Trailer Trash

Hawk Marathon RR - My first marathon. (Read 30 times)

RabbitChaser

What: Hawk Marathon
    When: September 14, 2013
    Where: Clinton Lake, Lawrence, Kansas
    Start Time: 7:00
    Finish Time: 5:42Tight lippedx

The short of it, I ran the race with a friend and had a blast. I treated it as a long run and treated it as a gut check to see if I had a chance at a 50K being held on October 19th. All in all, I'm very happy with how the race turned out, after all, I finished! :grin: This race was about 10 miles longer than my furthest run of the year. Just to finish it feeling good was a great feeling! If you want to read the long report, or see the photos, just follow the below link:

http://ericsrunningadventures.blogspot.com/2013/09/hawk-marathon-rr.html

Eric

LB2

That looks fun. Congratulations.

How is the 100 miler done? Loops? Out and Back? Point to Point? I am guessing loops. If so, how long is each loop?

LB2

jmctav23

2/3rds training

sounds like we had pretty similar experiences yesterday.  My 50k was about ten miles longer than my longest run and I had bunches of fun mixed with suffering.  I used to live in Lawrence before I was into trail running and I'd love to get back for a race and see some old friends.  The trails in that area are deceptively difficult...good job and congrats on your strong finish.

Eric, wow, your first marathon?  With all the previous running that you've done, I thought you had already run one.  Congrats, Clinton Lake is a pretty tough run!

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

Messenjah

Nice work man!!!! That trail brings back terrible memories of the grilled cheese sandwiches Smile

Sandy-2

Great job on your first marathon.  The trail looks really great.  I also liked the medal.

Thanks for the RR.

tbd.

muppy

Nice job on your 1st marathon!

Looks like you had a fun run too!

runtraildc

Congratulations on the race (and great photos-- thanks for sharing!)

RabbitChaser

LB2 - It was a blast! The 100 miler is done my running four loops of the 25 mile course.

jmctav23 - Thanks! Congratulations on a strong performance at your 50K!

Van - Thanks! This is my first trail marathon and what I'm considering my first official marathon. I covered more distance at the Equalizer Run last year, but at least 80% of that was walking.

Brad - Thanks! I had no part in cooking those grilled cheese sandwiches. Smile

Sandy-2 - Thanks! The trails were a lot of fun.

Run Muppy - Thanks! It was definitely a blast.

runtraildc - Thanks!

Occasional Runner

Congrats on your first marathon. I think it's about 4 minutes faster than my first. Thanks for sharing the report!

AT-runner

Tim

Congratulations on your first marathon.  Sounds like a fun day and that you had a nice strategy running with a buddy.  Nice pictures and thaks for sharing.

My only advice is you might want to read some information on taking ibuprofen when running long.  Current advice is to never take it  before or during a race or long run, and only take it after if symptoms persist and once your urine is clear.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

Thanks for the information on the 100 miler. I do like loop courses; they seem to be easy to get your head around. Well, they are very easy to get your head around before you start running. After that, it could go either way.

LB2

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Congrats on finishing your first marathon.  Nice race report and photos.  50k next? Doesn't seem like it should be a problem for you.  Congrats again and good luck on your upcoming training.

**Ask me about streaking**

moonlightrunner

congratulations! Nice report... and it sounds like u had a great time. I am trying to get up the courage to run my first marathon in December.Your report gives me incentive.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

RabbitChaser

lace_up - Thanks!

AT-runner - Thanks! I'll do some more reading on it. I figured as long as I kept hydrated, taking the equivalent of one does wouldn't be too bad. It was the first time I took any ibuprofen during a race. Thanks for giving the current advice on it.

LB2 - I haven't decided if I like loop courses or not. If it's a long loop course, I don't think I would mind keep doing the loop.

Jamezilla - Thanks! The 50K is indeed next, I registered for it today.

moonlightrunner - Thanks! I say if you can get in the training, definitely run the marathon. I had a blast during mine.