Trailer Trash

Stormy Tuesdailies (Read 20 times)

dhuffman63

Trails

It's supposed to be nasty here today...flash flood watch, severe t-storm warning, possible very large hail.  My biggest concern is will the horses get out of the hail if we have any.

I'm trying to get in at least 10k steps a day so I'm shooting for at least 2 miles at work and then I'll do 3 at home since 10k steps for me is 5 miles.  Today will be hard as I have a hearing aid appt at 3 and then a hair cut at 5.

qotd: what do you do for severe weather, possible tornados?  We don't have a shelter and I really want one.  So I hunker down in the bathroom with the dogs and whatever cats I can get to join us.

XtremeTaper

The Lady and got in 6 miles last night on the hills of Coventry Woods. Nice evening for a run, cloudy and cool, but spring like with the woods turning all green again. Met a few nice folks out for a hike, some with dogs, some without. The Lady of course stopped to be social (get petted).

Plan to sneak in a run at lunchtime today I think. Yard work beckons me this evening after work.

QOTD: We don't get much tornado activity here, mostly strong t-storms with gusty straight line winds. We do get the occasional warning. We have a basement but I always wondered about the house collapsing on your head? Well, it's a walk out basement I believe. I've never hunkered down there, but it is an option.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

hit the trails with Tiny Elvis yesterday afternoon, mid 30’s with a very light snow- have to admit it was pretty Smile

planning on a 4-5 miles after work

qotd: no tornadoes here, but plenty of severe weather (even an occasional earthquake!); I keep 6 cases of bottled water on hand, several cases of bars in the pantry (just rotate everything) and plenty of warm clothing/gear if the heat was to go out- I think we could eek out a week relatively easy if need be (but hope we never have to)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

runtraildc

5 miles with the running friend. slow and easy with one big hill at the end. Now heading to the gym for the workout I skipped yesterday.

qotd: We have a basement, but there's been one tornado in the twenty years we've lived here. It's similar to XT-- the straight line winds and subsequent power outages.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

It was a SRD but after I woke up it would have been a nice run day...foggy.  Just to keep bragging reporting about my impressive long run Sunday, my last 6 miles average 10:33  that's pretty good.

QOTD:  Well when the winds blow we sleep in the basement, because that is where our bedroom is.  I live in CA we do not have severe weather; only fires and earthquakes of which you can not prepare.  They say to have a go bag.  We do not.  If a storm is coming than good chance of electiricity going out because of trees going down; I make sure I have plenty of wine.

XT:   My Jack is a greeter.  He has to go up to every person we pass. Earl could care less about humans but he does want a quick butt smell as dogs pass.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

NorthernHarrier

7 miles in the Arb this morning with some modest speedwork. Happy to have got it in as we will be getting more rain shortly. Now I'll try to mow a little grass if it can just hold off a wee bit longer. This month has been kind of crappy so here's hoping May will make up for it. 

QOTD--We get tornadoes around here. I take the watches and warnings ultra seriously. Head down to the basement whenever it's needed where there is a fridge full of cold ale. (survival rations) 

Sandy-2

I'll run after work again today.  I was up half the night with my legs going crazy (my legs get very restless sometimes, but I don't think I have the full blown syndrome).  I almost got up and did some stretching, foam rolling and marathon stick rolling last night.  Anyway with all that going on I didn't sleet to well and hit the snooze button this morning.... so no early run.

Going crazy at work today since it's my last day in the office for 2.5 weeks. I'm preparing for my excursion to PA, NJ, Mumbai and London (quite the list of hot spots......  right?).  I packed last night, it's tough because of the temp differences plus planning for family stuff, work stuff and running stuff.  But I'll get back with a week to spare before the Possum's Revenge!!!

qotd: We do get the occasional tornado warning, but fortunately never had one get too close.  We get hurricanes though.  We live on high ground and far enough from the water that we've never had to evacuate.  If we ever do hear that freight-train sound of a tornado nearby we have a bathroom and closet underneath the stairs that we'll jump into if needed.  We also keep some food and water supplies stocked up during hurricane season (June - November).

tbd.

dhuffman63

Trails

Sandy I'm looking forward to meeting you at PR.  I'm on the small side so taller people might hide me....  My friend is coming too and we're staying at the Hide-Away Cabins but in the hotel part.  I plan on driving down Friday as it's at least a 6 hour drive for me.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Crazy Legs Sandy?!?  This I have to see. 

dhuffman - Hope you don't get those hail storms.  Glad you're taking care of the horses.

FTYC:  (from yesterday), thanks.  And yikes on the frost this time of year, but I suspect it's a late spring for most of us.

QOTD:  Like others in the NE, no real storms of the epic proportions here.

No running today as my boys down under are still recovering.  No Vaseline treatment today, so maybe a run tomorrow.  However, I did splurge a bit and bought fly fishing gear, so instead of trail running this weekend, maybe I will catch a couple trout.  Of course it could wind up in a comedy of errors, but we'll see. 

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

LB2

If someone would have asked me if I responded to this today, I would have bet everything I had that I did it first thing this morning. I guess I looked at it and got sidetracked with work. Anyway, I ran a normal loop this morning of 2.5 miles. It didn't feel great but the watch indicated that it was faster than it felt. I guess that is good. Humidity is back. It was pretty thick this morning.

QOTD: We have a plan, but no one that I know has a storm shelter like I have seen in Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. We certainly have tornadoes here from time to time, and we have a plan. Luckily, we have never had to implement the plan. However, when I was a kid, we had a tornado come across our field. It was dark and rain wrapped, but it did significant damage to some trees and some to the barn.

Our biggest issue, like Sandy, is hurricanes, which often spin of tornadoes in the NW quadrant. I have been in every quadrant of a hurricane over the years, but the light side of Hurricane Katrina was damn near as bad a thing as I have ever seen. I can't imagine what it must have been like close to the center around Biloxi, MS. We are quite a ways from the coast, but that thing was still hitting hard when it got to us.

LB2

dhuffman63

Trails

LB my parents are in Ocean Springs and it was pretty bad even as far inland as they are.  I visited shortly after and it was awful to see all those huge trees along the coast just gone.  They've recovered well.  Growing up in FL we saw Cat 2 or 3's but never anything like what we are seeing now.  Unless you are unfortunate and can't get out I'd rather a hurricane than a tornado.  They drop down where ever they want and with very little warning.  I was supposed to go shopping with DD when the tornado tore through Joplin, we'd have been in the middle of that nightmare.  One day I was thankful for the migraines.

Sandy-2

Hi Marie (from yesterday):  Thursday morning I'm planning my usual easy Tussey route as shown below.  In other words I'm staying on the double tracks and off of your really rocky trails, I had enough of that 2 weeks ago.  I'm going to start/finish at the Galbraith parking lot past the ski area and do a counter clock-wise loop as shown in green. Not really sure how far it is, maybe 10?

As you know there are shortcuts and always out-n-back opportunities.  By the way I'll be going slow and walking most of the uphills.

I just don't know the starting time yet.  But probably at about 7am, but let me know.

An overview using the MountainBack map.

Zoom in of the loop.

tbd.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Beautiful day here.  Just got done having a staff meeting outside in the brilliant sunshine.  

QOTD: I imagine we would go to our basement in the event of a really bad storm.  But haven't seen one bad enough yet to do so.  And I don't want to.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

A little cloudy but warm during my 7.3 miles.

qotd:  Grew up in Illinois and my grandparents lived in Tornado Alley, but I never was in or even saw one.  We've had a few tornado watches since I move to this area, even reports of one touching down a few miles north of me many years ago.  My only recourse now inthe case of a tornado warning would be to huddle in the bathroom as that is the only interior room in my apartment.  My grandparents had photos from the 1925 tornado that swept through MO, IL, and IN (including the town where they lived) killing 695. It was an F5 and many regard it as the worst tornado in US history.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.