Trailer Trash

Beautiful Sky Thursdalies (Read 18 times)

runtraildc

Hi all, I got up early (4:45 am), dressed in my running stuff, drove the kiddo to the pool for practice and where I was going to meet my friend and her dog for a run.... And the pool manager apparently slept in and the kids were locked out. After 15 min, the coaches told them to go home and that was the end of my morning run. I came home, read the paper, drank some coffee then went back to bed. For 2 hours!! Completely abnormal for me so I've decided to take another day off. DH had a cold last week and I'm concerned that I'm fighting off a bug.

qotd: Never done one, but considering one in March. It's a 5 mile trail loop in southern MD, along the Bay. It's a pretty park and an easy trail. We'll see.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

day off for me - sort of. ebike to work in all my rain gear.

QOTD: I like timed races but it depends on the loop. the one I love near my home is carkeek/cottontail in seattle. it's a 2-mile loop but it is the nicest forested soft trails anywhere and I just cant get enough. it's also fun because I know every turn, every line, every bump, stair and root on the course. and it's a small event. there is another one near me I have run a few times = the self transcendence 7-hour. such a well run event and super nice people running it but the one thing I don't like about it is there is an out and back section where I feel a little obliged to say good job or hi to everyone which can take me out of my zone. plus it's too flat.

treadmills = don't like 'em. the belts are too narrow and my big feet like to step on the sides a lot and trips me up so I cant zone out. just like everything else = geared towards the average.

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Mandy - if you feel ok on the TM, who cares what we think!!!! I left Planet Fitness end of 2018 and our fam joined the local YMCA.  They have TMs I like there that have a decline setting which is a nice mix after doing some incline work.

The old time stair climber is one of my favs.  I used it a lot when training for Hyner a couple years ago.  I would go 2 miles on the TM, 20 min on the climber and repeat 2 or 3 times.  Our YMCA has a few although the one sounds like it's going to fall apart at any minute.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Mandy:  I actually didn't mind the TM too much...it was a way to get a quick 6 in.  Earl won't let me use the TM anymore.  He howls and barks his pissed offness at me.

Ha! Earl is a smart hound. Smile

Running is dumb.

NorthernHarrier

Mandy:  it was a way to get a quick 6 in.  

That's just too easy so I'll leave that one alone. 

NorthernHarrier

About to head out for maybe 5 miles on the road here in the hood. Head north early morning for the weekend including a snowshoe race then fly out to Utah for the next week. Not counting on any mountain trail running but maybe some lower elevation dirt can be had.

Gatsby--Hi back at you!

On the treadmill thing--I have no desire or the right mindset to do them. Certainly the peeps that use them can get some quality workouts in with a huge time savings vs. driving to trailheads, along with weather being a non factor, etc. I get all the positives but not for me.  Plus, I don't really mind the cold though it last a little long in our part of the country. Can't ride an indoor trainer much either. I do have a pretty nice elliptical sitting in the man cave with a TV in front of it which I use but seldom more than 30-35 minutes at a time. It gives me a decent workout with no impact which I appreciate after having screwed up my hips a couple times.

QOTD--I've never done a timed event and any race with more than two loops is too many. Point to point or one big loop for me.

Sandy-2

Bert-o - had the wicking gear on so not too much added weight, except all the water sloshing around in my shoes. The glasses were basically useless.  But yeah the lightening was a little too close for my liking.

mt - Both Lifetime gyms near us that we go to have those escalator-type stair climbers. The secret weapon for this flat-lander doing mountain hundreds.

XT - Yup minimalist tendencies, actually that little photo of me to the left with only the 2 handhelds was taken at Leadville.  I think it was somewhere about mile 52, just after the Winfield turnaround headed back up Hope.

QoN - Are you going to jump into the TRT?  

tbd.

Easy 3.5 around the neighborhood and walked a couple of miles at lunch.  Figuring out my training plan this weekend.  I think I have a pacer lines up for Hallucination 100 and that makes me happy.  Would be fun see Queen and Valerie there.  And funny that we'd be meeting up halfway across the country when we live within a few hours of each other.

QOTD: Timed races on small loops are not my cup of tea.  But I agree that they are pretty much the least stressful events that one could do, for  the reasons WC and AT mentioned.  I need more variety, apparently I am not good at that mental stuff...

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR