Trailer Trash

In need of injury advice (Read 22 times)

moonlightrunner

I have not been posting much lately, it just seems most days by the time I get to it the hour is late and no one is likely to see it.

I am seeking advice on my injury and what I should do between now and my June1 event.

I have osteoarthritis in my right knee. Because of that I have inflamed all of the supporting muscles between my hip and mid calf. The knee itself is not as painful as my hamstring attachment to my tibia, the hamstring itself, the quad, the groin and IT band. The hamstring attachment is by far the worse.

On June 1 I am running a 37 mile Fun Run at night. I use the term run loosely, I do expect quite a lot of hiking will be involved which is no less painful. My mileage has been hampered by this ongoing issue since January.

I want to run this event. I just had the bursa at the tibial attachment injected. So far no help there. I have been running 6 -10 miles 3 - 4  days a week, icing every day. I now have a prescription for a topical antiflammatory, a script for PT and a big ass brace to try (in  a desperate hope to stabilize something). Today's hopesd for 20 miler barely went down the trail 2 miles before the pain was too much. I ended up with 5 miles of painful hiking.. Even when not running...even when laying in bed the pain is nagging and often severe.

The only thing I can think to do is to totally lay off, run the event and hope for the best. What can you suggest in terms of upper body exercise that will help me maintain some of my aerobic fitness that does not involve using my legs?  Swimming comes to mind, maybe the dog paddle without using my legs. I don't know if I will be able to get even a PT eval much before the event and I am so running out of time.

Do you think a massage  to some or all of the injured areas might help? If so, do i get it now or just before the race? Any other suggestions?  I really want to run on June 1...and I don't want to make things worse.

Any suggestions would be welcomed. I hate this getting old crap and my body not working well. And constant pain kind of sucks.

Thanks you!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

runtraildc

I'm often accused of being too blunt so here goes. Stop running, and if hiking/walking is painful, don't do that either.  Let go of kettle morain. By the sounds of it, you're setting yourself up for making it worse. And no amount of massage or swimming is going to fix things in the next two weeks if you are in that much discomfort (based on opinion and life experience, not trained medical knowledge).

Swimming and even perhaps deep water running could be really helpful, but I think confirmation on this should come from your doctor and a PT.

Sorry-  But give yourself a break. Let your body heal.

Sandy-2

The only thing I can think to do is to totally lay off, run the event and hope for the best.

moonlight - first of all sorry to hear that things have gone sideways. I know it is totally aggravating and really sucks.

I have to admit, the real answer is what dc has said above.  Sounds to me that your body is screaming at you that it needs a break. You’ve even had an injection to quiet things down, but it really would be best to listen, take time off and forget the June 1st thing.

Having said that...  I’ve also been known to not be a very good listener and grunt through runs, so if you really must try to do it.......  Also with the disclaimer that I’m not in the medical field and just a warn out runner too...   It’d probably be best if you basically did what you said above take between now and June 1st totally off.  If you feel you have to do something, join a cheapo gym short-term and do some time on very low impact stuff, mostly go easy on an incumbent bike or maybe go slow and easy on a Nordic thing.  Really the main thing is rest/recovery and healing as much as possible before the start.

The only other ‘probably bad’ advice I’d have to add to the above is to check with a doctor to confirm that you likely won’t do permanent damage by doing the run.  You’d have to find a doc who knows runners or crazy weekend worrier athletes though because most docs would probably tell you to take an extended layoff and probably prescribe some more anti-inflammatories and pain meds.

Signed....  The Enabler.

tbd.

moonlightrunner

I suspect you are right. It is so hard to give it up. My doc is a great guy, but not a runner. I hope to find a PTthis week who has worked with runners.

Thank you. I do appreciate your candor.

I'm often accused of being too blunt so here goes. Stop running, and if hiking/walking is painful, don't do that either.  Let go of kettle morain. By the sounds of it, you're setting yourself up for making it worse. And no amount of massage or swimming is going to fix things in the next two weeks if you are in that much discomfort (based on opinion and life experience, not trained medical knowledge).

Swimming and even perhaps deep water running could be really helpful, but I think confirmation on this should come from your doctor and a PT.

Sorry-  But give yourself a break. Let your body heal.

moonlightrunner

Oddly enough, my doc did not advise me not to run, but he is not a runner and certainly has no idea what trail running could involve. Injections in the larger knee bursa have helped in the past. It irritates me a bit that I reported this other pain in January and he did not really think it was a big dealer make an effort to identify the source. He only addressed it this time when I asked if he thought it could be a stress fracture.

I will find a runner oriented physical therapist and see what she or he says. I really want to run this thing....but I am feeling less than optimistic.

Thank you!

moonlight - first of all sorry to hear that things have gone sideways. I know it is totally aggravating and really sucks.

I have to admit, the real answer is what dc has said above.  Sounds to me that your body is screaming at you that it needs a break. You’ve even had an injection to quiet things down, but it really would be best to listen, take time off and forget the June 1st thing.

Having said that...  I’ve also been known to not be a very good listener and grunt through runs, so if you really must try to do it.......  Also with the disclaimer that I’m not in the medical field and just a warn out runner too...   It’d probably be best if you basically did what you said above take between now and June 1st totally off.  If you feel you have to do something, join a cheapo gym short-term and do some time on very low impact stuff, mostly go easy on an incumbent bike or maybe go slow and easy on a Nordic thing.  Really the main thing is rest/recovery and healing as much as possible before the start.

The only other ‘probably bad’ advice I’d have to add to the above is to check with a doctor to confirm that you likely won’t do permanent damage by doing the run.  You’d have to find a doc who knows runners or crazy weekend worrier athletes though because most docs would probably tell you to take an extended layoff and probably prescribe some more anti-inflammatories and pain meds.

Signed....  The Enabler.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Yikes!  So sorry to hear that.  I don't have any useful advice but I hope you can find a good PT.  Just remember that everyone is human.

RE:  posting.  I tend to read the threads first thing in the morning, so yours would be right at the top.  So if it's in the middle of the night, don't hesitate to post, please!!!!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

AT-runner

Tim

I am seeking advice on my injury and what I should do between now and my June1 event.

I have osteoarthritis in my right knee. Because of that I have inflamed all of the supporting muscles between my hip and mid calf. The knee itself is not as painful as my hamstring attachment to my tibia, the hamstring itself, the quad, the groin and IT band. The hamstring attachment is by far the worse.

On June 1 I am running a 37 mile Fun Run at night. I use the term run loosely, I do expect quite a lot of hiking will be involved which is no less painful. My mileage has been hampered by this ongoing issue since January.

I want to run this event. I just had the bursa at the tibial attachment injected. So far no help there. I have been running 6 -10 miles 3 - 4  days a week, icing every day. I now have a prescription for a topical antiflammatory, a script for PT and a big ass brace to try (in  a desperate hope to stabilize something). Today's hopesd for 20 miler barely went down the trail 2 miles before the pain was too much. I ended up with 5 miles of painful hiking.. Even when not running...even when laying in bed the pain is nagging and often severe.

The only thing I can think to do is to totally lay off, run the event and hope for the best. What can you suggest in terms of upper body exercise that will help me maintain some of my aerobic fitness that does not involve using my legs?  Swimming comes to mind, maybe the dog paddle without using my legs. I don't know if I will be able to get even a PT eval much before the event and I am so running out of time.

Do you think a massage  to some or all of the injured areas might help? If so, do i get it now or just before the race? Any other suggestions?  I really want to run on June 1...and I don't want to make things worse.

Any suggestions would be welcomed. I hate this getting old crap and my body not working well. And constant pain kind of sucks.

Thanks you!

What you describe sounds like tendonopthay of the hamstring (exacerbated by the knee arthritis), and Hamstring Injuries are notoriously slow to recover and almost always require lay off.  Our sports ortho always tells patients to take a lay off after an injection.  He's a Ironman and ultrarunner, so knows what runners need.

If walking and hiking are still painful, then you need to stop those as as well to avoid further injury.

100% agree on pool for exercise.  If elliptical and or cycling is pain free, then that will be good.

100% agree finding a PT who is familiar with distance runners is essential.  You can ask at the PT center before your visit to see if they place you with the right person.

100% agree it sucks if you miss your event, but look at long term goals and not short term ones.

Good luck.  Sorry you are in pain.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Dang.  I'm really sorry to read this, Moonlight.

At this point in my life, I'm firmly in the back off and rest camp.  Races will always be there.  You can come next year and do the fun run.  Don't risk further damage for this.

And constant pain is so draining.  I've been dealing with some myself recently.  Sending you hugs.

Running is dumb.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

From someone who has had numerous types of injuries over the years, I would say be careful.  These things lead to other injuries due to favoring the area with pain.  I have nothing more to add than what was said.  A good PT may be your best bet now.  But what they recommend usually takes time and consistency.

Good luck.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

This is probably a situation where you are going to have to just suck it up and deal with the disappointment of not running the event, which is very difficult to do. I have had to do it in the past. However, I think the damage you do if you don't rest will be very difficult to overcome and will probably make things worse. My oldest daughter is a very head strong individual and ended up pushing through an injury that set her back a couple of years. Finally, she was able to get some relief, but she managed to mess up just about every tendon and muscle from her back to her toes. She had moved to Denver and just got a little carried away in the mountains. She is doing fine now, but she had to back off and heal.

LB2

moonlightrunner

I am pretty sure you are all right about laying off. You all know how disappointing that can be...but an extended lay off would be worse. I can point to what put me over the edge and that was my January race I should not have run with the injury I already had and continued to run despite the significant pain when running and hiking.

Damn.

Mandy, are you volunteering at Kettle? I may still come to volunteer...if I think I could use self control and not run anyway. My friend is running the fun run...we are so well matched it would have been fun to run with her.

And...Mandy and Harrier...I LOVE THE ICE AGE TRAIL! What a wonderful and gnarly place to run!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Mandy, are you volunteering at Kettle? I may still come to volunteer...if I think I could use self control and not run anyway. My friend is running the fun run...we are so well matched it would have been fun to run with her.

And...Mandy and Harrier...I LOVE THE ICE AGE TRAIL! What a wonderful and gnarly place to run!

No, I am not volunteering.  If the weather is nice, it's possible I may drive out and ride my bike around and try and catch a friend who is running.  That'll be a last minute decision based on how my hip is feeling and the forecast.  I will for sure PM you if I decide to make the drive.

Ha!  Glad you like the IAT.    Some parts are definitely nicer than others.  It actually goes right by my house, but it's pretty tame through Madison - think soccer parks and neighborhoods and golf courses!

Running is dumb.