weekly tempo run).

QOTD:  I've found neutral, cushioning, not heavy shoes that I like and I haven't had a running injury in many years.  No interest in barefoot running - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Occasional Runner

View from the top of the peak. I didn't get any good shots coming up. This is directly behind our house.

Watoni

Been away for a while (work/family).

Probably an unscheduled rest day due to this cold. If I could finally take a sick day at work that would be great.

QOTD: Tough question. I am looking for shoes that work rather than anything "natural." Shoes with lots of drop don't work well for me. I would love a low drop shoe with more cushioning, but Hokas did not work for me (twisted ankle fast). I run barefoot on the beach, ran my first trail half in Vibrams, have tried various shoes, like in Imelda Marcos territory. I have run two 50ks in Vertical Ks, which are a 4mm drop sub 7-ounce shoe. I am testing the new PI E-Motion Trail N1s, they have been good so far (two 13-mile training runs). The PIs seems to have more cushioning but are still low to the ground. Hopefully these will work for my first 50!

The tree that was completely blocking a trail yesterday has already been cut up and pushed aside! I am impressed. It helps that there is a crew out building new trails these days, but still. I need to make some more time to get out for their volunteer days.

I decided today to trick myself into doing a good cool down after running hill repeats by picking a hill 2 miles from the car. Took the long route there, got in nine 3 min bounding uphill intervals before landing on a pointy rock and calling it a day. Total ~ 8.5 miles. The bounding was kind of fun once I got the hang of it. Definitely felt like a strength workout.

qotd: On trails I find I can run comfortably in most shoes regardless of drop as long as they feel stable. But if it is rocky or I am going more than 8 miles or so, I really want some cushion. I like my Peregrines best (4mm drop) most of the time, but for >18 miles I tend to go for the Masochists (10mm drop, feels more cushy). My first priority is happy feet, after that I feel that running with different drops is probably a good for me. Keeps the feet guessing. For roads I haven't really figured it out yet, nothing feels comfortable (other than barefoot, but as I cant go more than about a mile and I only one barefoot speed - very slow, that isn't practical).

Pinhoti 100: Finished :D

dpc3

All you shod runners don't know what you are talking about!

Occasional Runner

All you shod runners don't know what you are talking about!

The return of the Dirty Sanchez! Always filled with inspiration and here to help wayward assholes.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

I walked my dogs 2 miles at lunch , beautiful day here

QOTD :  @10-12 years ago the natural thing became the rage with horses , natural trims,  barefoot horses etc...I though it was funny when it started with runners pretty much the same ideas .  I just switched from the Hokas to the Saucony Xodus 3 ( 4 mm drop ) which feels like the Hokas cushion wise but much more stable feeling and super on technical trails . My horses wear shoes too .

dpc3

The return of the Dirty Sanchez! Always filled with inspiration and here to help wayward assholes.

You know you love the word "SHOD" Lace!

If I was smart I'd change my picture when Mr. Sanchez makes an appearance!

QOTD: I ran in VFFs for a year or so and enjoyed the feeling, but found that they limited my mileage and pace and beat up my feet on the local terrain no matter how lightly I tread.  I really don't buy most of the talk of how you will have fewer or no injuries because of going BF.  I now run in Cascadias.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Sandy-2

Yet another SRD.

qotd: I run in road shoes so obviously I don't have a clue.

tbd.