Trailer Trash

Whacky Wednesday (Read 21 times)

moonlightrunner

No run again today, but one planned for tomorrow. I just have to figure out how to pad the top of my feet...and...I am not sure the sandals were overstressed. I might have to replace them. Either my feet are still swollen and sensitive or the fit has altered due to all that fun.

Qotd: Facebook has led me to running friends I would have never met...mostly I met them on race websites or a trail runner group I belong to. But I don't follow the bulshit too closely...and there is a lot of it.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Resting, waiting for my toe to heal up. I've decided to paint more rooms in my house instead, to make it look brighter and not so drab and dirty.

Now after dripping ceiling paint all over the carpet by spilling the container (thanks to Scotchguard, it was an easy  reasonable, but at least feasible cleanup), I am working hard to not put myself down (nobody around to respond with compliments, though   ), but I'm over that hump and just continue on. I'm stubborn resilient. 

QOTD: I agree with LB and Mandy - too little knowledge ("everything" can be googled, and this seems to suffice) to be able to put statements into context, and too many people fishing for compliments in a very passive aggressive way. For running, I resent people spreading word about wonderful, lonely "secret" trails, thus inviting runners, many of them oblivious of any trail etiquette, by the hundreds to spoil these locations. Luckily in my area, these invaders are usually one-timers, as the terrain is difficult, and many locations are really remote (not easily accessible by car).

AT, Queen: The trail - at least in this section - looks pretty difficult: No rocks, no roots, how the heck are you going to find something to trip over?

Run for fun.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

They will trip because they are too busy staring at the beautiful Mt Hood in the background.  

AT, Queen: The trail - at least in this section - looks pretty difficult: No rocks, no roots, how the heck are you going to find something to trip over?

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Bert-o

I lost my rama

XT - Nice tempo run!  And enjoy your new irons.  I gave up golf many years ago since I was trowing the clubs farther than hitting the ball.

AT - Fingers crossed that the Lyme day is today only and you'll be fine on race day.  It'll be a beautiful race if weather is good.

Mandy - I've taught many people how to rock climb.  I tell them if they can climb a ladder, then they can climb a rock.  If that doesn't work, then I'll teach them to belay and that means more climbing for me.   Honestly though I hope your friend does get into it.  It's great motivation to be in shape and build her confidence too.

warden - Wow, that's a huge weather swing.  You were sporting snow shoes just last week!  Enjoy the sweaty weather, I guess??

dhuffman - I didn't realize that Lhotse 24 was on a track.  I think it would be a ton of fun to do a 24 hour race on a track, but definitely need to be careful about over-use injury.  Hope your back feels better soon.

LB2 - Pretty tough to watch the movie after reading the book.  But it's been so long I think I forgot it all anyway.  Hope you get better weather soon.

Dr J - I think it would be great to get the kids climbing.  Height is not really relevant, but finding the right instructor is very important - for both safety and building confidence on easier climbs first.  When I lived in Southeast PA, I would climb at a place called Chickies Rock along the Susquehanna River.  Technically, it's a very easy rock to climb, but is very high for the area.  It's been many years, so I'm not sure what the condition of the rock is these days....

runtrail -  Glad you're feeling better!  Now get out and run. 

Sue - You're an asshole?  I find that hard to believe.

moonlight - Sounds like you need a bit of time to recover.  Hope things get back to normal soon.

FTYC - Hope that toe gets better soon.  And I admire your stubbornness, I mean resiliency!

Got almost 6 miles on trail yesterday evening.  Thunderstorms are in the forecast this evening, so probably no run unless I have an uncontrollable urge for a Come-to-Jesus moment.  We'll see.

QOTD:  For running, I don't venture beyond RA.  I'm minimally on FB but I joined the Running Against Time group so I'll peep in there every now and then.  I like Reddit for things like fishing and talk to other nut-cases like myself, but that's about it.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

dhuffman63

Trails

Oh no Bert it's a 1 mile asphalt path through a park.  The one they do in March is on a track though. Not sure how I'll like it but the adventure is in trying something new. 

NorthernHarrier

Intervals in the Arb this morning on a muddy/greasy stretch of trail. We have just had a hatch of those tiny aggressive mosquitoes. That's just so nice.   About to load 3 springers into a Subaru Crosstrek that's already loaded with gear/food/and a canoe on top and head north for the next week.

Mandy:  I get tired of people putting themselves down.  I always feel like they are digging for a compliment and the asshole that I am refuses to give it to them on command.  

I'm with you Queenie. I refuse to enable, patronize or even hang out with people who need that. No time for high maintenance people. I'll probably die a lonely old curmudgeon. 

QOTD-- Well, I don't do social media except this place if that counts so I really have no opinion on the effects on running. In general though social media has given a voice to a lot of morons and a lot of insecure people who post mundane stuff needing a constant validation. (just reinforcing the old curmudgeon thing) I'll try to work on playing nice the rest of the day.

moonlightrunner

Quick question...I put on 6 pounds overnight last night...I assume it is water....so...do I drink more water to flush it out? Or less water? My feet are kinda puffy still. Not sure what is normal after a 17 hour adventure on my feet

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I like that too only I would like to add ....what are your plans to overcome this?

Have you tried responding to those comments by 'I'm sorry to hear that' or 'That's too bad'?

For example:

Them: I'm so fat/skinny/ugly/short/tall/slow/ fast or whatever

You: Oh, that's too bad. I'm sorry to hear that.

Might help break that bad habit, on their part 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Oh no Bert it's a 1 mile asphalt path through a park.  The one they do in March is on a track though. Not sure how I'll like it but the adventure is in trying something new. 

Ah, gotcha.  I found the info online now.  Looks like a nice paved loop course.  I did a 6-hour race on a paved loop course last year.  I liked the format because I was able to setup my own aid station.  And by all means, yes, try something new!!!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Thanks.... you know I am a retired old lady, nit hip like you youngsters!   Just a joke not looking for compliments.

Sue, FOMO is Fear Of Missing Out.  When you see people post lots of beautiful trail and you want to go do them but then you find you've spent 100k on races and equipment plus travel

IG is Instagram

I like the "I'm sorry to hear that"

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Couch if you look closely, this trail is loaded with dangerous peebles!

Here is a picture from the course that Sue, Jess and I are running next week. Mt. Hood looks beautiful.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Quick question...I put on 6 pounds overnight last night...I assume it is water....so...do I drink more water to flush it out? Or less water? My feet are kinda puffy still. Not sure what is normal after a 17 hour adventure on my feet

More water flushes out water weight.  I know it doesn't make any sense!

Running is dumb.

moonlightrunner

Thank you! I hate drinking water...but I shall do so

More water flushes out water weight.  I know it doesn't make any sense!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

In general though social media has given a voice to a lot of morons and a lot of insecure people who post mundane stuff needing a constant validation. (just reinforcing the old curmudgeon thing)

Guess I'm a curmudgeon then too, because this is part of what I hate about social media.

Also what FTYC said.  I'm happy that more people are getting outside, but too many don't know trail etiquette or LNT principles.

Running is dumb.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Queen, I saw the little pebbles, but are they big enough to make you trip? On the other hand, I figure on a downhill, they might make for a nice slide. 

moonlight: It is normal to swell up, especially your legs and feet, but the swelling should not be so much that pressing your finger into your leg leaves a dent behind. I would eat normally, or whenever you are hungry, normal "healthy" diet, and drink when you are thirsty, just as much as your thirst is telling you.

If the weight does not go down to its pre-race number and you feel puffy, it might be a kidney or heart issue, and I guess you'd feel really tired, weak and exhausted with that, more than just the normal exhaustion after a long run.

Run for fun.