Trailer Trash

The Thursdaily (11/29) (Read 311 times)

AT-runner

Tim

AT-runner -- I got the same sensation when I started running in Hokas; freaky, huh?

Good, I thought it was just me.  I heard a noise like someone was running behind me so I turned around.  After the second time I figures it had to be the shoes.  I just swapped out the speed laces for the other pair the shoes came with.  

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

I thought I'd end up swapping out the speed laces, but I guess I'm getting used to them.

KreegSauceRuns

I bought some Hokas on the Clymb and the laces that came on them are entirely way too short.  I actually had to order speed laces from runningwarehouse for them.  I have one pair covered, now need a pair for the other.  If you want to donate your speed laces to a good cause, I'll gladly accept them.  Smile

1/8/22 - Frosty 50k - 5:21:19 (strava)

3/26/22 - Blackbeard's Revenge 100 - 27:27:06 (strava)

9/30/22 - Yeti 100 - Abingdon, VA - 25:46:01 (strava)

4/1/23 - Umstead 100 - Raleigh, NC

Occasional Runner

Lace: What does an ultra runner where to meetings and presentations, Brooks

or Asics.

I wear a black suit, no tie and a pair of Chuck Taylor high tops so they can tell I don't give a shit. This is when I'm addressing a big group. On a more local lever, I wear a t-shirt so I can show my ink. I add a pair of jeans and whatever running shoes I'm conditioning my feet for at the time.

Uh oh... now what?

I'm never going to keep up with all uh y'all.  Last minute sidetrack to check for whales--high wind and waves makes it really hard to spot them.  We "wasted" about forty minutes looking; saw lots of travelers, but no dorsal fins.  Off to the kettles and the distraction of creaking trees (once I establish it is not my knees).  The big trees sort of moan as they dance.  The smaller trees become the string section and they have everything from bass fiddle to violins.  We sometimes go a certain route just because of the music.  We stayed out about 90 minutes.

Hi all, each, everyone from the left coast.  Saw XT's name over on the almost-welcome forum thingie.

Three weeks and a day until solstice.

rgot

XtremeTaper

Hello all... seem the RW forums imploded during my long road trip and internet absence. Seen it happen before. They really do a fine job over there of messing up the forums that is for sure. I blame outsourcing and globalization.

The month of November for me was all about travelling and seeing family. I logged over 4,500 miles... on the car that is. Just regular places like OK, TX, and GA. We saw most of our immediate family. The focus was not on running, but I did some of that. The trails at Lake McMurtry near Stillwater, OK. Seems I always go there the wrong time of year. A perfectly peaceful run was interrupted 2 of the last 3 miles with close shotgun blasts, and it wasn't even deer season yet. My brother-in-laws cow pasture was a safe place to run if you could manage to dodge all the old encrusted cow patties.

But if you are ever in Tulsa OK, do yourself a favor and seek out Turkey Mountain. It's right in the city, but it feels like a wilderness in certain places. This east coast rock lover felt right at home there as the place is loaded with technical jaggedy rocky places. It's not a big place, but there are over 25 miles of trails they say, with tons of parallel and intersecting trails to throw you off course when you may be trying to follow one of the blazed routes. The ridge trail on the river side affords views up on high of the Arkansas river and even downtown Tulsa itself. A really cool place. I've been there before but had more time this trip to explore.

No running in TX as our stay there was short but GA found me wandering the trails of Sweetwater Creek Park again. A bit too crowded for my tastes, but the yellow trail over there sees less "tourist" traffic and probably has one of the sweetest miles of downhill single track I've seen anywhere. I liked it so much I climbed that little bitty 350 foot hill multiple times to run it again.

Haven't run at all since I've been home as I came down with the cold/flu like crud which has just recently let up. Went to the pet store tonight though to pick up the beasts little blinkie lights for their collars. Might hit that full moon in the woods yet this week.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Glad to see you here XT!  Hope the crud leaves you soon.

steph6565:  Your lucky to have running, ummm run in the family.

It's nice having a lot of family members who run but makes me wonder why I waited so long to start running. We get a little competitive with each other.  Well, I only get competitive with my mom and brother.  I'll probably never be able to catch my uncle or cousin, they are too speedy for me. 

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

AT-runner

Tim

Glad you found us XT.  Did the dogs get to run on your adventure?

Hope you remembered to shut the RW-Trail door on your way out.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

skeene07

Dirty Girl

Thanks!  That pic was actually taken during the Stone Mill 50 in 2011 (Maryland).  Great race!

Funny that you say SM 2011 was a great race. Most people seemed to be cursing it last year. Much better reviews of it this year though!

http://staceyrunsandeats.blogspot.com/

4/13 Bull Run Run 50 miler- DONE!

skeene07

Dirty Girl

Good, I thought it was just me.  I heard a noise like someone was running behind me so I turned around.  After the second time I figures it had to be the shoes.  I just swapped out the speed laces for the other pair the shoes came with.  

AT- I do that occasionally too. And I only wear them on the roads!

skeene07

Dirty Girl

Just did yoga today. Will run in the morning after work.

XT-glad to see you over here to! Sounds like you had an awesome adventure.

QOTD: No.

toyger

I'll join the daily fun since I'm now officially "initiated" into the group, although some have alluded to future hazing. Big grin

I do most of my runs in the morning, but last night I ran a few miles in the dark trying out some new trail shoes. They felt pretty good--not as flexible as my road shoes perhaps because they're made with Gore-Tex. We'll see... I should have run with more reflective gear because some of the areas weren't well lit and it was hard to see. 

Today is my cross-training day. I'm part of a masters swim team and had a tough practice this morning. We have a swim meet later this month.

QOTD: I haven't but I'm intrigued! Now I want a beer. Smile

Jen

sugnim

I'll join the daily fun since I'm now officially "initiated" into the group, although some have alluded to future hazing. Big grin

I do most of my runs in the morning, but last night I ran a few miles in the dark trying out some new trail shoes. They felt pretty good--not as flexible as my road shoes perhaps because they're made with Gore-Tex. We'll see... I should have run with more reflective gear because some of the areas weren't well lit and it was hard to see. 

Today is my cross-training day. I'm part of a masters swim team and had a tough practice this morning. We have a swim meet later this month.

QOTD: I haven't but I'm intrigued! Now I want a beer. Smile

Heehee--Hey toyger!  Lay off the beer & have a cup of coffee.  Today is Friday, not Thursday.  Clown

Ultra Cowboy

For XT...James Mc Murtry wrote a Song about your trip to the south....

Artist: James McMurtry
                                Song: Choctaw Bingo  
                                Album: Live in Aught-Three

Strap them kids in Give 'em a little bit of vodka in a cherry coke

We're going to Oklahoma to the family reunion for the first time in years

It's up at uncle Slayton's cause he's getting on in years
                                You know he no longer travels but he's still pretty spry
                                He's not much on talking and he's just too mean to die
                                And they'll be comin' down from Kansas
                                and from west Arkansas
                                It'll be one great big old party like you never saw
                                Uncle Slayton's got his Texan pride
                                Back in the thickets with his Asian bride
                                He's got a Airstream trailer and a Holstein cow
                                His still makes whiskey 'cause his still knows how
                                He plays that Choctaw bingo every Friday night
                                You know he had to leave Texas but he won't say why
                                He owns a quarter section up by Lake Eufala
                                Caught a great big ol' blue cat on a driftin' jug line
                                Sells his hardwood timber to the shipping mill
                                Cooks that crystal meth because the shine don't sell
                                He cooks that crystal meth because the shine don't sell
                                You know he likes his money he don't mind the smell
                                My cousin Roscoe Slayton's oldest boy from his second marriage up in Illinois
                                He was raised in East St. Louis by his momma's people
                                Where they do things different
                                Thought he'd just come on down
                                He was going to Dallas Texas in a semi truck culled from that big McDonald's
                                You know the one they built up on that great big ol' bridge
                                Across the Will Rogers Turnpike
                                Took the Big Cabin exit stopped and bought a couple of cartons of cigarettes
                                At that Indian Smoke Shop with the big neon smoke rings
                                In the Cherokee Nation hit Muskogee late that night
                                Somebody ran a stoplight at the Shawnee Bypass
                                Roscoe tried to miss 'em but he didn't quite Bob and Mae come up from little town
                                Way down by lake Texoma where he coaches football
                                They were two A champions now for two years running
                                But he says they won't be this year no they won't be this year
                                And he stopped off in Tushka at that "Pop's Knife and Gun" place
                                Bought a SKS rifle and a couple a full cases of that steel core ammo
                                With the berdan primers from some East bloc nation that no longer needs 'em
                                And a Desert Eagle that's one great big ol' pistol
                                I mean .50 caliber made by badass Hebrews
                                And some surplus tracers for that old BAR of Slayton's
                                Soon as it gets dark we're gonna have us a time
                                We're gonna have us a timeRuth Ann and Lynn come down from Baxter Springs
                                That's one hell raisin' town way up in Southeastern Kansas
                                Got a biker bar next to the lingerie store
                                That's got them Rolling Stones lips up there in bright pink neon
                                And they're right down town where everyone can see 'em
                                And they burn all night you know they burn all night you know they burn all night
                                Ruth Ann and Lynn they wear them cut off britches and those skinny little halters
                                And they're second cousins to me
                                Man I don't care I want to get between 'em
                                With a great big ol' hard on like a old bois d' arc fence post
                                You could hang a pipe rail gate from
                                Do some sister twisters 'til the cows come home
                                And we'd be havin' us a time
                                Uncle Slayton's got his Texan pride
                                Back in the thickets with his Asian bride
                                He's cut that corner pasture into acre lots`
                                He sells 'em owner financed
                                Strictly to them that's got no kind of credit 'Cause he knows they're slackers
                                When they miss that payment
                                Then he takes it back
                                He plays that Choctaw Bingo every Friday night
                                Drinks that Johnny Walker at that Club 69
                                We're gonna strap them kids in give 'em a little bit o' Benadryl
                                And a cherry coke we're goin' to Oklahoma Gonna have us a time

WYBMADIITY

Save