Trailer Trash

Treadmill Hill Workouts (Read 68 times)

Daydreamer1

My gym has one of these. Very appropriately named. 20 minutes on it and I feel like I'm ready to die.

^ this if you can find one, as you get into the upper levels you are running- it's a brutal machine.  I have a lot of hills to train on, but when the temp gets too cold, it's the stairs of death Big grin

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

funny we've had this same machine for close to 20 years at our gym and hardly anyone ever uses it, normally have to wipe off a little dust before I get on Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Trail Monster

You can also put blocks under the back of your treadmill so that 0% incline is actually downhill. I've been thinking about doing this since getting outside is almost impossible during the week.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

runner1304

This is all really great advice! Thank you again.

I usually run the trails with hills for my long runs (~4 hours every 2 weeks right now). I should probably start adding some repeats into these workouts especially since I can get the downhill training in.

Unfortunately, I don't have stadium stairs or a stair stepper or a tall parking garage nearby. My building is tall (20 stories) but the stairs are so narrow I would be afraid of injuring myself on them.

I really like the idea of blocks to simulate the downhill running on the treadmill. I wonder what my building would think? Its sorta a communal treadmill. I have some short 4"x4"s so it will be easy to try. I'll probably need to bring a level too to determine the new "0%".

03/23/13: Clinton Lake 10 miler

04/07/13: Chicago's Shamrock Shuffle 8k

05/11/13: DWD Gnaw Bone 50k

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I like the stairs of death.  Good workout but makes me a bit dizzy after 30 minutes of it.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I like the stairs of death.  Good workout but makes me a bit dizzy after 30 minutes of it.

I was forced indoors last week and wanted to get 8 miles or so in, so I went 20 minutes on the treadmill w/ hills, 20 minutes on the stairs, back to the treadmill for 20 and finished up w/  stairs for 20 minutes- it was nice breaking it up, but still a very challenging workout

I find an hour or more on either gets pretty old, fast

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

andrew.albright

Has anyone compared their heart rate for running versus walking at the same speed on the same % incline?

Trail Monster

No but I could. I usually record my HR in my log when I think about it or remember to wear my monitor.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Irish Luck

My gym has one of these. Very appropriately named. 20 minutes on it and I feel like I'm ready to die.

Don't you feel clumsy on the stairs of death?  The run of the step is not like a normal stair tread...most steps have a rise of 8 to 8.25" and a run (the depth) is 8.25" to 9".  The run on these are far too short--closer to 7".

BT survivor since 2003. Trail runner since 2009.

I think brain surgery stimulated my running nerve and made me into a trail runner. I'm grateful for both.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

after about 45 minutes I feel even more clumsy Smile

I do have to be half way careful not to be gawking around too much, a misstep could have a hurtful ending- as the speed goes up I find myself watching the stairs more

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

Don't you feel clumsy on the stairs of death?  The run of the step is not like a normal stair tread...most steps have a rise of 8 to 8.25" and a run (the depth) is 8.25" to 9".  The run on these are far too short--closer to 7".

I definitely have to pay attention to what I'm doing when I'm on it. All concentration no looking at the scenery Big grin.  I would much prefer to be able to run regular steps but these do the trick.

Messenjah

I put my TM on 9-10% incline last night for almost 2 hours at a 4.3mph pace and did 8 miles. It is really a burn that you don't typically get. It wasn't too bad other than the mental aspect.

runner1304

8 miles at 9-10% would be really hard for me. I've been doing 1 mile at 8% at 4.8 alternating with 1 mile at 1% at 5.4 and I find that really difficult though I'm not all that sore afterward.

03/23/13: Clinton Lake 10 miler

04/07/13: Chicago's Shamrock Shuffle 8k

05/11/13: DWD Gnaw Bone 50k

Birdwell

Yesterday after my swim workout, I hit the treadmill at the rec center. I wanted to see what my heart rate was for certain speeds at different inclines. I ended up setting it at a 24 % incline, at 3.5 miles per hour. I id that for 15 minutes, then I kicked it up to 30% incline. I had to back the speed down to about 2.5 to get into my comfort level. i'm trying to get comfortable with walking up a 24% incline, at 4.5 MPH, for 2 hours.

I'll keep trying this until the snow melts on my mountain.

Trail Monster

Yesterday after my swim workout, I hit the treadmill at the rec center. I wanted to see what my heart rate was for certain speeds at different inclines. I ended up setting it at a 24 % incline, at 3.5 miles per hour. I id that for 15 minutes, then I kicked it up to 30% incline. I had to back the speed down to about 2.5 to get into my comfort level. i'm trying to get comfortable with walking up a 24% incline, at 4.5 MPH, for 2 hours.

I'll keep trying this until the snow melts on my mountain.

What treadmill goes to 30% incline?! Mine maxes at 10% and the most I've ever seen was 15% I think.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop