Trailer Trash

Which sunscreen lotion? (Read 17 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Pretty much any does the job, I know, but a few days ago, I put my usual "sports" sun lotion on my face. I have done this before, but this time, the sweat on my face made the sunscreen lotion run into my eyes, and the stinging and burning absolutely ruined my run. Even after showering, it was still burning and my eyes were tearing up.

So now I use my kids' sunscreen, "tear free, sting free", and so far, my eyes have been fine. I don't remember if in previous years I used this lotion, or if my eyes are just more sensitive now. However, this lotion is almost gone now, and when I checked in the store, the new kid's lotion of the same brand does not say "tear free, sting free" any more. Would you think it is still tear free/sting free now? It's the Banana Boat Kid's SPF 50 lotion in a tube.

Which sunscreen lotion do you use on your face, and have you ever experienced this burning and stinging in your eyes?

Run for fun.

AT-runner

Tim

I use Coppertone Sport SPF 30. It's a spray and I can use it on my face without any problems. It doesn't come off when you sweat, so I like it for running.  I usually spray it into my hands and rub on my face so I don't get it in my eyes or nose.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

I use Coppertone Sport lotion on my face (and other parts). Since I always wear a hat and sunglasses, I don’t put lotion anywhere above my eyes. So, no problems with it running into my eyes, but I suspect it would sting if it did.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I also use Coppertone Sport, but only when I go to the beach.  Running, it's au natural, since I try to run in the mornings or evenings when the sun isn't (too) intense.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Daydreamer1

For years I've used Coppertone Sport lotion, both on face and arms.  Never really had any major problems with burning that I remember.

I've been noticing that the skin on my arms has been getting darker and thinner over the past several years. It's in part due to sun damage I'm sure. I decided to try something new so I got this stuff.  Goes on just like Desitin does for diaper rash .  Thick and white.  Doesn't absorb into the skin well at all. Bump into something and that will get  white as well. Learned to never wear it in a vehicle.  Can't wash it off. Gotta wipe it off with a paper towel then use plenty of soap to get it off.  It does seem to work though and I can tell that my arms are cooler in direct sunlight with it on.  Put it on my face once or twice.  Don't do that anymore.

The one big downside is that no one in my family wants to be seen in public with me when I'm wearing it .

Badger Sport Sunscreen - Water Resistant SPF 35

Stuff is way too expensive.  Thought about just trying to use Desitin . They're both just Zinc Oxide

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Thanks guys. I think I remember that in previous years I used the Coppertone Sport.

DD1: the Desitin should work, too.

When I was a kid, we used “zinc paste” (actually zinc oxide paste)as a cheap sunscreen, especially on the lips, while skiing. It was almost a fashion statement to sport white or pink lips on the slope. That was before chapstick, or its European equivalent. It is pretty much the same as the Desitine.

The Badger zinc and titanium oxide sun lotion might be more sophisticated and standardized in terms of SPF and convenience.

In Austria and Germany, most sunscreens are titanium or zinc oxide based. They don’t like “chemical” sunscreens and are more into what I call Sun repellents. My sister and I used to joke that they all look like maggots at the pool or beach. 

Run for fun.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I found some really good sunscreen a couple of years ago- Netrogena dry touch SPF 100- yup 100; in the mountains at altitude very easy to burn- this stuff I can get away often just applying once, not sure on the tear free thing- I've never noticed any stinging, but I don't put it around my eyes either (nose/cheeks/neck- I wear a ball cap so nothing on my forehead)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

For running I use whatever SPF 30 that comes in a spray that is on sale. Most times it's similar AT's photo.

By the way, here's a cool video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9BqrSAHbTc

tbd.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Sandy, interesting, especially seeing what sunscreen looks like to the sun. Too funny, but such a camera would be helpful for determining if you have applied sun lotion everywhere you want it. Or for finding out if you need to reapply. They should have one in the changing rooms at the pool. Just some business idea 

Run for fun.