Trailer Trash

Mom’s Weekender (Read 22 times)

Sandy-2

First of all Happy Mothers Day weekend to all the moms out there.

Once again I’m traveling for it, but I did pick up a little gift for my DW (the greatest mom for our kiddos).

I did my planned 10 miles today.  It’s a struggle to run here.  The temps really don’t drop down overnight and the humidity hangs up there in the morning too. When the sun hits it’s really strong.

I did my usual urban sidewalk thing along the lake, but then tried to find my way to the second lake and the bigger Sanjay Gandhi  park.  I sort of found a trail between the lakes along some mighty big pipelines.  I try to sniff out trails and less traveled paths when running in new cities. I guess the pipes are about 10 foot in diameter, there are 4 of them (presume some of the water supply for the city). I met this guy with a horse and a college kid who ran about a mile with me.  It was nice having the company and he pointed out some of the stuff we were looking at and answered lots of questions I had about the area and a mosque I had visited (that’s the wrong way plot you can see on the map). He did confirm that they have leopards in the area, but attacks are very rare and usually only on small pets and unfortunately small children.

qotd: I can’t think of anything right now.

The track, wrong turn where mile 3 is indicated, mosque at the end, no outlet or thru-road/path (bonus mile).

About mile 4, looking back the way I had just run along the pipeline road.

Same spot at mile 4, looking towards the way I was running (east) along the pipeline road.

The turn-around spot, about mile 5.75, my new friend showing me how to take a selfie with the horse, there was also an ox who was licking the salt off of my arms (not able to see it over my right shoulder). We climbed the pipeline in the background.

The bigger lake, climbed one of the pipelines so I could see it.

tbd.

AT-runner

Tim

Just getting ready to head out the door for a long run. Weather looks nice, 60* and mostly cloudy.

Dawn 2 Dusk 2 Dawn is underway.

D3 Live Results       D3 Live Video Feed

Folks from RA, George Sanders is in the 50K race, Bob Hearn is in 24hr, and running his usual consistent pace.

Sandy - I only have a little experience with running in foreign countries, but I do know how fun it is to look for trails.  Nice that you had a "guide" for a bit.

QOTD:  Percentage of time you run with a hat / cap?  99% for me, either full running hat, or if it's really hot, I wear a visor.  Mostly for sun protection, but now it's just part of my routine, so even wear a reflective one at night

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I think I’ll take the dogs for a lolly gag jiggly jog since long run is planned for Monday...than do some chores.

Qotd: A ball cap when it rains to keep it from hitting my face.  Warm hat in winter.

qotd2:  Best Mom story ...as a Mom, your children’s Mom or about your Mom or what you appreciate about your Mom.

My Mom fully supported anything you wanted to do... swim team? She was driving you there at 6am, 4H she was volunteer to help, sports...she was at every game...dance lesson sure we can do that.  She had 5 kids and did it for all of us!  She super proud of my running and  when we we in Mexico she walked around with my picture of me at Mt Hood to show everyone.

Sandy:  When I am down in Mexico I try to find trails but then they get a little sketchy  As a women I would of been a little scared to run alone there. Not because of the leopards though.  I bet when you were looking at the large lake you keep thinking...there has to be a sweet single track circling that lake!

Tim:  i sent your text to my friend but she’s nit backing off the 36 .  We are running along a river with multiple creek crossing, I will have a water filter so we don’t have to carry extra water.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

runtraildc

Just under 5 with the group this morning. It was cool(er) but quite humid. I also need to report that I actually did go to the gym last night for strength training. Just a few times recently have I not really done the run/workout I said I was going to do....

qotd: Not usually, unless it's winter and cold. Or it is raining (I don't like the rain on my face)

Q2: I love my mom, but she is a very passive/timid person and sounds quite opposite of Queen's mom in many ways. The good thing is that it taught me that if I wanted to do something, I had to make it happen on my own. She's supportive now, but I think it still shocks her that I am her child.  I take after my dad, I guess.

AT-runner

Tim

Just under 5 with the group this morning. It was cool(er) but quite humid. I also need to report that I actually did go to the gym last night for strength training. Just a few times recently have I not really done the run/workout I said I was going to do....

Look out, might be a Sports illustrated article about you.  But you came clean, so you're safe.

Are your group runs along Rock Creek?  And, Happy Mother's Day.

22 Miles with some good climbs. Best long run I've had in years, but back kicked in the last 2 miles which were downhill.  Jess did 20.5, which is the distance to the first cut-off at Wy'east 50 Miler.  She was 50 minutes under cut-off and felt pretty good. She worries, but she's stronger than she realizes (just ask NH and Warden).  She's been over 50 miles 6 or 7 times, but all those were at fixed time events and not fixed distance events, so I think that's what has got her worried.

EDIT:  George is looking good so far. 38.4k down in 5:30.  11.6k to go.  Go George Go!!!

Sue - make sure she take sit easy. Never saw a 36 miler for a 50 mile training plan, so have fun and relax.  Getting to starting line injury free is #1 goal right now.  If all works out, our DD#1 (Kirsten) can crew for any and all of us, at least the first time through Aquaduct AS.  She'll stay until Jess (or me) gets through the second time and then head for the finish.

QOTD #2:  My Mom is the Queen of Christmas Cheer.  Every Christmas was always full of family and friends, and if she caught wind that you might be alone for the holidays, then you were "told" you were coming to our house for Christmas.  We always had what we lovingly called strays at Christmas dinner.  Best example is when she met 2 older woman (who were partners) who had no families. They became our "adopted lesbian grandmothers" (a joke that they loved) and were part of the family until they died.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

35.6 Miles on the bike.  Rode out to the tasty freeze for some Ice creame.  DW has been putting the hammer down lately. If it wouldn't have started to spritz some rain we probably would have done about 40 miles.  Really, really want to get her up to some 50 mile rides.

Go George Go!!!!!

QOTD:  Always wear something. Used to be a visor unless it was raining or <60 degrees. Now I try to wear something all the time for sun protection.   If I'm on the bike I either have a helmet on or wear a cycling cap.  Those things are rather nice and I was starting to think of wearing one for running.

QOTD 2: We were always fed well. I'm not talking about large amounts of high calorie food, I'm talking about well prepared, nutritious food Pa Dutch Style.  In my teen years my Dad had a small trucking business. This required him and me to be coming and going at odd times.  No matter what time we left , or came home, we had breakfast or supper waiting.  Get home at 11:30 in the evening, supper was there. Get back up at 4 am, breakfast was made if we wanted it.  Always had a lunch packed if we wanted it.

Other then that she had a lot of issues that really held the family back.   With some of those issues raising their ugly heads lately I have been thinking about how  it seems that a lot of people with "issues" really have extremely strong personalities that can make other peoples lives miserable.  But it's mother's day,  I'll think of the few positives, not the many negatives.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Yes, I've been running, but not posting. Just did not have the time (I always read the whole thread before posting, so it takes longer).

3.5 miles today, in a light drizzle, but at a nice temperature. I had planned on a longer run with the boys on their bikes, but then my sister called, and we talked (and talked, and talked), and then it was late, and the rain started. And I'll have to be back at work tomorrow at 4 a.m., so I kept it short and sweet.

Sandy: Looks somewhat unreal, certainly a totally different landscape. Same as Sue, as a woman, I would have been scared to run there alone.

AT: That is a long run. Really long.

Queen: I hope you had fun on the dog stroll.

traildc: I really hope the humidity is going to go down as the summer comes rolling in. It's good for the flowers and trees, though.

DD1: Nice bike ride, with ice cream on top. 35 miles is just the right amount of calories, I guess.

QOTD: 100%. I don't like my hair going all around. It's curly, so when it gets humid or sweaty, there's no way to tame it any other way. Unless I forget. Which happens about once a year. So that makes it 99.6%.

QOTD2: My mom was always up to getting to know new places, new trails, new people, new countries and cultures. She travelled a lot with my dad on his expeditions, all around the world - you name it, they were there. Americas, Asia, China, Sumatra, Java, Indonesia, Africa, Europe. The only continent they did not set foot on was Australia - no interesting moths for my dad to include in his research, so they did not go there. She never complained. So she taught us kids to be open to all kinds of new experiences, and not to be judgemental (especially before knowing all the facts). The upside is that my sister and I developed into adventerous, curious, investigative and compassionate adults. Downside is that I am too kind sometimes, giving people the benefit of the doubt too often.

It is very sad that my mom has forgotten all her adventures and travels. It was always fun to talk about her journeys with her, and to remember details and stories together.

Run for fun.

Hi all!  Sorry to be a little MIA, swamped at work.  Going to Peru on Thursday and have a lot to get done before then.  Ran a trail marathon today.  Happy with how it went.  Hills galore but nice trails through redwoods, eucalyptus, bay trees, oaks, and dry scrubby stuff.  Occasional views across the bay to San Francisco.  Was 35 minutes faster than last year and 2nd in AG, woo.

Go George!  Go bhearn!

Sandy, I agree with Queen, unfortunately it's a little scary and unsafe to explore new trails in foreign countries as a female.  And not because of wildlife.

AT, love the adopted lesbian grandmothers story.

QOTD: yes, I wear a hat about 99% of the time to keep hair out of my face.

QOTD2: My mom was very bright, accomplished, and ahead of her time.  Became a doctor at a time when women were less than 10% of her class in medical school (which is where she met my dad, fortunately for me and my siblings).  Sadly, she developed early onset Alzheimers in her 60s so she left us way too early, even though she did not pass away until her 80s.  She sort of broke the curve for Alz survival rates, according to her memory care home.     But my best mom story:  there was a party at our vacation house in Ireland one year that morphed into a big shindig with lots of locals and a visiting German film cast who were shooting a movie in the town.  My mom opened bottles of Heineken like a champ for everyone and we have a pic of her wearing an empty cardboard Heineken case on her head like a crown while wearing a garbage bag.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Sandy-2

Left Mumbai at 1am and now currently sitting in the Munich airport waiting for them to lay us know the gate number.  On my way to London, since I’ve been traveling all night I’ll probably take a SRD today.

Queen, FTYC and Gatsby; I understand about exploring on your own.  I don’t like to get too isolated and the radar really goes up when I meet people in remote spots. Never know if they are going to take something (who knows, small money I carry, shoes, etc.) or even these days what could happen if they find out I’m an American (maybe I’ve been reading too many scary news reports). Anyway I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and I’ve never had any issues anywhere...  but I still get a bit cautious.

qotd 1: I wear a hat all the time to keep sun out of my eyes or rain off my glassy.

qotd 2: one thing I remember was that our Mom used to drive us everywhere pulling the trailer with our sailboat.  She’s drive us anywhere but would always say she couldn’t back the ring up.  We’d have to unhitch it and turn the car and trailer around separately.  She was the best and such a good sport.  With 4 boys I guess she had no choice.

tbd.

Sandy-2

Feels like being back on my home turf.  6 mi this morning. I should add that it was a crisp 43 deg, it felt so good after last weeks muggy and warm weather.

Happy Monday everyone. Hope your weekend was nice.

Congrats George!!!

tbd.

dhuffman63

Trails

Sandy what do you do that you travel so much to such interesting places?  I spent a week in London when I was in college and loved it.  Saw Tim Curry in Pirates of the Penzance, rode the tube all over, went to a Rocky Horror showing (not the same as in the US), just had a great time and the weather was perfect.

qotd: All the time, either a ball cap if it's warm or a knit cap if it's cold.

qotd2: My mom is like runtraildc's….very timid and no confidence in herself.  She's German and my dad married her in Germany while he was stationed there.  Brought her home and they lived with my grandparents.  When I was younger I just couldn't figure out why she let my dad treat her so badly but I can sort of understand it better now.  I love my dad but he's an asshole to my mom but he learned that from his dad.  I try real hard not to by like either one, at least not what I perceive to be the bad traits.

Spent the weekend doing chores and visiting DD so even though I probably could have I didn't do any miles.  Still waiting for the desire to do anything to come back...I know it will so I just take each day as it comes.