Trailer Trash

Magnificent Monday (Read 22 times)

runtraildc

Power of suggestion, right? We might get some rain today, so that woudld be quite magnificent. Rest day for me today. Chowder and I will hike in the woods later. He's hit a crazy wild stage in puppydom. Maybe some memory loss, too, since he cannot understand  a single command. For example, 'sit'.  

Oh, running.  Ran 20 yesterday into DC and felt pretty good. Weather was quite accommodating, which helped a lot.

Jamie-- I'll be at the Quince Orchard AS again this year (17 miles or so).

qotd: See anything on a run recently that made you particularly happy?  Mine's small, but there's a house at the end of one of the streets to my winter trails. Went by last week and they've torn up their grass yard and have planted a small forest. All of these houses have large expanses of grass to mow, so someone taking it in the opposite direction made me happy (as a gardener AND a nature lover).

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

elk 1 mtwarden 0

had a nice trip into the Bob, but after putting in some big mile days over crazy tough terrain, we never spotted a single elk; the area looked prime for elk and while there was older sign of them being in this area, nothing recent

I don't think it's hunting pressure as 90%+ of the hunters heading in this way are on stock and tend to go in farther, this country we hunted you couldn't get stock into either

there are some high basins on the backside of the mountain we hunted that we didn't get into, may try that at the end of the week????

qotd: we did see several mule deer does with fawns (several with twins), mule deer numbers haven't been stellar of late so nice to see they may be making a bounce back

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Looks like I'm AT-walker now.  Run on Saturday wasn't great. Sore with landing, but no pain at all walking, so I just walked and enjoyed the scenery.  Not going to be able to run with Sandy tomorrow, and that sucks.  New plan is to walk all week and give it another go on Saturday. Never had a high ankle sprain before, so this is new to me. I've dealt with the typical ankle sprains often, and that's just tape it and go.

QOTD:  Just the colors. Some pretty spectacular reds coming out now.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

dhuffman63

Trails

LOL AT....welcome to the walker club!  It's full of seeing wonderful sights and just having fun while spending hours and hours on the trail. 

It was 47 degrees here this morning...ugh...not ready for winter yet, haven't put on my winter weight yet.  And my allergies are going haywire with the ragweed.

Did a 5k at the Tulsa Zoo Saturday with the family (DH, DD, SIL, DGD)...we had a nice time and DH and I spent several hours walking around the zoo.  It did rain a little and then Sunday it stormed all day.   High's in the 70's with Fri night low of 36!

MT your pics are crazy with snow already.  Could the elk have left due to fires? Looks like maybe from the year before?

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

^ typically burned off areas are good elk habitat- lots of grass and browse comes up in the burns- they’ve definitely used this area, but not recently it appeared

my buddy killed a big bull in this area last year, so not sure what’s up this year

speaking of weather- we’re getting another storm rolling through tomorrow through Thursday- snow with highs in the low 30’s, lows in the teens- that’s pretty chilly for early October!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

No run yet today.  Maybe something tonight.  Lots of grading to do so who knows.

DC: 20 and you feel good.  That is a great sign for your upcoming marathon.  My longest run heading into my first marathon back in 2008 was 19 miles.  And it did not feel good.

AT: sorry but at least it's not hurting while walking.

QOTD: Very simple but passed a deer about 10 ft off the trail Saturday as she was eating away at something.  She heard me, looked, and just stayed put.

Have a great Monday!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

Warden: That looks like fun. I have committed to planning an elk trip to Colorado next October. It gives me something to look forward to for the next year. I love planning trips and then executing the plan.

Ran 2.5 this morning. I think the legs have come back; I have been running sluggishly recently. I think I may have just been a little run down from work, lack of sleep, and a decent bit of fast running. I rested pretty good this weekend and feel like a new person.

QOTD: I have been seeing quite a number of young turkeys and a whole lot of deer. I'll get to start slinging lead on October 26th because the state enacted a special "Honorably Discharged Veteran's Hunt" that coincides with the youth hunt. These deer better look out between 10/26 and 11/1.

LB2

Sandy-2

On the train to DC (in Philly) at the moment.  I plan to run when I get to the hotel later.  Might be an early evening run.

AT - as mentioned in my pm, sorry about your ankle not cooperating, but it is good it's improving.  Next time,

mt - sorry about not finding any elk, but the views still look pretty cool.

qotd: yesterday I did a run very similar to the one I did with Bert-o a while back, except in the opposite direction.  Out on the Manhattan Br and back on the Brooklyn Br. I posted a map yesterday.  I was thinking about Bert-o while gazing at the NYC skyline and hoping that he's doing well.

tbd.

XtremeTaper

Not a whole lot to report here on the running front. We did have a gorgeous fall day on Saturday and I took the dogs out to French Creek where I met Angus and Rebel and we had a nice but slow run/hike of 5-6 miles on the 6 penny and lenape trails. Pretty quiet on the 6 penny trail but the other trail was packed with day hikers (it connects the lake and campground) and it was quite the scene with all the dogs. The Lady was a crackup. She would stop at each group and wait to be petted. One couple did not pet here and she just kept standing there waiting. A few times she even walked back to groups to get more pets. Pretty funny. Baker was being sort of a pain. He is a bit of a maniac/puller on woodsy trail runs.

Not too much yesterday. Just a few rainy miles in the neighborhood.

We did get a lot done in the yard this weekend. We are getting ready to redo a section in the back 40 and this weekend cleared out all the weeds and some older perennials that had taken over. We planted a unique pine tree that we picked up over the summer (it's about 8 feet right now, will grow to 25-30') in the cleaned up bed and a few mums for some late fall color. Next step is to move and replant some large hastas that are too close to the treeline into this bed. That will be next weekend's task.

Oh, we had a big scene in our quiet little cul-de-sac last night. I woke up from a nap about 7pm and the wife told me there were cop cars out front looking at a parked car on our street. I noticed the car earlier in the morning and figured the neighbors across the street had overnight company. Not too many people park cars regularly on our street. Of course I was nosy and took the dogs out for a walk so I could get the scoop. The policeman told me that the car had been stolen the day before and dumped in our neighborhood. Sort of strange and perplexing how our little cul-de-sac was chosen as a dumping ground by the car thieves?! The car was missing it's plates and had a damaged window so I guess I should look closer at parked cars from now on.

QOTD: Watching the Lady interact with hikers puts a smile on my face. It's like she is an official park greeter. Pet and admire me please or I am not budging. She is so calm and gentle. The polar opposite of Baker right now. Baker is friendly but not calm and too excitable still.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

dhuffman63

Trails

I love when I see dogs on the trail...or anywhere really...ask if I can pet first then go to town rubbing ears and scritches.

Gator eye

Took a rest day, ran 11 on Sunday

Dr Jamie, no race reports all I have is a so called smart phone tto tap things out on and I’m just plain lazy.

but my 24 hour race lasted me 22.5 hours which put me at 83 miles. Good enough for 3rd place

Gatsby, Mr Jangles is a Chesapeake bay retriever.  Very loyal dog, but when he gets something in his mind he is very headstrong about it.

Sandy-2

I’m back, did a quick 5 mi out-n-back on the C&O trail. It was getting dark when I started and very dark on the way back.  But it was ok since I could see the contrast between the blacktop ‘trail’ and the dirt/grass/trees on the sides.

Now I’m in the hotel bar having an IPA, a burger and watching NFL and MLB on side-by-side TVs.

tbd.

Ultra Cowboy

Spent Sunday and Monday out and about with a bow in my hand and a couple of tags in my pocket.  No action , but I got to bring ML to see a beautiful piece of private land along the middle fork of the Eel River.

These deer were in no danger from us.  Fawns looked big and healthy.

WYBMADIITY

Save