Trailer Trash

Back to the heat Wednesday (Read 19 times)

dhuffman63

Trails

Marie I think that Europeans had experienced terrorism enough that they weren't surprised anymore (the IRA, the Red Army).  I can remember the first time I flew into Frankfurt and saw the security carrying Uzis.  Other than the OKC bombing which was domestic terrorism we Americans felt no one could or would attack us, especially not in the manner they did.  After living in Germany for 5 years it was a culture shock to come back.  I don't think I have ever lost the paranoia of wondering if there is a car bomb nearby.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

True, I grew up with terrorism being an everyday threat in many countries around Austria. Germany, Ireland, Israel/Palestine, Spain, Italy,...

My parents listened to the news on the radio every morning, and almost every day there was a report about a bomb having killed people somewhere. I think it was the magnitude of the 9/11 attack that was most horrifying to me, and the chaos that lasted for so long (compared to a car bombing).

In Europe, the older people have also experienced scenarios much worse than 9/11 over many years during WW2, where up to 98% of a city were destroyed just to the same extent as the twin towers (Leipzig, Dresden, Berlin, Wiener Neustadt,...) , live and in person, so they were much less impressed than young people who had never seen anything like it themselves.

Run for fun.