Trailer Trash

Memorial Weekender (Read 24 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Memorial Day Weekend. Time to kick off Summer!

That means a hot and humid run today with DW on a hilly 12 miler.  I picked this route because I was trying to stay out of the sun, but unfortunately, the trail had been logged recently and the ridge was total exposure. No breeze and really hot and sticky for 2-3 miles. When we finally broke into some trees, it felt like the temperature dropped 10 degrees. Limped along at a slow pace as the climbs were killing us.  Oh well, take what the day gives, and any run is better than no run.

Warden Tracker - So you don't have to search back for it.

Hope all the racers have a nice weekend.

QOTD:  Memorial Day - "Is a day to remember those who lost their lives in active military duty."  (As John M would remind us - Don't say Happy Memorial Day, it's a remembrance day.).  So, in the spirit of Memorial Day, who would you like us to remember?  I lost a childhood friend, Col. James Walton, in Afghanistan in 2008.  Jimmy was the youngest brother of a family we grew up with and even when he was 10 years old he said he was going to go to West Point.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

I might have made it two miles this morning, half walking. In fairness, this was after a friend fell and needed to head back to the cars. It was hot and humid and I was breathing hard with half lung capacity, so this was a mercy.  I might need a nap.

qotd: This is a hard one. Frankly, I don't have many recent family & friends in the military to start with, and the few I do have are still happily alive.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

6.5 miles run, 1.5 of these a death march. Hot and no shade, and just too many hills.

Our air air condition is still broken, and it is hot in the house all day. I am wondering if this will get repaired this summer. Sleeping in 82 degrees, and opening the windows does not help at all. Maybe we will sleep in the tent all summer, that would at least be a little cooler.

QOTD: I do not have friends or relatives who died in a war or during military service. I am thankful for that.

Run for fun.

Daydreamer1

24.9 Miles on the bike. Two weeks ago I had 2 or 3 bouts of hypothermia. Today I was overheating .

Good luck to Warden on his trek.   Wish we could change the tracker to miles. I know it's not hard to do the conversion, especially for distance but still......

FTYC -  If I remember right you rent. In that case sounds like your landlord sucks.  If not then the repairman should be a little more communicative and let you know what is going on.

QOTD:  All my relatives and friends either weren't in combat or came home unscathed.   DW did work with another person who's son died in Iraq.

What I do see a lot are those who came home and left part of themselves behind.  For many it was not something physical but rather mental. The man who was the only one in his platoon to be able to walk out of the Chosin Reservoir, or the one who fought over some obscure mountain and froze his feet. Both caused lifelong problems and in a way when you see their life and how it unfolded after that, it could be said that  they died too.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I traveled all day and even though it is still light out I am reDy fir bed.   So I looked at the tracker...where is Mike running to?

Memorial Day Weekend. Time to kick off Summer!

That means a hot and humid run today with DW on a hilly 12 miler.  I picked this route because I was trying to stay out of the sun, but unfortunately, the trail had been logged recently and the ridge was total exposure. No breeze and really hot and sticky for 2-3 miles. When we finally broke into some trees, it felt like the temperature dropped 10 degrees. Limped along at a slow pace as the climbs were killing us.  Oh well, take what the day gives, and any run is better than no run.

Warden Tracker - So you don't have to search back for it.

Hope all the racers have a nice weekend.

QOTD:  Memorial Day - "Is a day to remember those who lost their lives in active military duty."  (As John M would remind us - Don't say Happy Memorial Day, it's a remembrance day.).  So, in the spirit of Memorial Day, who would you like us to remember?  I lost a childhood friend, Col. James Walton, in Afghanistan in 2008.  Jimmy was the youngest brother of a family we grew up with and even when he was 10 years old he said he was going to go to West Point.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

So we went to watch the parade, and all the fire companies within a30-mile radius had joined the parade. Went to the carnival after the parade, and while we were there, five fire trucks, two ambulances and two police left with their lights and sirens on, going to some accident down the road or highway. At least, there were enough fire engines around, but I do hope there were no serious accidents in the areas that the other non-local fire companies serve while they were away.

DD1: the landlords suck. A bunch of lawyers owning real estate, trying to have it professionally managed. Worst case scenario.

We have been without heat and air condition since April, and the whole unit, heat pump outside, auxiliary inside, A/C and electric have to be replaced, and they are trying to tell me the repair company is “waiting for a part”. Oh yeah, show me one HVAC company who lets their customers wait two months to get their heat and A/C back. They’d be out of business before that part arrives. Scammers, those landlords.

I am wondering if I can withhold part of the rent, as this has been going on for so long, and there were/are many days where the temperature was way out of any normal room temperature rang. We had 62 degrees in April inside, and now 84+ in the bedrooms upstairs. Unbearable for sleeping. It’s 80 outside now, and it feels so much cooler than inside. And it 4- folded my electric bill for 2 months before they were even willing to send someone out to confirm it was kaputt.

Run for fun.

Sandy-2

Something happened to uesterday’s post. Well I didn’t run and just spent most of the day in the plane so I guess it’s no big deal.

Today I got up and did 7 mi, it was horrible!!  I’ve gotten used to the lower morning temps in Busan and London the last 3 weeks, and while I was away the temps here have gone way up, then add in the stifling humidity and the jet lag and I was cooked way too soon.

qotd: when I was very young I remember one of our neighbor’s older son was killed in the Vietnam war.  I still remember hearing that shocking news. All of the political fallout and anti-war protests that followed just a few years later were seen with my neighbors in mind, probably shaped a lot of my liberal views to this day.

tbd.

AT-runner

Tim

I traveled all day and even though it is still light out I am reDy fir bed.   So I looked at the tracker...where is Mike running to?

Think they are heading to Marias Pass, which is up on Rt 2 if you zoom out of the map.  He's through about 58 miles so far, and think he said it could be 120-140 miles depending on the route.  Will have to push to be out by Wednesday.

Ran 5 miles yesterday in the humidity. I was down 3 pounds after the run. That's a lot of sweat.  Might need to take my pack on shorter runs now.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

On the mt front, I just googled it and see that, as AT mentioned, the ending point is Marias Pass which is near Summit on Hwy 2, north of his current position.  He is close to intersecting the Continental Divide Trail which also goes to through the same ending point. It'll be interesting to see if he takes the CDT or keeps gong on the secondary trails that he's had to go on since he started.

Back to us mortals, I did 11 in the heat and humidity this morning, a real slug-fest.

tbd.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Ran 4 yesterday and 5 today.

I was stalking king a site where WRden and other’s were discussing the Bob...crazy.  One guy planned to hike in a raft and most of it.  Another guy want to parasail it but that was against the rules.   mike’s The man !!

QOTD:  I do not know anyone who has died while serving but I feel bad for all who have lost their lives and the family who miss them.....because of man. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Sounded like everyone got hit with the heat and humidity over the weekend.

FTYC - Hope you get that AC fixed.  I've spent a couple summers in northern VA without AC.  Not fun at all.

Hope warden is doing well!

Luckily it was raining when I went for the long run Sunday morning along the Catskill Scenic Trail.  Got 26 in.  Saw plenty of deer and rabbits.  Even ran into a turtle and a mink (or something in the weasel family).  And only 1 other runner (haha).

Almost got done with the tree.  Only the hard part left.

Before....

Now....

That was a lot of work.

Also got close enough to take a pick of a couple turkeys.....

QOTD:  Luckily nobody in my family who served lost their lives in duty.  However, my oldest brother in law was a helicopter pilot during the Vietnam War and was shot down and held in the Hanoi Hilton prison for over a year.  He was one of the last POW's released.  Luckily he has the strength and fortitude to allow that experience to appreciate life and all the smaller things most of us take for granted.  He has since gotten a doctorate degree, and now writes books, teaches, and consults for the government.  A true hero in our family.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours